News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:30:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sealing Vinyl graphics before final clear coat?  (Read 3167 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sealing Vinyl graphics before final clear coat?
« on: August 08, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
Charles,
Hope all is well in Tennessee. I am working on a few new ships and will soon touch base about getting some vinyl graphics. One question, how do I seal it in. When I did the name/numbers on the El Diablo I had the trim and clear dope done, added the graphics then sprayed on the "death paint" clear (Max 2K). In some places the edges curled up. I had to seal them with CA.

I know you have used (and so has many others) vinyl graphics on numerous ship that I have seen first hand and they looked amazing. So how should the graphics be sealed before the final clear coat?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Sealing Vinyl graphics before final clear coat?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:12:01 PM »
Charles,
Hope all is well in Tennessee. I am working on a few new ships and will soon touch base about getting some vinyl graphics. One question, how do I seal it in. When I did the name/numbers on the El Diablo I had the trim and clear dope done, added the graphics then sprayed on the "death paint" clear (Max 2K). In some places the edges curled up. I had to seal them with CA.

I know you have used (and so has many others) vinyl graphics on numerous ship that I have seen first hand and they looked amazing. So how should the graphics be sealed before the final clear coat?

Best,   DennisT

Dennis,

The model has to be clean beyond belief before applying.  if a liquid is used to apply them, wait a day or so because they must be thoroughly dry before applying any clear.

The 2K clears are strong enough to hold corners down, even over time.

Just make sure you apply a good wet coat over the graphic or lettering.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »
my sister cut some vinyl for my racer.  i just didn't clear the model before applying them, and used dope.  let the lettering "stick up" over night, sprayed a coat over just the lettering, then went to town on the rest.  still looks great!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 07:10:19 AM »
my sister cut some vinyl for my racer.  i just didn't clear the model before applying them, and used dope.  let the lettering "stick up" over night, sprayed a coat over just the lettering, then went to town on the rest.  still looks great!

TJ,

I just saw this Post.

Looks like clear dope can be applied over vinyl.

I'm wondering if clear dope can be applied over vinyl that has printing ink on it. Like my ARGO and ARGO 2? The flag graphics is printed.

Auto clear is all I use.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here