News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grumman AG CAT 164. Bringing back the Past,  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Grumman AG CAT 164. Bringing back the Past,
« on: April 16, 2017, 02:35:18 AM »
Well, it doesn't take much for me to start a build, one e-mail actually inquiring about this AG CAT project I have going.

Quick back story.

I purchased this fuselage on ebay some time ago for less than 20.00. June of 2016.

I actually passed on it when I first saw the auction and so did the entire audience that viewed the thing.

The owner relisted it and I purchased it on the relist.

I thought I'd give it a new shot at life. Everyone deserves a second chance. Well, maybe not everyone.  LL~

The darker wood is what came with the fuselage. I did make the hatch for the tank area. 

I also replaced the small "T" nuts for the glass mount, R/C style. It was built for R/C as a bi-plane. 

I have no idea what direction to take, but I'm still a bit excited.

Took me a while to figure out the  model was an AG CAT.

And what a surprise it was seeing I've had the AG CAT in my drawing program for some time, couple of years.

So now just getting around to this is sweet.

All old photos though. I started this project June of last year when I scored the fuselage.

I'll get more photos up eventually. I do have some information on the fuselage and the model builder. I'll Post that information eventually.

I hope my AG CAT is well received.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
Re: Grumman AG CAT 164. Bringing back the Past,
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
In all honesty, when I first received this fuselage I was going to toss the thing.

But, I took a really good look at it, my guess is late 60's or early 70's, and, it's obvious this modeler spent a great deal of time building it.

I'm thinking it's a Travelair, possibly Grumman I knew it wasn't a Stearman.

Then it hit me. It's a Duster, probably a an old Grumman biplane duster. Certainly not old when the modeler started this scale or semi-scale project.

"Good" Will Hinton, hit it out of the park with his AG CAT build a few years ago,  and so did Dan with his award winning "Dusty."  Those two models, I knew someday I would tackle a Duster.  #^

I've been working on drawing Dusters for years and planned on building one from my own plans. Here's my CAD, "Computer Aided Drawing" efforts, these drawings are old and have now been improved and changed to fit the outlines of this fuselage.

I actually started a project the Fire Boss Ag Cat on floats. I drew plans for the Fire Boss and started building the fuselage. I've been working on that till I got this fuselage.

This fuselage is so close to the 164. All I had to do was scale the drawings to the length of the fuselage.

The rest, as they say, is history. I'm making progress but put the project on hold for the GBR3.

I loose interest quickly on any current project so I'm glad I have many going on that I can work on from time to time. I always get back to each and every one them.

Obviously, my interest is unusual projects not kit building. The only kit I've built straight out of the box was the Skyfall 007 Flite Streak.

Here's a bit more work completed on this Grumman AG CAT.

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
Hi Charles, are you looking to go semi-scale for just a fun flyer, or thinking full blooded scale?  This is a great subject for scale, it really wouldn't be too tough for you with your building skills to actually build a dusting capability into it!  That's option number one out of the way. Then you could do throttle (#2), taxi (#3)  High flight (#4), Missed approach (#5) and flaps (#6) and there's a fairly simple set of options to work with.  Don't forget touch and go for two options as well, life could really be rich for that plane in scale!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »
Hi Charles, are you looking to go semi-scale for just a fun flyer, or thinking full blooded scale?  This is a great subject for scale, it really wouldn't be too tough for you with your building skills to actually build a dusting capability into it!  That's option number one out of the way. Then you could do throttle (#2), taxi (#3)  High flight (#4), Missed approach (#5) and flaps (#6) and there's a fairly simple set of options to work with.  Don't forget touch and go for two options as well, life could really be rich for that plane in scale!

"Good" Will Hinton,

Hey! Hey! This is your fault.

Full blown scale is really difficult, I've said this many times, so I'm not up for that.

"Playful Scale" with unneeded detail is a bit easier. Plus I have no interest with almost flat bottom wings.

BTW. I don't believe these Dusters had flaps, not the 164 anyway.

I think I'll try for scale outlines, symmetrical airfoil, all of them, possibly throttle and as much foolish detail as I can maintain interest in.

I did pick a fine aircraft to model.

See what happens.

Thanks for the reply!

Hey! Post your Duster!

CB

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 02:09:58 PM »
following this one Charles
you have great care on building as usuall!
oratex on this one, maybe?
you can just paint over oratex and seal with clear, not even sanding is needed!
regards from Brazil
Fred

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 07:00:50 AM »
following this one Charles
you have great care on building as usuall!
oratex on this one, maybe?
you can just paint over oratex and seal with clear, not even sanding is needed!
regards from Brazil
Fred

Fred,

A professional modeler you are, thank you for the reply.

I'm not actually spending a great deal of time on this model at the moment, these photos are old, I just never put them up.

I have a few wings to design for my Biplane Pusher. When that is done I'll be back on the Gee Bee R3. I really want to complete this GBR3.

Thank you for the kind reply.

Here's another photo.

CB

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 08:07:02 PM »
C'mon Charles, you're teasing us with your several mentions of your biplane pusher, when ya gonna post some pics of that one?  Sounds really interesting - as all your projects are.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 06:14:06 AM »
C'mon Charles, you're teasing us with your several mentions of your biplane pusher, when ya gonna post some pics of that one?  Sounds really interesting - as all your projects are.

"Good" Will Hinton,

It's not intentional, I'll stop mentioning it. There will be no photos until the model is completed.

I plan on doing with the Biplane Pusher what some others do. That is, no build, no photos, no Forum participation, but Post photos when the model is finished, in all it's glory. You get more photo hits and kudos that way.  ;D

Oh, and questions.  LL~

There's little interest in my projects, probably because they are a bit different? Or, make up a reason.  LL~

I'm not sure anyone finds them "Interesting?"

I enjoy my projects.

Post your Duster! Did you fly it?

If you haven't flown it yet you should be trolled as I am for not flying a model. Like it's anybody's business besides mine.

"Good"

You know I love you baby, thanks for the reply.

Send me an e-mail. Wink, wink.

CB

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
I think a lot of people find your builds interesting.  I watch for your posts every day....but only comment once in awhile.  I think most people are like that.
As usual...watching this with great interest! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 06:06:06 PM »
I think a lot of people find your builds interesting.  I watch for your posts every day....but only comment once in awhile.  I think most people are like that.
As usual...watching this with great interest! H^^

Glenn,

I think you should comment every day and look in only once in awhile.  ;D

I have to come up with a radial engine for this model.

Thanks for the reply.

CB

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »
Guilty as charged, my friend!  The Pawnee has not flown yet, but getting remarried after losing my first wife of 51 years, moving to a different town, building a new 30 X 40 shop, building new decks on the "new" house, upgrading the electrical services, and a whole host of other "stuff" has used all the time available, let alone getting my three luthier students back on track.  So...maybe this summer I'll getterdun.
I'm really fighting my attitude as far as flying again this summer.  I just cannot get in the mood to do it!  I really would like to get back into the stunt world and try my best to qualify for expert class because I was so close five years ago when the "stuff" hit the fan, but I simply don't have the drive to get out and fly.  I plan to make me put some flights in as soon as the northwestern Ohio wind machine runs out of fuel and will see if that gives me a break through.
As to interest in your projects, I, too, watch them all but seldom comment because I'm just cruising through.  I love your work, especially the incredible cockpit detail you do, so dontcha dare stop!!!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 05:19:19 AM »
"Good" Will Hinton,

Yup, that's the model! And what a beauty it is.  H^^

You never did Post a "bunch" of finish photos that I remember?

There should be a "Crop Dusters" Thread where modelers can Post photos of their agricultural models, actually, BTW, are looked upon as equipment I believe?. Utility rating? Possibly.

I think I'll do just that and put up a "Crop Duster" Thread.

I know you have had some ups and downs and I'm glad much of that is ending.

Flying models isn't as important as life, neither is building them. Kick back, get the important things done and the rest will catch up with you.

Your Pawnee will start the Thread off. I hope the Thread is well received and supported by other modelers.

Blessings,

Charles

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
Thanks for the kind remarks for my Pawnee, I'm honored to be at the top of the list. H^^

Offline Bud Shipley

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »
Speaking of ag planes-anyone remember Tom Dean and his Aeronica?  I saw it at Dallas Nats in 1954 or 55.  An amazing airplane:  Thomas Dean of Corpus Christi dries off his Aeronca -

Two-time flying scale champ Thomas Dean of Corpus Christi (lt.) dries off his Aeronca "duster" model. Power was Cameron .19. Everything works on model including prop on duster bin, tiny seat belts, shock absorbers.
Sorry I couldnt copy the picture-tech impaired.
Bud Shipley

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »
Speaking of ag planes-anyone remember Tom Dean and his Aeronica?  I saw it at Dallas Nats in 1954 or 55.  An amazing airplane:  Thomas Dean of Corpus Christi dries off his Aeronca -

Two-time flying scale champ Thomas Dean of Corpus Christi (lt.) dries off his Aeronca "duster" model. Power was Cameron .19. Everything works on model including prop on duster bin, tiny seat belts, shock absorbers.
Sorry I couldnt copy the picture-tech impaired.
Bud Shipley

Bud,

Thanks for the reply.

Those were the days of "real" model building.

Here's the photo.

CB

Offline Bud Shipley

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »
Really enjoy reading about your Ag Cat-a totally macho airplane.  See them in Ga coming in low over the interstate-doing a hammerhead turn and coming back.  Whats not to like!
Bud Shipley

Offline Bud Shipley

• New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »
BTW Thanks for posting the picture!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
Really enjoy reading about your Ag Cat-a totally macho airplane.  See them in Ga coming in low over the interstate-doing a hammerhead turn and coming back.  Whats not to like!
Bud Shipley

Bud,

Thank you for that. I have a few other things to do but I'll be back on this model soon.

The NATS in the 50's, that has to be an inspiring event.

Certainly you were a youngster, correct?

11 Posts. I'm glad to be part of that eleven.

Thank you,

Charles

Offline Bud Shipley

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »
Charles I was about 13 when I went to the first NATS in Dallas!  Actually I won the trip at a local contest in Louisville.  A hobby shop owner from New Albany took myself and 2 other friends to the meet.  The other two guys were jockeying to ride directly behind the driver.  The one who wound up there was constantly rolling his window up and down because the driver was chewing tobacco and spitting out the window.  We had a great time. 
Went to Willow Grove, Pa the next year.
Look forward to more info about your Pawnee!
Thanks
Bud S.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 11:40:58 AM »
Efforts to arrive at a reasonable scale looking engine.

It's not hidden by a cowling so some detail will be made.

I started to make the entire thing out of wood, I drew all the pieces in CAD but decided it's a bit of work.

Best choice is now William Brother's Wasp cylinders.

I'll be adding more build photos, so stay in touch.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 06:46:13 AM »
I'm not sure any more about the Jen .57 for the AG Cat?

Biplane, two wings, that's a lot of spent fuel to clean.

Electric? It's on my mind.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here