News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:16:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eureka Grumman SA-16 Albatross  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Jim Carter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Eureka Grumman SA-16 Albatross
« on: April 06, 2017, 12:05:22 PM »
 :) Well, greetings everyone!  I was asked to create and post a build on what I call my "Mikey" project.  One of the things I like to do is keep a daily log/diary of everything I do on my various builds to include my frustrations, my successes, my surprises and my "awwww sh---" moments.  So as you read this, you may notice the change of tense every now and then because much of the build log will be comprised of extracts directly from my daily notes.  I mentioned in a different post on this site, that the kit received this name because it has apparently passed through a number of hands and nobody else wanted to take it on to completion.  Okay, let's get started, shall we!

Just to give a bit of background, I received this kit from one of the guys I fly with, Don Nakonachy (hope he forgives me misspelling his last name) back on Saturday, May 14, 2016.  Once I got it home I surveyed the kit and found that the wing plan was missing as well as a couple of frames, some ribs some broken stringers etcetera, etcetera ... the typical "Give it to Mikey .... he'll eat anything" kit.  I did some research into the history of the kit and company and was surprised to find the following post: "The Eureka line of Japanese kits was sold in the U.S. by Eureka Importing Co. of Oklahoma City. The company was owned by Jerry Asner; Jerry was a GI in Korea and spent time in Japan in the early 1950s. An active modeler, Jerry made contact with a Japanese model company through his model flying activities in Japan - he took samples of the kits back to San Diego when his tour of duty was up. Getting some positive response to the kits, he went back to Japan and obtained permission to export kits to the U.S. for his newly formed international company, Eureka. The all kiri wood kit was unacceptable to the U.S. market so Jerry manufactured balsa parts in the U.S. to replace sheeting and large blocks; the precut kiri wood bulkheads, ribs etc. were retained. Balsa wasn't available in Japan at the time.

The advertisement shown below is from the February 1956 issue of Flying Models for the San Diego Model Shop. I suspect that this was Jerry's initial effort to sell the Japanese kits.

Wow, $26 in 1956,, that was a pricey kit."

Well, armed with this information my interest was really heightened and I did some additional digging to find out the history of the real planes and I was able to come up with a whole host of wonderful information, history and photographs.  Around 26 May through 16 June 2016 I began the process of replicating the parts making templates and plans but I ran into a real problem coming up with a workable wing plan because of the unique way the wing had to be assembled.  It was at that point that I decided to stop because without the wing plan and the correct frames, I didn’t think I wanted to be bothered with replicating the parts.  Besides there were a couple of other projects that I decided to work on first.  Well as life would have it on Friday, March 10, 2017 For the heck of it, I decided to open the box and begin assembling what may prove to be one of the most difficult projects of late.

I started by cleaning some of the old glue off the joints from the previous builder then I glued the two keel pieces together and began mounting the frames.  I had to try to replicate the missing formers F-4 and F-5 from 1/8” plywood.  Fortunately, I was able to fit the two stringers into their previous slots in the frames and could tack glue everything together.  I piddled at the puzzle of how to best add the formers F-11, F-12, and F-13 but the solution eluded me at the time so, after checking the emails, I powered down for the evening around 1837 or so.

Saturday, March 11, 2017
I resumed work on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS and set up the stringers for the three frames along with fabricating a new full-length top stringer for the fuselage.  Next, I tack glued the vertical stab and fin in place to check the alignment.

Sunday, March 12, 2017
I resumed work on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS by setting up the various components for the wing to see how best to proceed.  One thing I noticed was that I might have to reshape the spar section that holds the engines because the three view drawings show positive incidence for the engine nacelles.  Of course, it may be all right once things begin to be glued in place.  I did my best to fit the leading edge framing.  Even though this is just temporary fitted, I’m not happy with the way it looks at the moment.  Maybe it will look better when the trailing edges are tack glued in place.  I stopped for the evening after updating the logs.

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Eureka Grumman SA-16 Albatross
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »
Wow an abisious build. Nice work.
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Online Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 02:52:39 PM »
Fantastic work,  I remember these kits .    I had a DC-3 at one time out of the set but never flew it.   Please keep the pictures coming ,  should be a great model.

Dalton    
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 05:27:09 AM »
Jim, i was lucky enough to be sent to this thread by good friend Charles
the Eureka kits are really impressive, although heavy and over engeneered, but hey, who´s done such ambitious control line scale models back then? even today!
still dream of building on of those, but they are too pricey for Brazil. maybe someone can redraw them and do modern laser cut with moder technics and sell a few!
really loved the drscription fo your project and the clean building, will be following this one closely!
wich engines do you plan to use? Brazilian ar force have this one one too, have seem a few of them at museums
regards from Brazil
FRed

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:04:37 AM »
 :) Thanks for the kind words guys.  Honestly, I didn't think anyone would be interested with what I do because I'm nowhere near the patience and skill of builders like Charles and so many of you.  I can only hope that my work meets you expectations as time goes forward.  Thank you!   :)

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:48:23 AM »
Monday, March 13, 2017
I spent a few minutes looking over the Albatross and realized that the landing gear in the kit didn’t look right; no matter how I positioned them neither of the nose gear fit properly.  There were two different structures that came in the box and I just couldn't figure out which one was the correct one according to the fuselage plan.  Boy, do I feel sick and silly.  Oh well, I moved to something else and for some unknown reason, I tack glued the engine mounts to the main spar using some thin CA (thankfully) but I now realize that I shouldn’t have because the mount appears to be too far aft and leaving it there would require me to cut through the main spar to bolt the motors in place.  Remember the "awwww sh--" moments I mentioned earlier ..... this was one of them!!  In addition, the motors for the kit are or were apparently mounted inverted, I don't know because I still haven't been able to acquire a wing plan.  Now I have to figure out how to safely undo the mounts.  After a few hours of using my Xacto blades and Xacto chisel I removed the mounts.  I decided to relax a bit and opted to add a brass bushing to the aluminum bellcrank for longevity, and then I added the .021” leadout wire.  I spent a couple more hours trying to resolve the wing incidence issue with the plane and by 1900 or so when I quit for the evening, I believe I may have a suitable resolution.  The big question is whether it is suitable once everything is glued in place!

Tuesday, March 14, 2017
I worked steadily to figure out how to frame the wings and maintain alignment and incidence.  I came to the idea to weight the wing ribs flat to the work surface, trim the ribs such that the trailing edges aligned straight and touched the frame F-8, then tack glue the trailing edges in place.  I had hoped this would align the ribs and give the wings the correct incidence.  I’ll know when both wings are done.  I tack glued the ribs to the spar then opted to glue a piece of 1/16” balsa sheet to the bottom of the left wing in hopes that that would be the way to help the wing hold the correct incidence.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017
I decided to apply couple more sheets of 1/16” balsa sheeting to the wings to see how they would retain incidence and be strengthened.  I will still have to apply some more glue to the ribs and joints.

Thursday, March 16, 2017
I started the session by gluing another piece of top wing sheeting to the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS then I glued the ribs in place on the spars.  It looks like the wings and engine nacelles will hold their incidence.  One thing it for sure, there’s no going back at this point.  I spent a bit of time checking the emails and surfing then resumed work on the plane.  This time I focused my efforts on beginning the shaping of the leading edges of the wings.  I’m going to have to reshape some of the ribs to ensure I can apply the 1/16” balsa sheeting.  During the rounding process, I found that both wings had some areas that may require the addition of some filler material to get the correct shape and even flow on the leading edge.  When the right wing was done, I decided to add the wing tip.  It is made of some kind of hard wood (probably the kiri wood mentioned in the research of the kit's history) and to get it to fit correctly, I had to make a 1/8” balsa tip rib, shape it undersized by 1/16” top and bottom then fit it and glue it to the hardwood tip.

By 1630, I had completed the mounting of both wingtips and decided to quit for the evening.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
 :) Friday, March 17, 2017
Around 1100 or so, I resumed work on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  I don’t know if I’m right or wrong but I decided to complete the bottom wing sheeting simply because I should be able to install the motor mounts and fuel tank without too much problem.  Both sides of the main spar and a couple of the ribs had to be trimmed down a bit because the sheeting wouldn’t lay flat and resulted in an unsatisfactory wavy sheeting.

Once the spar and ribs were correctly shaped, I added the 1/16” balsa sheet.  To ensure a tight and smooth fit to the butt joints of the 1/16” sheeting, I added a few pieces of 1/16” scrap to the bottoms or the surfaces that were first glued in place thus creating an aligning support for the piece of sheeting to be added next.  I’m satisfied with the result.

I prepped the top wing sheeting by adding some scrap 1/16” supports before applying the actual sheeting to the forward edges of the wing.  Once the tabs were glued in place it was a simple matter of adding the outboard sections for the top wing sheeting.

At this point, I opted to begin sanding and shaping the horizontal stab and elevator and marking the centerline for each.  I had to take a brief pause so I could make some more iron-on hinge using some red Coverite.  With them made, I cut four - 1” sections and ironed them thus joining the horizontal stab and elevator.  I test mounted them for looks and I’m pleased.

Now it was time to begin work to install the bellcrank and pushrod assembly.  I’m considering using nyrod rather than a straight wire pushrod.  I like the nyrod idea because of the ease of installation but the straight wire has its benefits as well.

Saturday, March 18, 2017
I resumed work on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  During this session, I focused on hooking up the bellcrank and elevator and to do this, I opted to use some nyrod with 4-40 fittings.  When I finished it all worked smoothly and I was satisfied.  I added some braces to the shroud housing in the middle of the run and near the exit.  Lastly, I took a chance and sat the thing on the wheels that came with the kit.

The nose wheels really do need to be replaced so I’ll have to order some 1-1/4” wheels because the 1-1/2” wheel that I have will change the way it sits and because of the way the main struts were bent, I won’t be able to use larger main wheels.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »
WOW!  You don't let any grass grow under your feet, do you!  Nice to see someone building something out of the norm.  Damned tired of P-51s, etc. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
WOW!  You don't let any grass grow under your feet, do you!  Nice to see someone building something out of the norm.  Damned tired of P-51s, etc. H^^
Greetings kind sir!  Thanks for the kind words.  Actually I'm much further along on the build than what is currently posted.  Out of habit, I try to document what I do on a daily basis in both words and photos but as I understand the rules of the site, I'm only allowed to post so many words and photos per day, I think.  At least when I tried to post a longer segment comprising 3 days work and photos, the site rejected the post, twice, so I gave up and settled for posting the two days, which you just looked at.  Just so you'll know, my actual document in Microsoft Word with verbiage and photos is currently 40 pages long  ;D!  Since I typically build for the sheer challenge and fun of a project, if I can ever find a buyer for the finished plane they will receive that along with the plane and all documentation; the same goes for a KYO B-29 (of the same genre) with its 141 page build log plus documentation  ;D.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »
 :) Sunday, March 19, 2017
I got up around 0800 this morning, I resumed work on the Grumman Albatross after checking the emails and so forth but I am still not certain as to the best way to mount the main landing gear struts.  I used the Dremel to rout out a slot in the main spar and that looked good but I still haven’t figured out how to secure the struts in a way that doesn’t put too much stress on the wing sheeting nor the main spar and ribs.  I stopped around 1154 and got ready for church.  When I returned home, I came back in the workshop facing the same problem with the main landing gear.  So rather than waste the rest of the afternoon, I decided to take a chance and begin sheeting the aft section of the fuselage.  It went fairly smooth and by 1830 or so, I decided to stop and document the progress.  Again, I like what I see.  With this portion done, I decided to stop for the evening.

Monday, March 20, 2017
It’s a nice, cool morning.  I got up around 0810 or so, dressed, played t game until about 1000 or so then came into the workshop.  I powered up and started the day working on the Grumman Albatross again with the goal of enclosing the tail section.  I took a bathroom break around 1045 or so, greeted Fran who handed me some cereal for breakfast, then returned to the workshop.  I spent a few minutes while I ate, updating the log and checking the emails.  When I finished, I pressed on until I had completed the sheeting and rough shaping of the aft fuselage and tail cone area.  So far, so good!  I added the first layer of wood filler to the tail section before moving on to something else.  I removed the old rotted wheels from the nose gear and with no plan or concept of how the kit suggested mounting the nose strut, I decided to use my best guess and braced it against the F-2 frame and hope for the best.  To add a bit of confidence, I did use thin CA to try to harden the wood of frame F-2.  Next, it was time to come up with a suitable arrangement for mounting the main gear strut into the wing.  I used the Dremel and a 1/8” drill to rout the slot in the main spar a bit deeper such that the strut would be recessed sufficiently that I could inlay a 1/8” piece of plywood between the strut and the wing sheeting.  Then, with the plywood in place, I could build up a box of sorts that would enclose the strut and at the same time be glued to the main spar and the adjoining wing rib for maximum strength.  Next, it was time to come up with a suitable mount for the main strut inside the fuselage at frame F-5.  Although it may not be pretty, I inlayed pieces of 1/16” plywood to create an enclosed mount for the strut.  I closed the today’s session by epoxying a 1/8” piece of plywood across the two leading edge segments thus joining them to the rear of the frame, F-5.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017
I returned to the workshop and resumed working on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  This session began with trying to figure out how the nacelles went together and how they would best fit in the wing.  I had been thinking that the fuel tanks fitted inside the wing but after playing around with the nacelle formers, N-1 and N-2, it became apparent that that was incorrect.  The tanks fit forward of the leading edge just in front of the N-1 former.  With that realization, I felt a bit more comfortable gluing the pods in place when the time comes.  Because of the angle of the nacelle in the three view drawings, I decided to add a 3/16” piece of balsa as a shim under the motor mount on the leading edge of the wing and it looks pretty good.  I applied a coat of finishing resin to the motor mounts and the adjoining compartments and structures.  I opted for the finishing resin as it is a bit thinner in viscosity and soaks into the wood a bit better than the 5-minute epoxy thus giving a bit more protection to the older dried looking wood.  In addition, I added a bit to the areas built up around the landing gear struts for a bit more strength.  Now to set it aside for about 3 hours for it to cure.  I brought the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS back to the workbench and resumed the build process.  This time I worked to complete the top sheeting of the wing.  I sanded and shaped the nacelle frames in preparation for sheeting.  I have a feeling this will be quite challenging due to the compound curves.  I decided to wait until another day to start this because it has been a productive day and I’m a bit tired. 

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »
Jim - I may have to take a run over to Titusville when this beauty is ready to fly .... Nicely done .... y1 y1

Larry
Lakeland, FL

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
Jim,

Gotta hand it to ya, those certainly perfect kits, but you're doing a fantastic job!  H^^

I noticed, top photo reply #9, looks like a flexible pushrod in a sleeve. Is that what I'm seeing?

Have you had experience with that type of install before? Any concerns with flexing, trimming, hunting?

Do tell all.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 07:20:51 AM »
Jim - I may have to take a run over to Titusville when this beauty is ready to fly .... Nicely done .... y1 y1

Larry
Lakeland, FL
Hey there stranger :D!  How the heck are you doing?  Haven't heard from you in so long I thought you'd forgotten all us coast huggers  ;D!  Man, you gotta' know you'd be welcome with an open spot in the center of the circle!  B'sides we ain't had a good hootin' laugh in quite a while, eh!  LL~ LL~

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 07:31:25 AM »
Jim,

Gotta hand it to ya, those certainly perfect kits, but you're doing a fantastic job!  H^^

I noticed, top photo reply #9, looks like a flexible pushrod in a sleeve. Is that what I'm seeing?

Have you had experience with that type of install before? Any concerns with flexing, trimming, hunting?

Do tell all.

CB

Howdy cuzzin'!  Thanks!  Yep, you got it!  Sure, plenty!  I fly r/c pretty well .... probably not as often as I used to but I keep my skills up.  As far as flexing, trimming and hunting, nope, I don't see why it should be of any concern.  I'm using the 4-40 Sullivan Pushrod and just as any r/c the run has been braced/supported at two separate frames internally.  Why, haven't you used this kind of setup before? 

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
Howdy cuzzin'!  Thanks!  Yep, you got it!  Sure, plenty!  I fly r/c pretty well .... probably not as often as I used to but I keep my skills up.  As far as flexing, trimming and hunting, nope, I don't see why it should be of any concern.  I'm using the 4-40 Sullivan Pushrod and just as any r/c the run has been braced/supported at two separate frames internally.  Why, haven't you used this kind of setup before? 

Jim,

I had them going to the engine for throttle. Red tub yellow insert. Sometimes just the yellow with a brass cable.

Old kits had bell cranks in the wing for ailerons, like my Sterling Stearman biplane. Newer kits had servos in the wings, like my Pica Waco. I think?

My pattern ships had Dave Brown arrow shafts. I still have a bunch.  n~    Wanna buy some arrow shafts?  LL~ LL~

Have you actually used that cable setup for CL? Looks like you made mods to it. Part list and Vendor?

Looks like a difficult build.

But a really nice build!  H^^

CB

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »

Have you actually used that cable setup for CL? Looks like you made mods to it. Part list and Vendor?

Looks like a difficult build.

But a really nice build!  H^^

CB

Yep!  It's a pretty basic setup though.  The bellcrank came with the kit and seems to be an aluminum like the old Perfect P-223's.  So I decided to add some brass eyelets to act as bushings for the 75# lead out cables, Brodak BH-218, and at the 4-40 pushrod "Z" bend connection.  the cables were lock wrapped and crimped using brass crimps.  Nothing unusal about the setup and should sustain a minimum 50# pull test .... it not .... I'll relegate to the junk pile  %^@!   LL~ LL~
* 2017-03-13 Grumman Albatross Bellcrank Bushed (1)t.jpg (47.95 KB, 461x346 - viewed 12 times.)

* 2017-03-13 Grumman Albatross Bellcrank Bushed (2)t.jpg (42.5 KB, 461x346 - viewed 11 times.)

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
awesome modelling here, just amazed how fast you go
certainly a lot of adjustments had to be done, i have one of those kits at hand (globemaster) and saw how poor engeneered they was.
did you know that eventually this company became or was bought by Kyosho?
have you decided on what kind of finish and colors?
regards from Brazil

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 01:21:54 PM »
awesome modelling here, just amazed how fast you go
certainly a lot of adjustments had to be done, i have one of those kits at hand (globemaster) and saw how poor engeneered they was.
regards from Brazil
Hi Fred!  How is everything in the land of Ipanema and Copacabana?? ;D  Thanks for the kind words.  I found the early historical quote that I reposted at the beginning of this thread to be rather informative  :).  I too have been led to believe that the company was eventually morphed into Kyosho but I've not see anything definitive but it would be interesting if it were true.  Yes, without question, the early engineering and choice of materials was a great deal more challenging by today's standards.  But on the other hand, just imagine the quality, patience and skill of the myriad builders, from all nations of that era, who were unquestionably able to take such rough kits and produce finished, flyable and competitive models :o!  In comparison, we must seem like "whinning babies" to those early builders considering all the modern tools, lights, adhesives, carbon fiber, super glues and so forth  :-\.  In some ways, I feel it a bit of an honor just to even try and tackle working with the same materials they had to use but I'm not giving up my Dremel, CA's or Craftsman Band Saw for anyone  LL~ LL~!! 

I completed the replication and return of a KYO B-29 kit one of my friends owns.  I have successfully flown it a couple of times using r/c throttle control and it's quite thrilling to fly as you can imagine.  I've also been loaned a KYO P-38 that will be the next project, hopefully.  Have you given consideration as to when or if you will build your Globemaster?  Would you consider allowing me the honor of replicating your kit so that I might build one? 

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
regards from Brazil
Sorry I failed to answer your other questions, so let me try:  in response to your question and mine about the history of the two companies, I just wrote a question to Kyosho America Headquarters asking just that question.  I'll let you know what their response is when it comes.  As for your question about finish and colors, I'm leading towards replicating those of the US Coast Guard but we'll see.  They, had some that used to fly in Florida and I need to check the various museums in the area to see if I can get some photos and so forth.  I want to avoid a few problems with replicating the dimensions of the markings, their placement and colors.   ;)

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 04:10:12 PM »
 :)  Wednesday, March 22, 2017
I came into the workshop around 0930 or so and resumed work on the Grumman Albatross.  I started by trying to figure out how to shape the balsa around the compound curves on the top of the nacelles.  I spent nearly the entire morning and early afternoon planking the nacelles using 1/8” x 3/32” balsa sticks.  By 1630, I had the outboard halves done.

Thursday, March 23, 2017
We received a bit of rain this morning and I am thankful, though we could use more.  I resumed work on the nacelle planking.  By 1730 or so, I had completed the nacelle planking, both top and bottom, and added the bottom sheeting to the fuselage.  Considering it’s not going to be in the water, the profile seems to be pretty close to that of the real plane.  I worked a bit longer and managed to fit and attach the lower fuselage sides before quitting for the evening.

Friday, March 24, 2017
I got up around 0810 or so and resumed work on the Grumman Albatross.  I began by adding the upper fuselage sheeting using 1/16” balsa.  Using a piece of 1/16 scrap glued to the inside of the fuselage I was able to add a couple of brass eyelets to serve as exits for the leadout wires.  I tested the movement of the bellcrank and the movement seemed fine with no obvious resistance.  However, it was a different story when it came to the forward fuselage and the area around the cockpit.  The curves were either too compound or too tight for the 1/16 sheet that I had, even if I had soaked it. So, I decided to use two separate layers of 1/32” balsa sheet.  It may have taken a bit longer but I’m pleased with the result and it is somewhat stronger.  I received the 1-1/4” Sullivan wheels that I ordered a few days ago as replacements for the old rotted tires that came with the kit but they really seem a bit too small and I believe I’m going to have problems taking off from a grass field.  I do have some 1/1-2” Brodak wheels that will fit but they seem just a hair too large but they will probably be more effective on grass.  After talking with the wife about it, she convinced me to go with the Brodak wheels.

Saturday, March 25, 2017
I resumed work on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  I really poured my efforts into the project today and by 1925 I was essentially complete with all the sheeting and the application of the wood filler.  One thing I learned was that I should have and should have had a damp rag handy as it makes the filler so much easier to work and smooth into curves and crevices in the application.  I’m thinking the sanding may be easier also.  I’ll know when this application had dried and I can begin the sanding process.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »
Hi Fred!  How is everything in the land of Ipanema and Copacabana?? ;D  Thanks for the kind words.  I found the early historical quote that I reposted at the beginning of this thread to be rather informative  :).  I too have been led to believe that the company was eventually morphed into Kyosho but I've not see anything definitive but it would be interesting if it were true.  Yes, without question, the early engineering and choice of materials was a great deal more challenging by today's standards.  But on the other hand, just imagine the quality, patience and skill of the myriad builders, from all nations of that era, who were unquestionably able to take such rough kits and produce finished, flyable and competitive models :o!  In comparison, we must seem like "whinning babies" to those early builders considering all the modern tools, lights, adhesives, carbon fiber, super glues and so forth  :-\.  In some ways, I feel it a bit of an honor just to even try and tackle working with the same materials they had to use but I'm not giving up my Dremel, CA's or Craftsman Band Saw for anyone  LL~ LL~!! 

I completed the replication and return of a KYO B-29 kit one of my friends owns.  I have successfully flown it a couple of times using r/c throttle control and it's quite thrilling to fly as you can imagine.  I've also been loaned a KYO P-38 that will be the next project, hopefully.  Have you given consideration as to when or if you will build your Globemaster?  Would you consider allowing me the honor of replicating your kit so that I might build one? 

Hello JIm! you go fast man!
i never built the Globemaster, the kit belonged to a friend, he just let ir here for a few days (about 10 years ago!) so i could look it deeper, these kind of birds never show up here in brazil. If i had the kit would gladly copy everything and send to you
and i do agree with you, i wondered how much laber intensive was to carft such kits back then, and even more to sucessfully fly them in the 50´s-70´s.
maybe some intrepeneur can replicate on modern laser, vac form canopies and fiberglass cowls those eye catching kits from eureka!
seems you´re close to finish process now. what´s gonna be? sylkspan/primer ?
regards
Fred

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 03:10:24 PM »
 :)  Sunday, March 26, 2017
I sanded the filler that I had applied to the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  By 1930 or so, I had completed the sanding and it looked nice.  I still have to frame out the cockpit and windscreen areas and add filler to a few areas like the leading edge and the bottom of the wings.

Monday, March 27, 2017
I resumed work on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS, I began with framing the cockpit area.  The kit provided a one-piece plastic in the shape of the windscreen and the top of the cockpit.  However, the actual top of the cockpit is not clear, but metal thus my decision to make the wooden cockpit roof.  I’m probably going to have to make some kind of framework for the windscreen because the plastic one in the kit is old, yellowed and brittle.  Making the top was an interesting task because I had to get the basic shape using a few scrap 3/8” balsa blocks and carve them to the basic outline, after gluing them in place.  I used some 1/8” sq. sticks for the frame braces after ensuring the dimensional placement was as close to equal as possible.  Then it was time to begin sanding.  With the sanding of the cockpit area complete, it was time to see how the basic outline of the plane met expectations.  It was at this point that I noticed a significant mistake.  I forgot to build and mount the wing tip floats!  Well, at least I have something more to do!

Tuesday, March 28, 2017
I came into the workshop and pondered the status of the Grumman Albatross.  I decided to make some clamps to hold the motors in place rather than making separate mounting plates and widening the opening in the existing motor mounts.  I used some scrap maple and routed them out just enough to inset the engine mounting lugs then I drilled the 1/8” holes for the 4-40 x 1” bolts and locked them in place using washers and locknuts versus blind nuts.  My next problem turned out to be fitting the spun aluminum cows over the engines.  It doesn’t matter whether I mount the engines upright or inverted, the cowls are too short.  It seems the engines should have been mounted further back, which would have necessitated mounting the fuel tanks inside the nacelles as I originally thought.  The nacelles would have been built enclosing the tanks.  Another problem was fitting the plastic nose to the fuselage.  Apparently, whoever had the kit before had poured expanding foam into the cavity, for some unknown reason, and there was a small crack in the side of the nosepiece.  I was able to carefully dig out and remove the foam and then use a dab of superglue to close the crack. Unfortunately, it didn’t match the outline of the built up fuselage.  There is enough difference to make a grown man want to cry :-[.  I can’t replicate the plastic and make it a bit larger and I can’t cut the fuselage down enough to allow the nosepiece to fit on to the fuselage.  When it comes to these two problems, I’m at a loss for the moment!  Well, by the grace of God, after a brief break to get away from the project, I received an answer to my prayer and was given an idea of just how to mount the nosepiece and it worked.  I was abit nervous about it but I sanded the F-1 frame down to size, fitted the nosepiece, then used thin CA to tack glue it in place once I got a good fit.  It was really a bit touchy because the balsa sheeting for the area had been sanded almost to non-existence for the most part.  I added the medium CA, then thick CA to fill the cracks and finally applied a layer of wood filler.  The fit is right on the money and I can sand it nice and smooth tomorrow.  In the meantime, I finished sanding and prepping the bottom side of the wing and concluded the session by gluing the horizontal stab and elevator assembly.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »
 :)  Thursday, March 30, 2017
I resumed work on the Grumman Albatross sanding and blending the nosepiece to the fuselage.  After that, then painted the cockpit interior with a coat of Testors Black Enamel.  Next, I fitted and glued the rudder in place with about a 5-10 degree right angle offset.  Now to deal with the nacelle cowl issue.  There were two pairs of aluminum cowls in the box and I'm not sure which was the actual one for the kit as one pair was a full 3/4" longer that the other but both sets seemed to be the correct size for the diameter of the nacelles.  The primary difference is that for the current placement of the fuel tanks and motors one set is too short and the other would be too long, if that makes sense in describing the problem.  Basically, I have two choices, not use them or find some way to lengthen them.  After a bit of pondering, again I believe I was given a workable solution; extend the nacelle enough to cover the fuel tanks and still fit the diameter of the spun aluminum cowling.  So, I set about fabricating a framework that was the right length, could be planked or sheeted, then sanded to fit inside the aluminum cowl.  I think these will do the job for the top; now to fabricate the bottoms for the nacelles.

Friday, March 31, 2017
I returned to work on the Grumman Albatross lower nacelle extensions.  I made the frames, glued both the upper and lower frames together then glued them to the nacelles and finally began covering the frames with 1/16” sheeting.  I was able to complete one of the nacelle extensions before quitting for the evening and the fit for the left side was right on the money.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »
 :)  Saturday, April 1, 2017
I focused my attention on completing the nacelle extensions for the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS and by 1830, they were complete and looking good, I think.

Sunday, April 2, 2017
I worked on the Grumman Albatross some more and during this session I added a couple of pieces of 3/8” triangle stock to the underside of the horizontal stabilizer in an effort to give is a bit more support, even though it doesn’t appear to be called for in the plan.  I began the process of fabricating the tip sponsons.  To do this I had to carefully remove the excess plastic from each of the floats then test tit them together to find the best halves to make each sponson float.  Then I sanded about a 45 degree bevel on both sides of the float struts to create a gluing seat for the floats.  Using thick CA, I glued the two sponson halves to the wood strut and made as close of a fit as possible.  I followed up with a dripping of thin CA around the perimeter of each float then sanded each to shape, ensuring there were no cracks.  Next, I sanded the struts to a nice, slightly airfoiled shape.

Now to figure out the proper place to cut into the wing bottom skin for mounting the struts.  All I could do was make an educated guess as to where to cut into the bottom skin.  I found the point where the wing segments were joined and decided that I'd mount the struts to the outboard side of those rib joints.  Once the locations were determined all there was to do was clean up the joints, mount the strut using thick CA and a light soaking of thin CA to add a bit of strength to the old wood and then close the openings on both sides.

Next, on the list was the mounting of the fuselage tail fairing.  To do this I had to do a bit of reshaping and routing to be able to recess the plastic fairing down to the frame so that it would be level with the sheeting.  The fit is nice and level and all that’s needed now is an application of wood filler and a finish sanding.

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
As we Canucks are fond of saying, "That's friggen awesome!!"  H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 07:54:04 AM »
As we Canucks are fond of saying, "That's friggen awesome!!"  H^^
Thanks Glenn!  It's really turning out to be a "labor of love" .... sort'a!!  ;D

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:37 PM »
 :)
Monday, April 3, 2017
I spent a few minutes working on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS but didn’t accomplish very much.  All I did was spread a bit of spackling compound on the tail cone area.  This is a bit of an experiment because I have no idea how durable the spackling is versus the wood putty I normally use.  When that was done, I stopped for the day.

Thursday, April 6, 2017
I started the session by spending a few minutes to complete the re-sheeting of the openings where I mounted the left sponson on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS and then I focused on sanding and shaping the spackling I applied to the tail cone and a few other spots.  I mounted the new 2” Brodak wheels that arrived a couple of days ago.  They look nice with those spoked hubs, just like the photo.  Then I mixed up some Zap Finishing Resin, coated the engine compartment and the motor mounts, and set it aside to cure.  Assuming there are no major issues over the next day or so, it should be ready for a coat of Balsarite then applying the covering and trim.  While I waited for the cure, I spent the time creating a build log on the Stunt Hangar website in the CFC Graphic Forum.  I had to downsize a number of photos before I could post them because the site restricts the size of the pictures.  Later in the afternoon, I remounted the engines then began the process of fitting the aluminum cowls to fit over the engines.  I ended up using the shorter pair of cowls that came with the kit.  I had the left side essentially complete by the time I quit for the evening.

Friday, April 7, 2017
About 1000 when I came into the workshop and powered up for the days doings.  Eventually, I resumed working on the second of the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS cowls.  They say that the second time around is a bit easier and it was just the case with this one.  I was able to mark the cutout positions and between using my scissors and the Dremel grinder, I was able to fit the second cowl onto the nacelle within a couple of hours.  At this point, I’m only using two screws to hold the cowls in place but I think I’ll add a third mounting screw at the top of the cowl to ensure there’s no shifting or rocking of the cowl during the time when the engines are running.  Plus, there’s a bit more final trimming to enhance the evenness, the look and the fit of the cowls over the engines.  I had to place an order for a couple of Tru-Turn Spinner Nuts, a couple of 3 blade 9 x 7 props and a couple of 3 blade 10 x 5 props.  I have some 4 blade 9 x 6 props but they don’t look right especially since I’m going for a semi-scale look.  They should arrive sometime early next week, I hope.

Saturday, April 8, 2017
I’ve been pondering with the idea of making a slider for the lead out lines.  Around 1200 or so, Larry stopped by to check on me and to see the progress of the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  I cut out a blank and while Larry was here, I discussed the idea with him.  He pointed out the idea that the lead out lines, over time may cut into the sponson strut and that I probably should consider putting a brass eyelet through the strut if I use the slider idea.  I can see what he’s talking about and I agree that his idea has merit.  After he left, I went back in the house.

Sunday, April 9, 2017
I came into the workshop around 1200 or so, powered up and began the stuff of the day by adding the third mounting block for the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS cowls followed by taking it outside and applying a coat of Balsarite to the plane and leaving it outside in the backyard to dry. 

Tuesday, April 11, 2017
I received both the 9” and 10” 3-bladed propellers I ordered for the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS few days ago from Brodak's and I can’t wait to try them out.  Eventually I was able to look over the Grumman Albatross and attempt to make a decision as to the placement of the side windows and view ports.  I’m not certain of the actual dimensions but I made and taped some paper spots and they seem to be in the proper positions.  I may try the making the paper outlines a bit darker to see a better contrast.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »
Wednesday, April 12, 2017
I came into the workshop around 0945 or so this morning and set about trying to make the template for the orange cockpit stripe called the "racing stripe".  I did my best to estimate the position and angle of the stripe but I had to stop so I could do a bit more research and print out a couple more of the photos to see if I can get a better line on the striping.  I came across a very interesting site with some history of the US Coast Guard that I didn't know.  Check it out when you can, if you have an interest: http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/StripeHistory.pdf as well as: http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/Traditions.asp.  Their design was a wide red bar to the right of a narrow blue bar, both canted at 64 degrees. After printing the photos, then decided to begin covering the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  Before quitting for the evening, I managed to get the underside of the horizontal stab and the sponson struts covered.  Although the colors seemed to be more orange, I didn't have any on hand and figured I could get away using what I do have, missile red monokote

Thursday, April 13, 2017
I resumed covering on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS and worked until 1900 or so when I decided to stop for the evening.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that the monokote was sticking to the plastic tail cone.  I hope it will do the same on the rest of it.

Saturday, April 15, 2017
It has been a busy day and it was late by the time I was in the workshop.  I powered up and started the session resuming work on covering the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  By 1900, or so, I had made some suitable templates for cutting out the covering for the nacelles.  By the time I quit for the evening, I had nearly completed the covering for the lower nacelles.

Sunday, April 16, 2017
I decided to see if I could get a bit more done on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS before time for church.  I returned home around 1430 or so, changed clothes then came into the workshop resuming work on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  Although the covering process seemed a bit slow, there were no breaks during this session and progress was good.  I guess the slowness came from trying to come up with the best ways to cut and apply the monokote and leave the fewest joints and seams.  Anyway, I like what I see up to this point so I stopped for the evening around 1900 or so.

Monday, April 17, 2017
I came into the workshop and worked steadily until about 1830 when I had completed covering the bottom of the outboard wing.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »
Monday, April 17, 2017
I came into the workshop and began the stuff of the day.  I worked steadily until about 1830 when I had completed covering the bottom of the outboard wing.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017
I came into the workshop and spent a few minutes messing with the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS focusing my efforts on completing the covering of the bottom of the wing and the forward section of the fuselage bottom.  By 1620, those areas were complete.  I wasn’t and still am unsure whether the plastic nose will take the heat needed to get the monokote to shrink and stick.  I tried it very gingerly and was able to make it stick but now I’m concerned about the number of cuts and seams that will be required to complete the nose piece and whether it will look all right.  My friend stopped by and helped me eyeball the window placements for the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  I’m glad he did because his “guestimations” for placement were a bit better than mine.  Anyway, after he left, I took a few minutes to update the log before going in for the evening.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017
I spent a fair amount of time on the computer this afternoon, some of it researching info and photos of the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  I downloaded a few more photos and found a full view of the cockpit area.  It’s a bit saddening because it’s so colorful and detailed but there’s no way I’m cutting the cockpit area off to replicate it now.  Anyway, I spent an hour or so making up a couple more posts for the build log on the Stunt Hangar web site.  By the time I had completed all the surfing, posting and reading on-line it was 1821 and I was a bit mentally tired so I decided to stop for the day.

Thursday, April 20, 2017
I returned my thinking and efforts to the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  After a couple of other interruptions, I resumed covering the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS focusing on the top wing and by the time I took a lunch break, around 1215 or so, I had this portion done.  Probably the most troublesome part of this is trying to minimize the number of seams and overlaps because there’s an observable tone difference when there’s an overlap, especially with the white monokote. Nevertheless, it will just have to be because I would probably be pulling my hair out right about now if I had to paint and prime this one although it would probably be a much nicer finish.  I just never learned how to work with the primers and paints to get that kind of quality finish.  By the end of the day, I had completed the covering of the top wing.  I spent the remainder of the session cutting out and shaping the windows and aft view ports.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 07:13:10 AM »
Friday, April 21, 2017
I started the session by searching for a suitable sized Coast Guard emblem for the fuselage racing stripe and I was able to download an almost perfect sized stripe but I may have to reduce the size of the emblem slightly.  Over the course of the afternoon, I had worked on the covering of the fuselage and by the time I stopped for the day, there was some nice progress.  The majority of the afternoon was spent searching for more details and templates for the model and then manipulating the artwork to a suitable size for the scale look. 

Saturday, April 22, 2017
After our normal Saturday morning flying session, three of the guys stopped by.  After looking over the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS, they felt that I probably should have used orange monokote rather than the Missile Red.  They were right, so I s’pose I’ll go ahead and order a roll so I can redo the covering.

Sunday, April 23, 2017
I looked on my rack and found that I had some orange monokote trim sheets.  Guess what?  I should have used that color!  I thought about just applying it directly over the red but there would be too many seams to make it look worthwhile, so I guess I’ll wait for the roll of orange that I ordered yesterday.  What a pathetic mistake I’ve made!  Oh well, so be it, I decided to set the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS aside for a while and move on to something else.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017
I started the morning in the workshop around 0830 or so. Eventually, I resumed work on the covering for the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS specifically dealing with the white monokote.  I cut out the windows on the inboard side then cleaned up the covering as needed.  I came across a very interesting site with some history of the US Coast Guard that I didn't know: http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/StripeHistory.pdf as well as: http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/Traditions.asp.  Their design was a wide red bar to the right of a narrow blue bar, both canted at 64 degrees.  Looks like I don’t need to and probably shouldn’t change the monokote to orange but I’ll certainly need to print out the document should I ever enter a scale contest!  Anyway, I resumed the covering process and completed the fuselage.  Then I used clear monokote to simulate the fuselage windows and portholes.

Now for the part that scares me, should I continue with covering the nose or should I paint it?  There’s a part of me leaning towards applying a coat of paint and be done with it.  For the heck of it, I trimmed back the white covering from the nose cap, gave it a light sanding to etch the surface and remove any finger grease then sprayed a very light coat of Krylon grey primer on the nose cap.  I didn’t have enough to give a good coat but there was just enough to cover about 90% very lightly.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017
I started the day by spraying another light coat of the white Krylon primer/paint onto the nose cap of the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS and the sponsons.  I left it outside to dry for a couple of hours even though the instructions said it could be recoated after 10 minutes.

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 08:13:56 PM »
If that's not flat out cool, I don't know what is!  Love this thread. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
If that's not flat out cool, I don't know what is!  Love this thread. H^^
:)  Thanks Glenn!  I appreciate your kind words.   :)

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 02:47:24 PM »
 :)  Friday, April 28, 2017
I started the session by giving the nose cap/fuselage joint a light sanding to see if I could get rid of at least some of the peel effect from the dope.  I used some worn out 250 grit and was able to remove a small amount of it.  I decided to apply a light coat of 3M Patch Plus Primer Spackling.  It went on well and I left it to dry.  Next, I figured it was time to apply the front windscreens.  So after a good shaking to clear out any stray particulate in the fuselage I made a template for cutting a slightly oversized piece of clear monokote for the windscreens.  I used a Hangar 9 ProTrim Sealing Tool to secure the edges around the outline of the windscreen and posts and when it was done it was just a matter of shrinking the individual frames.  I like what I see and I can hardly see the overlap line.  At this point, I’m grinning, big time!

Monday, May 1, 2017
I posted an online update for the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS build log.

Thursday, May 4, 2017
I resumed work on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS and during this session, I mounted the engines with fuel line, cowls, and smoothed the spackling I had applied to the nose cap/fuselage joint.  I realized I still needed to fabricate the nose cap.  To do this I used a couple of 1/2” pieces of scrap balsa glued to make a 1” block from which I cut, sanded and shaped the radome.  It wasn’t very difficult but it was rather time consuming to ensure it was symmetrically domed shaped and hollowed out deep enough to mate with the outline of the tip of the nose cap.  When I was satisfied with the shape and fit to the nose cap, I used some thick CA to attach it to the nose cap and once it had set, I applied a bead of thick CA around the joint to reinforce it.  I used some Testors black paint to cover the radome.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 09:27:43 AM »
Friday, May 5, 2017
I decided to apply the black trim monokote to the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS. I called it quits around 1851 and went in for the evening.

Saturday, May 6, 2017
The wife and I headed out to go to the US Coast Guard Station at the Cape to get some information about the colors of the racing stripe.  It was a nice trip and visit to the facility and quite a pleasure speaking to some of the young men stationed there.  We took a few photos then when I got home, I came into the workshop and began adding the black monokote to the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  I messed up on one of the nacelles because I made the black trim stripe too broad and then made a mess of trying to remove it.  To avoid getting too frustrated, I quit around 1930 or so and went in for the evening.

Sunday, May 7, 2017
I managed to spend quite a bit of time trying to clean up the mess I made on one side of the nacelle and then, as a brain relief, spent a few minutes applying a strip of black trim to the outboard horizontal stabilizer before getting ready for church.  When I returned home, I changed clothes then returned to the workshop and resumed the covering process.  Around 1800 or so, I had completed the black monokote trim for the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  I had to really work to remove the black monokote that I had misapplied on the inboard nacelle but thankfully it worked out and it’s really hard to see where the mistake was made now.  I cleaned up all of the joints and seams using some monokote trim solvent and it didn’t look too bad.  It’s a shame I can still tell where the seams are but the only way to never have them is to do a complete paint job and that’s not going to happen, at least not any time in the immediate future.

Monday, May 8, 2017
I came into the workshop and resumed the trim work on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS.  By 1215 or so, the basic trim work was complete and looking pretty good.  The biggest problem I encountered during this session involved applying the trim around the windscreens.  I had to remove the windscreen I had applied earlier because the black edging had gaps and I had small areas where the white trim was showing :(.  Once this was corrected, it became a rather simple matter to repaint the edges as needed then complete the covering and set up for a reapplication of clear monokote to make the windscreen.  I wish I could feel sure that I could get some matching white paint to cover and stick to the aluminum cowls  :-\

To start this portion of the log, I must open and admit that the moderator of this forum, Charles, made me an incredible offer, that being to provide the graphics for this model  :). I was and am truly thankful and appreciative for his offer; it is beyond anything I could have ever expected :).  I am truly humbled and thankful for his most gracious offer  H^^ but I wanted to try my hand at it.  So moving forward, I spent a fair amount of time cutting out the paper graphics for the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS and taping them in place to get an idea of the sizes and placements for each of the graphics and then reprinting as needed. By 1930 or so, I believe I had graphics that look just about right  ???  :).

Sunday, May 14, 2017
I took a few minutes to update the log then set my attention towards applying come clear monokote over the graphics on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS  :).  I had to print out an additional Coast Guard emblem and some additional graphics to replace the ones I had taped to the model as visual reference.  This was a bit slow and tedious  :-\ but so far, it looks like it was worth the effort :).  I worked steadily until about 1930 when all of the graphics and trim work was completed on the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS  :D.  The only thing left to be done in the workshop is the completion of the lead out connectors and it will be ready for initial engine run-ups.  I took a few minutes to update the logs before shutting down for the evening  ;D.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017
I added the connectors to the lead-outs for the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS thus completing the build.  It is now ready to fly, I hope.  I took a few minutes to weigh and check the CG of the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS and the CG is about 2-1/2” aft of the leading edge and it weighs 4.3 pounds  ;D.  Now to select a date and time for engine run-ups and flight testing   ??? %^@.    Stay tuned ;D ;D !!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2017, 04:58:05 PM »
I took the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS for it’s first flight today.  I set about to get an engine run on the OS 25 r/c's before flight and both engines ran nicely but unfortunately, I got careless and got two of my fingers cut up by carelessly putting them in the prop arc.  Thankfully, it wasn’t too bad but I did get each finger sliced a number of times.  The guys shut the engines down and after getting "patched up" we set the lines out and re-started the engines.  I headed out to the handle.  I have to admit, I was a bit nervous but honestly, after a few feet for the roll out, it was in the air and flew surprisingly well with no bad characteristics.  After a few minutes, the outboard engine died and it flew another 5 or 6 laps on the inboard engine.  I set it down alright but apparently the outboard wheel had come off in flight.  Thankfully there was no damage to the plane and one of the guys found the wheel so it will be an easy repair.  I returned home, put the GRUMMAN ALBATROSS in the workshop then posted the video on YouTube:

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 03:04:47 AM »
Jim,

Yes, you get patched up and stay at the field. My kind of modeler.  LL~

I review this Thread from time to time. You inspired me. Now I think about my Grumman Widgeon project that's been on my mind for over 30 years.

Never got it started in R/C but I probably will now that I'm active in CL.

Hey! Next model I'll do your graphics, no charge. And don't forget!

Nice to see the model fly.

Great Thread.

Charles

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »
 :)  Thanks Charles, I appreciate the kind words.  Just so you know, I talked 6 of our 9 local guys into building the Brodak Bearcat kits (CLB-30) so we could have our own Blue Angels Squadron.  As I write this, mine and I believe 3 or 4 others are under way with the rest beginning sometime after the first of the year.  From what I could dig up, the fullsize Bearcat insignia were some shade of yellow rather than white and they were numbered 1 thru 5.  I've contacted Brodak about printing a set of their insignia in yellow rather than white but haven't heard anything as yet ..... maybe after the New Year I'll hear something but either way, there's no rush.  However, if they cannot do it, maybe you would consider taking on the project, huh  ????  Our flight line should look incredible with that many Bearcat "Blue Angels" parked and ready for action  %^@!  Whad'da ya think  ??? ;D

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
I have the Blue Angles graphics, done them many times for different size models.

Where's your Bearcat build?

Charles

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »
  :-[ :-X :-\  I haven't done one!!  :-[ :-X :-\  I didn't think anyone would be interested!  :-[ :-X :-\

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »
Jim,

I think you'd be surprised. I had a bearcat kit but sold it. I was interested but had other things going.

Hey! There's no interest in my builds but I still do them.  LL~

Charles

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »
Understood!!  I'll consider it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here