News:

• April 16, 2024, 05:23:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airbrushing on the Mig-3  (Read 22811 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Airbrushing on the Mig-3
« on: June 25, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
Progressing a bit slower than I expected on the Mig-3, but I did manage to get some color and detail on the nose.

I should do the white rudder next, not sure though? The bottom paint will be yellow.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:34:00 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
Re: Airbrushing on the Mig-3
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:10:26 PM »
That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   H^^ H^^
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:57:30 AM »
How on earth did you hold that tiny riveting gun?! %^@  Can't waite to see the rest.  If you can.....do some of those great how-to videos you do....on the painting.  I suck at painting! HB~>
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »
That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   H^^ H^^

Carl,

Thanks for that, a nice boost. It's appreciated.

How on earth did you hold that tiny riveting gun?!   Can't waite to see the rest.  If you can.....do some of those great how-to videos you do....on the painting.  I suck at painting!

Glenn,

It takes two guys to rivet correctly.  LL~

Hey! Those "How to" videos are done by Robert/Sparky. You have me mixed up with Robert. I know of no one else that has produced a video for painting.

I cannot do videos. Thank goodness.

Hey! Hey! Thanks for the reply.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:33:45 AM »
Finally caught up with my work/living, at least for now.

Found time to hit the Mig's rudder with a bit of artist's water base Liquitex.

I'm experimenting with water base paint and the Mig is perfect for experimentation. Actually, it's the only model I have for this trial n error stuff. I value the Stuka and these tests are for the benefit of the finish on the Stuka, and others.

I had to change the tip and needle to a wide a-s-s and pumped up the pressure for immediate coverage, the mix was a tad thick for airbrush. I'm otta time on this prolonged model.

Tape holding the pushrod away from the fuselage so I can zero in. A split Starbuck's straw around the CF pushrod. Tom Morris' Ball link can be cleaned up later.

If you look carefully at the rudder bottom, you can see vinyl rivets that I put in place individually by hand. One at a time.

I'm kidding!

I made these vinyl .07 rivets in a strip and laid a row down at a time. Or what was needed. Yea, one or two by hand, but not the entire row. Just as I did with the fuselage forward area.

Treated the rudder a bit differently, actually sans rivets. Look close.

Can't leave that area just white. I have absolutely no idea as of yet how I will treat the highlights where I placed these vinyl templates? Spray by airbrush or possibly a wash rub n buff?

That will be next.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:36:24 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
Should have placed these "before" photos.

This is cut vinyl before the white paint.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:38:08 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »
Charles, despite some minor things in the past, I must tell you you have a touch for applying a scale like finish. I admit that I may have been too quick for judgement in the past. I'd like to try again, to be a friend. Are you willing?

john Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:08:01 PM »
Charles, despite some minor things in the past, I must tell you you have a touch for applying a scale like finish. I admit that I may have been too quick for judgement in the past. I'd like to try again, to be a friend. Are you willing?

John Miller

John,

We have always been friends and brother modelers.  #^

Besides, I have no memory.  n~

I cannot think of one person who I am not friends with?

Now you must participate in all my Threads. Well, except the ones that have been locked.  LL~ LL~

John, what's your latest project?

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
I'm starting the process to correct some alignments on the latest plane I've built since my accident 3 years ago. I'm also preparing to design a new twin engined design. There is a particular 3 engine full scale racing design I'd like to take a stab at.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »
I'm starting the process to correct some alignments on the latest plane I've built since my accident 3 years ago. I'm also preparing to design a new twin engined design. There is a particular 3 engine full scale racing design I'd like to take a stab at.

John,

Didn't know that John, I do hope you're feeling better.

OK, no reason you can't Post a photo of your latest design. Plus a CAD drawing, of your "new" twin engine design. You must have that?

Now I can think of a few three engine aircraft, but nothing comes to mind that was raced?

This isn't one of those, My Cousin Vinny, trick questions is it?

There was this guy that had a three engine double boom job, two pusher one pull, or maybe two pull and one push, but he was EAA. I'm not sure he ever built it? Can't remember.

Photos? Info?

Post in this Thread, your designs will be safe, no one will see it.  LL~ LL~

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 09:07:13 PM »
. . . This isn't one of those, My Cousin Vinny, trick questions is it? . . .
=====================================================
"Win some, lose some."
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »
I decided on the wash rub n buff.

I hate cleaning airbrushes and the little glass jars because you really have to get them spotless or you can have issues next time they are used.

Ooooooooo My Gosh! I went and ruined that nice white paint.  HB~>
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:43:01 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »
Progress.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:44:20 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Progress.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:45:07 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 08:32:17 AM »
48 or there about hours since I reignited this Thread. 269 hits and 13 replies.  ???

Here's my last effort. Obviously, I wasn't that thrilled with any of my efforts before this last "fix."

Here's the thing. It's only paint. Scratch it up, paint it white and start over for better or different results if needed.

I was tempted to do just that. I still may dust on a bit of white over the framework.

Remember, this framework that the rudder is made of is covered with fabric. That's the look I'm trying to get, with a tad of weathering.

I'm not sure I've accomplished this?

Also, I'm thinking of dialing down on the black edge on the trim tab? The rudder edge also.

The black may be a bit much? Tough call.

One thing I'm realizing, is the rivet holes on fabric covered surfaces, are probably not needed.

Eliminating them will save time and work making these vinyl templates.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:48:14 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 09:40:49 AM »

I hate cleaning airbrushes and the little glass jars because you really have to get them spotless or you can have issues next time they are used.

Ooooooooo My Gosh! I went and ruined that nice white paint.  HB~>

Me too.  The solution is to spend a few bucks and dedicate a bottle to each color.

I disassemble the sprayer and clear the parts in thinner, then use the spent thinner to thin the same color.  No waste. All the paint needs to be thinner anyway.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:26:56 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »
One thing I'm realizing, is the rivet holes on fabric covered surfaces, are probably not needed.

Not needed and not original. Fabric covered flight controls are stitched to the flight control then covered with finishing tape.

Here's good example of how they look when done:
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 12:35:32 PM »
Not to detract from the awesome work you're doing, Charles. I've already picked up so many tips from reading your posts!
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 01:31:59 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for the reply. You should comment more often. I need the help.

Are you storing dope in tiny airbrush jars?

Not to detract from the awesome work you're doing, Charles. I've already picked up so many tips from reading your posts!

Bill, thanks for the reply.

You should comment more often, this is all trial and mostly error for me, I could use good solid advice.

Yes, I'm farmiliar with that.

I have no idea how Warbirds, the Mig-3 actually, are covered or if they are done the same way?

I did, or I should say, I was influinced by this plastic kit photo.

Plastic kit, go figure.

I should know better.

I couldn't find a close up photo, so I ran with that plastic look with some regrets.

I will try to do better on the remaining covered surfaces. Means I have to fill some rivet holes.

The learning process.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:53:50 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 05:09:48 PM »
"I don't know anything about Scale Models but I know what I like".
i can only admire (and be jealous of  ;D) your "dedication" and creativity.
Your MiG (a favorite Russki of mine) looks great so far and will no doubt end up a beauty - can't wait to see the finished product.

Terry
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
I buy quarts of color dope from Randolph for about $33 per quart.   Then I pour about 4-6 ounces into a GLASS food jar.  In that jar I thin it to where it seems sprayable, then pour some (about an ounce) into the little glass spray bottle.

I have bought some glass shot glasses and other small glasses and some salad cruets from garage sales.  These are used for cleaning.

The salad cruets are used for thinner.  Who can handle a gallon can?

During a project I just leave the color paint in the 3 ounce Paashe bottle.  When the project is done, I dump the paint back into the larger glass jar and rinse the Paashe bottle with the spent thinner going back with it's own color.  I still keep the 3 ounce bottle dedicated to its own color.

Paint and thinner are expensive.  Bottles are relatively cheap.  You can run a ZERO WASTE operation if you try.

Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 01:55:31 AM »
I can't believe I had to walk my wife's dog, Indy, at 3:15 this morning. Unbelievable.

Took another look at the Mig-3's rudder and I'm not sure I can live with these results?

I have to think about how I will address this rudder issue, maybe some improvement could be gained?

I can still go forward and apply some yellow to the underside of the Mig-3. I hate masking.

Yes, I have plenty of vinyl rivet detail to apply to the underside also.

Added:

See if I can have yellow paint on the Mig-3 by the end of the day.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:26:49 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
"All dressed up and no place to go."

Almost a line from the movie, Lethal Weapon.  ;D

The importance of masking cannot be stressed. Stressed, hummmm, bad choice of a word.  n1

How about, "The importance of masking should be emphasized." A bit more relaxing.  Z@@ZZZ

There are techniques to correct masking. Yes, I'm paying absolutely no attention to any of them here.

It's just the Mig-3.  n~

Only interesting thing here, "Maybe not," a line from the movie,Transporter, is the roll back on the fuselage tape. I didn't want a tape line even though that area will be sanded to the next piece of tape which will  cover the yellow for spraying the fuselage top.

With this roll back, I will not have much sanding to do at all and the shade of green will easily cover the yellow.

Ready for paint, but now I have to decide if I will apply the vinyl rivets now or after the yellow paint is applied?

Difficult decisions, conflicts, I don't do well with them.  HB~>

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:51:35 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »
Ooooooooooo My Gosh!

There be some yellow here.   #^

Still wet I took the shot. Any shine you see will be gone, this is flat paint.

The finish clear coat will be flat/matt also.

Just because the yellow is there doesn't mean that yellow area is done. Far from it.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:41:33 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »
Any more?
Awesome...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 02:56:16 PM »
Any more?
Awesome...Marcus

The "Mark" of excellence!

I told you I would find a scheme with yellow in it. See the impression you leave on your fellow modelers.  H^^

I took these photos just for you Marcus. No one else cares.  LL~ LL~ LL~ Yes, I'm kidding, one other guy.

Notice there's no paint bridging the control surface gaps.   #^  

Believe it or not, I'm cutting .07 rivets!  ;D

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:43:41 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
     Hello Charles:

As always, great building!

Be well my friend,

Frank McCune

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »
     Hello Charles:

As always, great building!

Be well my friend,

Frank McCune

Frank,

What a guy! Thanks for taking a peek, I hope you looked at all the photos because I'm trying to get my photo hits up.  ;D  LL~

My photo hits are embarrassing low, so are my replies for that matter.  n~

Anyway, we get rain, buckets of it, every day it seems, so I added a bit of "rita" to the yellow paint I mixed so I wouldn't have any difficulty with it drying too quickly.

Well, I tried to knock it down a bit yesterday and today, impatient I am, but the paint hasn't fully dried. Dried to the touch but it cannot be sanded yet.

I have other tasks I can do.

Thanks for the boost!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 06:49:56 AM »
Had to repaint the wheel well covers to the new color mix. First color was a bit too yellow.

Also, playing around with applying paint to vinyl before it's applied. See how that works.?

This is aileron framework vinyl, actually fabric covered on the full size aircraft. Drew this in my not CAD drawing program. Weeded before paint was applied. Scratched up before cutting also, with 600.

This is not really authentic, but adds a bit of cuteness because of the raised layer. Should be obvious when completed.

For a high end scale project, I would make the ailerons built up and covered. I could see that happening with another model somewhere over the horizon.

This is the final coat of paint for the yellow, so there's no need in doing a tape pull test.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:44:45 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »
Applied that painted aileron vinyl to the underside of the flaps. Top side will be of a different color.

Wheel well covers with vinyl rivets and a quick dash of paint, just enough to give the rivets color.

Progress.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:46:35 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 02:36:43 PM »
Using vinyl as a medium to show surface detail on models seems to be working well to some degree for the results I'm getting for my efforts.

You do need a cutter that will cut .07" diam. rivets. I tried to cut smaller rivets but it looks like .07" is the number.

There are other modelers with vinyl cutters, be interesting to see if they can cut a smaller rivet.

I'm going to try something.

That top photo of the aileron framework was painted "after" it was cut and weeded.

I plan on testing a section of vinyl. I will paint it "before" I cut the material with that yellow paint I'm using. See if the blade cuts the paint cleanly as it cuts the vinyl.

I'm going to try to get this test done tomorrow. The humidity is high right now.

Rain and thunderstorms. Ouch!

Edited:

I couldn't wait, I had to do it!   ;D

Water base paint anyway so it'll take a bit of time to dry.

Yellow vinyl hit with 600. Sprayed the yellow I'm using and I even sprayed an area not sanded just to see if the paint would bite.

Yes, I applied the paint heavy and wet.

See what happens with the cutting. I'm excited!  #^

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:57:44 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 08:19:23 AM »

Bill,

Well thank you Bill, I appreciate that.  H^^

It's nice to read favorable comments.

I always try to share my efforts and the work I do with my fellow modelers.

Sorry I was late in responding to your reply, I sometimes miss some of them but not responding isn't deliberate.

I think you may have Posted in another Thread of mine, your name is farmiliar. Sorry if I missed that reply also.

So, are you using an airbrush for something related to modeling?

I'd be interested in seeing what you're up to.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 11:30:27 AM »
Oooooooooooooo My Gosh! It worked!!  #^

The painted vinyl cut easily as you can see from the photo. Some clear transfer paper and I can apply these pieces. Drawn in CAD BTW, but not really.

I'm so jazzed up and excited about the progress I've made on this Mig-3.  #^

I can't wait to get busy with the Stuka Tank Buster which will be next. Might put that in KCM. Klingon Cloaking Mode. That would save me a great deal of time.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Just a bit more surface detail on the wing bottoms and I'm good to go with the last application of yellow water base paint.

This will be for the newly applied vinyl detail on the underside of the wings and fuselage. See photos.

Enhanced photos makes the thin layer of vinyl easily seen, so the color is incorrect. I did paint this vinyl before I did the cutting.

After the yellow I will add vinyl detail to the wing top and fuselage sides. Some CAD work is needed for laying out the vinyl. There will be plenty of rivets on the top side. Top side is a shade of green. ;D

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:50:17 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »
Since I brought this Thread back to life, a week ago, it's had 184 hits, or, that's how many times someone has taken a look at my work, or maybe just one person 184 times?  LL~ Anyway, I have no new replies.  ???

First time I ever did the actual math on any of my Threads. You don't have to do any math on the Mig-3 build over at CFC Graphic's Vendor's Corner. It's in plane sight, no pun intended. 222,681 hits.

Hard to believe for a Thread that has been running almost three years. That's 45,000 hits a year and change.

I think maybe I received 8 replies over there?  ;D

Yes, I'm kidding. A few more than 8, but not really a great deal compaired to the number of total hits.

In all honesty, I don't put my work in full view to show it off. That's not what I'm about.

If that was the case, over the many years I've been modeling, I could have easily done magazine articles, sent in photos of models and found "thunder" in many other ways to get attention.

Some have said, in the normal hate replies I get, "Who is this guy?"  LL~

So clearly, recognition isn't at the top of my list.

What is at the top of my list is Posting my work with hopes of having communications with other modelers who's interest is somewhat the same. I enjoy building and building has always been what modeling has meant to me. Designing and scratch building also. I have a difficult time building right out of the box.

So, if you have a project don't hesitate, bring it to the attention of those that are viewing. All three of us.  LL~

One thing I never cared about was my Threads going off topic. I actually invite it! So, let's share projects and ideas.

I took a photo of my monitor, the actual CAD drawing, full size, I used to generate the art needed to cut all these pieces for the underside of the wing. Thought it might be of some interest. It's set for "fill" that's why there's colored areas, otherwise there would be just lines.

Only piece left is some leading edge detail, two pieces. They are rough in the drawing for size, but not completed. I'll actually make a template of this piece and scan it in.

Edited to change the "Hit" number.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:25:03 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
Alright, I'll reply instead of just lurking for the eye candy.  My execution of "scale" is standoff... WAY off.  Color field and major markings.

I LOVE the yellow/yellow of the access panels.  It reminds me of visiting my brother at the airport when he worked there and nobody cared about having security clearances for anybody and everybody.  Up close the access panels on small planes tend to stick out visually even though they are flush.  I think it is the roundness of the edges meeting.  Step back a few feet and they are just part of the surface.

I'm not sure about the colored rivets.  I would guess you are not even close to done.

Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 08:13:42 PM »
Alright, I'll reply instead of just lurking for the eye candy.  My execution of "scale" is standoff... WAY off.  Color field and major markings.

I LOVE the yellow/yellow of the access panels.  It reminds me of visiting my brother at the airport when he worked there and nobody cared about having security clearances for anybody and everybody.  Up close the access panels on small planes tend to stick out visually even though they are flush.  I think it is the roundness of the edges meeting.  Step back a few feet and they are just part of the surface.

I'm not sure about the colored rivets.  I would guess you are not even close to done.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated. Really appreciated!

Are you working on anything?

I'm a stand off guy also. Quite a bit, but not really way way off. Depends on the model. Nice to have scale outlines.

That yellow yellow will become just yellow when I apply the last coat of paint. Rivets also. Possibly over the weekend. I'm doing my best to copy a Mig-3 scheme.

Here's the scheme.

Phil, thanks again for the reply.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:59:23 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »
Headway again, did the wheel wells just a short time ago. You can see the double outline.

Wing leading edges are next. Then I'm done with vinyl. Well, on the bottom anyway.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:52:23 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2015, 07:18:49 PM »
I just got materials together for a "Honker" biplane

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5801In

Slab wing under cambered airfoil for 4 channel.

And plan to put a 400 electric in it with an 8 inch prop.  Hopefully fun.  Flight stabilization is in my future since I break RC too easily.

Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2015, 07:59:57 PM »
I just got materials together for a "Honker" biplane

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5801In

Slab wing under cambered airfoil for 4 channel.

And plan to put a 400 electric in it with an 8 inch prop.  Hopefully fun.  Flight stabilization is in my future since I break RC too easily.

Phil

Phil,

Check your link, unless it's my old PC?

I wasn't sure when I read Honker, never really herd of it?

Is this the model what you are working on?

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2015, 04:53:37 AM »
 Yes, I plan to start on that in a week or two.  With electric I am hoping for a nice docile rc plane.  With a gyro flight stabilizer I hope to not break it the first time I fly it.

I have a large box of wood waiting for me in the basement.

I still need to put electric on the nose of the flite streak I broke.  I keep getting bogged down with the little things and put it back on the shelf.

Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 06:22:39 AM »
Phil,

Careful Phil, you might bring back my interest with R/C. I had a few biplanes during my tenure but nothing that even resembles that Honker Bipe.

When was that Honker Bipe first designed?

You have materials, do you have the plans?

I have a feeling you had one years ago or knew another modeler that had one, Correct?

Will there be a build?

CB

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2015, 03:43:33 PM »
Well, I might have bad news and bad news. And more bad news.

The bad news is, I think I should have used all yellow rivets for surface detailing.

The bad news is, it may take a bit more paint to cover these orange rivets.

I did a test.

The bad news is, it does take a bit more paint to cover these orange rivets.

Soooooooo, I'm thinking of removing all these orange rivets and replacing them with yellow rivets.

That bad news is, it's a considerable amount of work.

You can see what would have to be removed and replaced. Replaced by cutting them again. That's both wing halfs.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:53:18 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 06:42:16 AM »
Well,

Dedication at it's finest, or am I nuts?

I'm going to remove each and every orange rivet.

#11 blade and one at a time. There is no other way.

I'll recut yellow rivets and re-apply them the samy way I applied the orange ones.

Bummer.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
I built 3 flite streaks recently, you did reply in several of the threads.  I had some problems.  The third needs covered, still.  One I have flown a couple times now, and the last I broke the engine bearers on the test stand.

My local club is a RC club.  As for CL they are amused by it, and some of the older members are glad to see younger people flying cl.  I just don't get over often enough.  They are also setting up for quadcopter racing...they are more computer than anything.

Sorry to hear about having to pick dots...

Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 11:42:59 AM »
Phil,

How can you brake engine bearers on a test stand?

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2015, 03:25:58 PM »
Phil,

How can you brake engine bearers on a test stand?

By using crap maple for bearers.  I know now to raise hopped up heck with a vendor who sells me figured maple engine bearers.  However this problem will be on my shoulders only in future builds since I have a 10 ft board of sugar maple in the garage.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »
By using crap maple for bearers.  I know now to raise hopped up heck with a vendor who sells me figured maple engine bearers.  However this problem will be on my shoulders only in future builds since I have a 10 ft board of sugar maple in the garage.

Phil,

That piece of wood could be used for a vintage sports car's dash. Many of them had maple.

I just call Tom Morris or Stunt Hanger Hobby.

They carry all the quality products that many modelers use in their high end airplanes.

They work just as well in low end airplanes also.  LL~

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2015, 06:49:23 PM »
Well,

Dedication at it's finest, or am I nuts?

I'm going to remove each and every orange rivet.

#11 blade and one at a time. There is no other way.

I'll recut yellow rivets and re-apply them the samy way I applied the orange ones.

Bummer.

I can't believe the time invested in removing all these orange rivets. Mistakes, go figure.

Replaced the orange with yellow and I do feel a bit better.

Before and after, looks better also.

I'll detail those wheel wells eventually, cannot leave them yellow.

Edited to add photo.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:55:16 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2015, 09:01:25 AM »
This mornings efforts.

I painted a section of vinyl. The LE pieces will be made from this. I don't think there's anything else that needs to be made, unless I forgot something. Yes, the landing light frame. I have to think about that one.

Can't cut this painted area until the end of the day, if not tomorrow.

I removed all the belly rivets that were orange and replaced them with yellow rivets.

Before and after. Makes a difference.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:57:01 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »
I’m guessing those viewing are interested in scale modeling? A guess.

I was impatient today, probably from investing all that time in removing the orange rivets. Soooooo, I took my heat gun to that painted area on the vinyl to speed things up. Instant dry!

I drew the LE pieces and landing light access panel, then to the cutter I went.

I know this vinyl medium thing is worth the experimentation and effort, eventually the results will pay off on some model, especially a scale model or a fun scale model. You really don’t need an imagination or special abilities to make good use of this stuff.

It's light, can be color painted, .003-.004 thick with a coat of paint, sticks and can be top coated.

Experimenting with it is worth while, for me anyway. "Never give up never surrender."

So, I’m setting up some graphics for a modeler, one who does scale and one who's work I admire greatly, no, he doesn’t know it, his work is top shelf to say the least.

While reading an e-mail from him, he had one sentence I haven’t been able to get out of my mind, even while working on this vinyl stuff most of the day.

“I must admit, that every paint job that I do is another experiment.”

Few words can say so much. I know I’m not alone with trying different things and experimenting. There's at least one other modeler!

Unfortunately, I still have plenty of orange rivets to remove.

Some photos of my current progress.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:59:43 PM by Avaiojet »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here