News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Mig-3, Reconnaissance Aircraft and Warbird!"  (Read 254192 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
"Mig-3, Reconnaissance Aircraft and Warbird!"
« on: October 30, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »
As I mentioned in my last Thread on The Loser, I did delete the original "The Loser" Thread.

I apologize to those four individuals who replied, but with 27 posts and most of them about everything but what The Loser has become, best to save the bandwidth.

Starting over is a good thing, no confusion about some other design that's related but not related.

Here's The Loser.

New wing, new tail feathers, rudder and a new fuselage to boot.

Tad longer tail moment with this new wing, great for working flaps!

I'll just fast forward to the recent work I've accomplished yesterday and today.

Fuselage airfoil changed for the new wing, made from Sig Twister ribs which were cut down and sanded for the taper.

I reassembled the wing halves for a test fit some days ago. Here they are today being permanently joined. I have no wing jig so I used the granite countertop. Yes, the wife was out for a bit, just long enough for me to accomplish this task.

Two carpenter's levels are being used as a straight edge, plus auto body dollies for weight does the trick nicely.

The wing, straight as an arrow.  n~

I'll add a few photos to review what relates to The Loser from the other Thread.

Charles
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:51:45 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
Re: "The Loser" revisited!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 03:29:32 AM »
Hi Charles

You know, it does look nicer...
So, is it going to be the "red-headed" loser?
I'm assuming the fuel tank is gonna fit in between the motor mounts?
That is a good thing.
Wonder about the finishing.
Paint or 'kote?

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:15:30 AM »
Hi CharlesYou know, it does look nicer...So, is it going to be the "red-headed" loser?I'm assuming the fuel tank is gonna fit in between the motor mounts?That is a good thing.Wonder about the finishingPaint or 'kote?
Marcus

Marcus,

Thanks for the reply.

What is the "red headed" loser? I've never meet any of the guys on SH.  ;D  LL~

I'll say, yes, the motor mount opening is a bit long. I lengthened the nose moment with this design. Remember that other fuselage? I have a .75" prop extension and once the engine is mounted, I can then close up the unneeded opening or make it a weight box? I don't know what engine to use yet, I gotta weigh stuff. I shouldn't be, but, I'm honest about what things weigh.  n~

I still have plenty of building, I'm now considering working flaps. That means more weight. Trade off for performance?

I'll paint this model but have a local auto body shop apply the clear. I'm excited! This will be the first CL model which I've painted in almost 50 years. I'm trying to think of something creative and different. That won't be easy.

I will try to continue with it until it's completed, and try not to move onto another model. That won't be easy for me, I'm already loosing a tad interest in The Loser.

I think it's a nice looking model and great design.

Be nice if others had more interest in it.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:59 AM »
I said red-headed 'cause you mentioned you might use a mackoy "red-head" to power it.
Anyway, 'm looking forward to seeing the model finished.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »
I said red-headed 'cause you mentioned you might use a mackoy "red-head" to power it.
Anyway, 'm looking forward to seeing the model finished.Marcus

Marcus,

No, I won't use the McCoy. I may sell it, I need the money.

I'll get back with a few photos from last nights work.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 05:15:57 AM »
Flap time!

I know, they should be built up and sheeted, this could save some weight, but I elected to use 1/4" stock. I had a sheet left over from the New American.

"V" cut at the hinge side of the flaps using my 45 degree angle. Simply propped up and just sliding the flap along a piece of sandpaper. Takes a bit of time but this can be accurate, just have to keep looking and pay a bit of attention. Ink line helps. I'll do something to lighten these flaps a bit more?

Charles

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
Try using sandpaper stuck inside a strip 'L' shaped aluminum - you can sand both sides of the flap edge at the same time and always get a perfect 90º angle (45º either side of the flap).

Also if you do it this way there really is no need for the angled protractor either.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
Nice tip Chris.
Gonna put it to work as a matter of fact right now.

Charles, any idea on the finishing? Colors, etc...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »
Nice tip Chris.
Gonna put it to work as a matter of fact right now.

Charles, any idea on the finishing? Colors, etc...

Marcus

Marcus, ideally the sanding board should be longer than the item sanded in order to achieve an even result, and to get a clean sharp included angle of 90º use two long separate strips of sandpaper with a miniscule gap between them instead of one folded piece - the aim here is NOT to have any radius on the inside of the bend.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to see you in here!

Your way looks like I would have to know how to multi-task? I have enough trouble with one side, never mind two.  n~

Still, could be a time saver. How would one keep the piece straight in the middle without a guide? Does that method work with bent pieces? Most of my wood is bent. I can see one advantage as, when it bottoms out, it's done!

I actually don't take the edge to a actual point. I leave a tad flat.

BTW. Did you see that engine like yours sell for almost twice the loot?

Thanks again for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
Charles, any idea on the finishing? Colors, etc...Marcus

Marcus,

Never gave it a single thought. Been to busy cutting up fuselages and ruining old wings.  ;D

You got any ideas? Where can I get graphics?  LL~

Gotta find a font for the "LOSER," that fits. Or make something up. Fitting a font to something really requires thought plus a bit of application.  "T's" and "A's" of design. Thoughts and Applications.

Maybe I should have spelled it "LOOSER?" Could have used the "O's" like at HOOTERs. Then you could say, "Wow! Look at those LOOSERS!" 

I didn't really want to fire up my airbrush, that's work. I thought about aerosol cans and some guys do well by them.

At least with the airbrush or paint spraying equipment, you have control of the air and paint, a good thing. I don't know what paint I'll use either, haven't used dope in 50 years! Have to figure it out.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles 

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Still, could be a time saver. How would one keep the piece straight in the middle without a guide? Does that method work with bent pieces? Most of my wood is bent. I can see one advantage as, when it bottoms out, it's done!
I actually don't take the edge to a actual point. I leave a tad flat.
Charles,
             support the aluminum angle at 45º on its 'Vee' point, cupped upwards and simply grip an uncut piece of balsa with both hands, drop it in and it will naturally be very close to perpendicular just by eye.

If it tends to vary due to hardness differences, not being held dead straight or whatever then its no big deal to pressure one side more than the other or just sand some more.

Once the angle is right, then lay it flat on the bench and cut the flap to shape, not the other way around.

The sharp edge I have found useful for positioning hinge lines and its no big deal evenly taking the edge back with a few quick swipes of a sanding block but can you say the same with creating an even edge 'flat' when using your method?

Curved balsa for solid flaps and elevators, big no no in my book - don' t do it.
If what you have is all curved then its far better to laminate two pieces back to back and work to the centre of them.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
Chris,

Good advice! You're correct, it'll be easier to knock down the point a bit with a pass or two than try to sand to a small flat.

I never have "rounded" movable control surfaces, always sanded at 45 degrees, even with R/C pattern construction.

the LOSER's flaps were sanded before you replied so I'll try your method on my next model. Marcus has something going and he said he will try this on his current model.

Did my flaps this afternoon and cut openings for the hinges, four hinges per flap. I'll pin the hinges at both ends.

Here's the trial fit. yes, the flaps still have to be trimmed at the fuselage.

Thanks for the reply!

Charles
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:39:47 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 03:22:18 AM »
Yeah, it came in handy... I'm about to shape the flaps and elevators of my Magnum. Glad I haven't yet #^
Gotta go to the hardware store later...

Thanks again Chris

I like white and red a lot Charles, so white as a base and red outlining the edges?

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 07:24:01 PM »
I have no wire or different thickness metal strips to use as a guide for sanding flaps to a taper. Been using different thickness balsa for a long long time on R/C models. Did The New American this way.

The center line is most important, I draw this line on all sides of the flap including the ends.

The tape stops the sanding, obviously, but changing the tape repeatedly is necessary.

Works for me!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 07:44:03 AM »
Flaps. I decided they will stay solid, was going to "hole" them but laziness took over.  n~

Hinge pockets made, 45 degree angle cut at the LE and TE tapered to 1/8".

They will be test fit with all hinges in place, I'll sand the wing tips when I do this. Possibly today?

Then, I'll be able to put these flaps aside and move onto some other area.

Charles

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
It does look much better....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
It does look much better....Marcus

Marcus,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, it's a nicer looking wing. I'm glad I spent the time drawing and building it. Put a little Dr. Good filler in the wing tips.

I'm at a dead stop right now because I a few decisions to make.

One is, do I put the gear in the wing?

The other, do I create and build, a built up fuselage using this profile?

I ordered a venturi and NVA for the engine I might use on The LOSER. I do have a few choices.

I have to weigh some things first.

Thanks again for the reply!

Charles 

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »
I am of the opinion that wing mounted gear will reduce drag very slightly due to the legs being shorter and tendency of less acute angles where they intersect the fuselage.

But its has to be very minimal.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
I am of the opinion that wing mounted gear will reduce drag very slightly due to the legs being shorter and tendency of less acute angles where they intersect the fuselage.But its has to be very minimal.

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I found some wheel pants.

Here are the pants. Probably a bit large but I already have them. Fiberglass. Those holes and the notch were cut long ago, they were for an R/C model but the model didn't last long enough for me to put them on.  n~

Charles
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:34:18 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 08:35:48 AM »
I started work on the parts needed for the wing landing gear blocks.

Eight pieces taped together and cut with my neighbor's band saw. I move the tape around.

Green marker is for no errors.

Don't have the blocks yet so the notch for the blocks aren't cut.

I could have just used two 1/16" pieces for each side for the blocks, but I decided on four 1/32" pieces on each side. Spread the load? Could be over kill and a bit more weight?

Placed a filler piece over the adjustment tube for the Dragonfly leadout adjustment. This will be filled a bit more and cleaned up.

In place temporarely for the fit, are the eight 1/32 doublers for the gear blocks. They will be removed and notched for the size of the blocks and length of the blocks then put back in place permanently.

I'm wondering how much unneeded weight will be added if I construct a built up fuselage around the profile? Some material in the profile could be removed?

Charles

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »
Greetings Charles. Buiding a new full bodied fuse, is easier, and lighter.

May I make a suggestion?

Finish and fly your profile before starting any re-design. It will show areas that need adressing, and will help you progress with developing your design into the best it can be. 
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »
Overkill? Yeah.  I use 1/64 ply doublers on three ribs and 1/4 bass wood for the blocks on a full size 65+ ounce model.  Weight adds up quickly.
Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
I received an email telling me of a movie called, "The LOSERS."

What a shock when I googled the thing!! I still can't believe it.

Being a movie buff, I have no idea how I missed this movie. I'm excited.

Thanks to Photoshop, I now have "The LOSER" logo text.  ;D

Next step is to find a way to see the movie!!!

Outstanding!

Charles

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:58:34 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 02:19:18 AM »
I did say I stole the design of The LOSER from The International. Or I used The International as a guide.

I had this on screen this morning.

You can see the outline of "The International" in red and "The LOSER" in black.

The overlay, where I bring the two images together, shows the differences.

Changed canopy and rudder and you have a different model.

Not many differences though.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
I said I was going to build a built up fuselage around the profile.

Probably a mistake.

Former location drawn right on the fuselage.

I'll draw the formers in CAD and have them laser cut.

Different size formers on each side because  of the 9/16" thick

profile fuselage. Only one side of the fuselage is in the center line.

Correction in fuselage shap at the bottom nose. Added 1/8" for a small distance.

Charles 

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
Hi Charles.  I've thought about doing that myself from time to time.  Just cut out anything on the fuse you don't need and that shouls save a lot of weight.  I love the look of this ship, although I like the tail of the International a little more.  I just like round shapes!  You know.... the old reason sailors always refer to ships as "she"......they both have round bottoms! LOL LL~ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 08:50:11 AM »
I did say I stole the design of The LOSER from The International. Or I used The International as a guide.

Changed canopy and rudder and you have a different model.

Not many differences though.

Charles

Hmmm

Very interesting.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
Charles

How dou plan to build it?
I mean round or square-like?
Block or buildup?
It should become a nice looking model...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »
Charles How dou plan to build it? I mean round or square-like?
Block or buildup? It should become a nice looking model...Marcus

Keith,

Nice looking airplane in that 3-view. Interesting gear placement and extension.

I've always had interest in the old look in models. The Tiger Shark is my most liked model.

Marcus,

I believe the look of The International's fuselage was influenced by a model called "The Clown." I'd have to go through my photos to be sure. We know where the wing came from.

(Found it!, Model is the Flying Clown!")

I show the formers in that graphics Thread. Everything is round/oval. I'm using the drawing for The International to make the formers for The Loser. A time savor.

I’ll just glue the formers in place and use stringers/strips. Just as I did with this 72" model of the Tiger Shark.

I hope to do the drawing over the weekend.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »
See post below!

Charles
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:53:43 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »
Still knocking myself out with The LOSER, maintaining interest.

I could have left the inside plywood doubler uncut for the engine opening, the LA .40 doesn't need the inside cut.

So, a 1/32" piece of plywood will have to close this area off. The plywood will be epoxied.

Filler piece to close off the area behind the engine. Widened at the bolt area for "T" nuts.

Necessary tasks.

Originally, with the original fuselage design, the nose moment was much shorter. Plenty of room for a tank!

Plywood nose ring ready to be cut. I'll have a smaller balsa nose ring also.

I settled on a 1 degree offset, based on recommendations. Brodack wedges.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 06:09:52 AM »
Here's my little closing panel epoxied in place.

I use a "C" clamp to draw in the blind nuts or "T" nuts.

I always use the larger blind nuts when I can. I placed a small one in for the photo.

Getting there!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 01:34:11 PM »
A Brodak weight box. Centered on the CG. Well, close anyway.  ;D

Trimed ever so slightly to reduce weight.  n~  Kidding.

I did have to shave the thing to fit between the ribs. It's also on an angle so I trimed the side at the bottom. Did all that with a Dremel table saw I purchased from a modeler on SH a while back. Actually from an ad in the Classifides.

This box could be made with 1/16" stock and weigh half that of the 1/8" stock.

A bit of Dr. Good that has to be knocked down on the TE of the wing tip.

Getting there!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »
Well, looks like The LOSER is getting a nose job.

I also, by popular demand, fitted the LA .46 instead of the LA .40. I'm using a .75'' prop extension and a special prop nut made by Dick Pacini. Dick does excellent work.

I decided on a one degree offset, just to be honest, and a 1/8'' plywood nose ring.

I'm keeping the 2.25'' spinner backplate 1/8'' ahead of the nose ring. Can always be tightened up by slipping in an extra 1/16'' plywood nose ring shim. There are fillers that can be used for this also. I use Dr. Good.   n~

Nothing is glued in place yet, just shims and small wedges holding everything in place. Both rings are marked and will be removed for sanding.

The 1/8" balsa nose ring will be less in diameter than the plywood nose ring. This will allow for a suitable surface area for the fuselage planking.

For any sanding, that has to be done with the engine in place, the engine will be protected by covering.

Charles

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »
Liked that extension...
Is it a brand-new engine?
I'm looking forward to seeing this model finished.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »
Liked that extension...Is it a brand-new engine?I'm looking forward to seeing this model finished.Marcus

Marcus,

I like the extension also. I have a longer one.  n~

Yes, engine is NIB.

I'm looking forward to seeing the model finished also.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »
 LL~ LL~ LL~

I was just trying to make the point about building the model as light as possible "before" any weight was added, anyplace.

About that over sized weight box that is available off the shelf.

I'd like to have a set-up that brings, any necessary added weight, closer to the wing tip. Plus, having the option to not have needed added weight placed in a "fixed" location.

Charles

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:12:24 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
Slow progress but none the less progress.

Actually I'm waiting on custom HDWE from Tom Morris. All "off his shelf" items except for a special flap control horn with two horns and an elevator control horn. Both attached to 90 degree bent wire. Tom will make anything to your drawn diagram or specifications. Great stuff!

I posted about The LOSER's snout, but here's a photo or two.

Just drew the fuselage formers in CAD. Six is the lucky number. Drew them in different colors because they wrere overlaped.

Placement of the formers were also done in CAD.

My machine will draw these on paper correct size. I'll glue the paper to wood and cut away. No laser cutting here, all old school. Well, except for the CAD.

Charles
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:45:03 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 07:45:20 AM »
Little bit more progress with the beginning of what will be needed for a full built up fuselage. Cute as buttons.  n~

Fuselage formers were drawn in CAD and reproduced on paper by my vinyl cutter. The machine doesn't know if it has a blade or a pen in it. Red crayon too for that matter.

Paper drawings were glued to balsa and simply cut with a #11 X-acto blade. I will have to double up on a couple of formers to allow for a removable cowling. Ever see that sign? "Plan Ah ea  d?" Gotta be able to remove the engine and service the tank. I'm guessing the cowling will be a long one, from the #2 former, at the LE to the ply doubler at The LOSER's snout. Unless I think a bit and get a little creative?

Charles

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »
I thought this was going to be a profile? Or are you making one profile and one full fuselage version? I'm confused?

Hint: The TMA is still much too short, and the horizontal stabalizer even smaller %-wise than it should be, due to the new, bigger wing. It should still fly, but corner will be modest, and CG will likely be a problem. But good luck anyway.  It was trying to snow today. @@^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
I thought this was going to be a profile? Or are you making one profile and one full fuselage version? I'm confused?

Hint: The TMA is still much too short, and the horizontal stabalizer even smaller %-wise than it should be, due to the new, bigger wing. It should still fly, but corner will be modest, and CG will likely be a problem. But good luck anyway.  It was trying to snow today. @@^ Steve

Steve,

Same model. Started out as a profile but will now be built up.

If it flys badly I'll let you know. I won't say it flies well if it doesn't.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 09:19:40 PM »
I don't know what I was thinking here?

I intended to close up the inboard side of The Loser's profile fuselage and failed.

I made the piece to short, it should have gone all the way to the balsa nose ring. I noticed it tonight, so here's the fix. Surprised no one picked up on this mistake?

Charles

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »
I saw it, but thought you were going to cover it with a cool graphic! LL~ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »
It started out with an elderly Ringmaster-ish wing salvaged from a wreck, I think. Then it got a Twister wing with flaps, and now it's getting a full fuselage? Why would you be worrying about this bit of engine sticking out of the profile fuselage still? I'd suggest getting it flying, and go burn some fuel while you are still able and allowed. JMHO.  :! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »
It started out with an elderly Ringmaster-ish wing salvaged from a wreck, I think. Then it got a Twister wing with flaps, and now it's getting a full fuselage? Why would you be worrying about this bit of engine sticking out of the profile fuselage still? I'd suggest getting it flying, and go burn some fuel while you are still able and allowed. JMHO.  :! Steve

Steve,

Wing was salvaged from a model, the Twister wing is modified, the full fuselage will look great!

The inboard side of the profile has to be sealed because of spent fuel.

This will allow clean up of the outboadr side under and inside the cowling.

I like building, I don't rush.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
Got all The LOSER's fuselage formers cut.

Gotta remember, the center line is on the outside side of the profile fuselage. The thickness of the profile fuselage has to be removed from the formers that attach to the inboard side of the profile fuselage. What was that?  n~

I have all my right formers cut on center and will remove the rest of the inboard former material to fit the profile fuselage thickness. Or I should say the lack of it.  n~

An accurate center line is needed to correctly place all formers.

All former placements are drawn on the fuselage. Location measurements gotten from my CAD drawing.

I think I opened Pandora's box.  :!

Charles

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2012, 02:58:23 AM »
Charles

I saw you placed a former right on the hinge line of the flap and another one just behind it. Stress area?
How are you planning the flap horn?

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2012, 06:57:54 AM »
Charles
I saw you placed a former right on the hinge line of the flap and another one just behind it. Stress area?
How are you planning the flap horn? Marcus

Marcus,

Good questions.

Stress area? I don't know, there's more fuselage meat there than anyplace else around the airfoil area. It's done that way?

I designed a special control horn, tollarence to the 10,000 of an inch, that's being engineered by Tom Morris.  ;D

Actually give or take just an .125".

Should fit perfectly after I trim an opening/hole in that former for the movement of it.  n~

BTW, that former and one other former have to be remade. Both are 1/8" too narrow. The 1/8" will help add area to the opening for the horn.

FYI. This is not an engineered build. No plans or directions. I'm making it up as I go along.  n~

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:07 AM »
Made a quick paper template of the engine opening. Not quite that accurate but a start when it comes time.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here