Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Carrier

Will the 30 degree rule REALLY kill the slider?

(1/5) > >>

Paul Smith:
I assumed so at first.

But on further consideration, I suspect that even at 30 degree nose-up angle, having the model cocked 20-30 degrees outboard will still make it easier to score a better low speed than a fixed leadout model.  So, whether the proposal passes or not, slider-type planes will still be competitive.

I have hunch that 30 degrees will be MORE of an enforcement job for then center judge. 

Like having 30 MPH vs 60 MPHN speed limit on a city street.  The lower limit is easier to violate, even on accident.

bdt-m:
IMO.... if the 30-degree rule passes, and the low-speed scoring remains the same, LS at 30 degrees will require the equal skill as 60. You will see a difference in airplane designs, thicker wings, larger wing area, max wing span. Possibly new innovations or a direction not currently obvious.

It certainly won't change who 'WINS' as some would think; winning is more of the effort put forth than the rules in place, and those that 'WIN' now, will put forth the needed effort to keep winning....and that's how it should be.

Leave the rules alone.... put the effort in to be competitive, 'WIN', or just enjoy the event for what it is.

john e. holliday:
I sit here remembering the late Bill Melton flying at the Lincolns NATS when I first met him.  At no time did he get close to 20 degrees or higher than 6 feet in low speed.  I used to have one of his class 2 planes that was told not to hang it.   But somebody else thought they knew better.  No carrier after that fight. D>K

Paul Smith:

--- Quote from: bdt-m on May 26, 2023, 10:24:00 AM ---
It certainly won't change who 'WINS' as some would think; winning is more of the effort put forth than the rules in place, and those that 'WIN' now, will put forth the needed effort to keep winning....and that's how it should be.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, practice, skill, effort, AND a one-of-a-kind special engine built 40 years ago by a manufacturer who is long gone.

We would do well to simply replace the Profile Carrier rules with the NWS-40 rules.  Fight it our as equals with OS FP 40's.

bdt-m:

--- Quote from: Paul Smith on May 26, 2023, 03:01:44 PM ---Yeah, practice, skill, effort, AND a one-of-a-kind special engine built 40 years ago by a manufacturer who is long gone.

We would do well to simply replace the Profile Carrier rules with the NWS-40 rules.  Fight it our as equals with OS FP 40's.

--- End quote ---

"AND a one-of-a-kind special engine built 40 years ago by a manufacturer who is long gone".... 40 years ago, really? Who is that? You don't need that "one-of-a-kind special engine"... many Nat's championships have been won with engines other than the one you are referencing.

NWS-40 rules are fine for NWS... plus; OS FP 40's have also been "long gone". Not that I advocate your proposal, however; if you are going to go down this road you need an engine that is available over the counter TODAY, the OS FP 40 is not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version