News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:53:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which engine? Profile Dauntless.  (Read 3490 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Which engine? Profile Dauntless.
« on: March 23, 2021, 12:45:32 PM »
I have one of the late Art Johnson's Profile Dauntless.  It is airplane and tank only.

I want to sport fly it, but the length of the engine does not match up with any engine I have.  The What did he run?  Should I plug the holes and use something else?   
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Which engine? Profile Dauntless.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 01:05:15 PM »
I have one of the late Art Johnson's Profile Dauntless.  It is airplane and tank only.

I want to sport fly it, but the length of the engine does not match up with any engine I have.  The What did he run?  Should I plug the holes and use something else?   

For just sport flying any OS RC engine from 25 to 46 would be just fine.
For contest winning you need a left-handed Nelson 36 or K&B 5.8.  It's probably set up for one of those.
Paul Smith

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
"For contest winning you need a left-handed Nelson 36 or K&B 5.8"   Incorrect. To win a contest you need to practice. Period.

I remember Art having a 15 Dauntless but hat was probably 10 or more years ago. If it is a full sized profile then if you can get a Thunder tiger 36 that hasnt been modified for stunt that would be a really good starting point. An OS 32SX or 32 F would be  good if you can find them.  Or even a good fox combat special. There is an ad on flyinglines.org for vintage combat engines that would be worth looking into as well. It depends on what you are wanting to do with it, sport fly or profile carrier.

Now that I think about it Art probably had a K&B 5.8 on it.

David

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 03:24:48 PM »
Never mind what I said, I just reread your post and saw that you said you wanted to sport fly it. I would just make an aluminum plate to mount whatever engine you want to use that way you don't have to worry about trying to match up holes or add material. I would still shoot for that 30 to 40 sized engine, a 25 might be a little underpowered. 40FP would probably be good to give plenty of power and be able to have a little fun with it.

David

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 04:56:23 PM »
With a stock FP40 you could enter it in NWS 40.

As for the left-handed engines, they are very hard to get, but ALL the winners use them.  Torquing-out, along with practice is what wins and sets records.
Paul Smith

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 06:01:28 PM »
"but ALL the winners use them.......Torquing-out, along with practice is what wins and sets records."  Pete (and about a million Eugene Ely awards) would disagree. As long as plane is trimmed well and the pilot knows their plane success can be achieved. Not much difference until you start talking more extreme conditions(aka wind). A LH engine can be used as a crutch for a poorly set up plane, but then you are just masking other problems that should be fixed anyways. LH engines should be more of a tuning tool to get that little bit of extra performance on a bad weather day along with that extra pilot skill you get from practicing.

Now the practice part yes that does help set records.

I think this is going a little far considering he said he was just going to sport fly it so Dave good luck with it. I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure Art would be pleased to see someone flying his equipment still.

David

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 06:35:33 PM »
If it had a 5.8 on it, an OS 40 FSR should fit. Maybe not legal for anything, but an extremely sweet running engine with the stock 4BK carb. There are probably some for sale right now on ebay.

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »
I believe Art only flew a dauntless in .15. He may have used a Super Tigre .15 in this one. For sport flying any reliable R/C .15 would be just fine.
On the other discussion, indeed I do not use a left-hand engine in Carrier. Even in electric carrier, where the motor can be reversed by simply switching a couple of wires, I do not fly left-hand rotation.
Pete

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 07:56:08 PM »
Guardian perhaps?

Offline Bill Calkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 10:43:37 AM »
Art's Dauntless was a .15. I think that may have had an old Rossi on it. I'll dig around, I may have a photo of it.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 06:28:41 PM »
its not 15 sized no way. a 5 oz or bigger tank

The motor lugs are pretty long, about 25mm apart. 

I'll miss Art and his son Tom at Airventure. 
Pete, and Bill you guys knew him well. 

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 09:48:09 AM »
I do not recognize the airplane and the AMA number has too many digits to belong to Art. So this airplane may well have been flown by someone else. Daughter Jane is a possibility.
Pete

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 02:38:22 PM »
I do not recognize the airplane and the AMA number has too many digits to belong to Art. So this airplane may well have been flown by someone else. Daughter Jane is a possibility.
Pete

I helped her clean several truckloads of stuff from his basement. 
She called AMA and had Art's AMA number assigned to Chris. 

Art's swap meet partner took the stuff he wanted(engines).  That probably was only 1/2 of it.  Chris and I took a lot more of it and a lot of it was real junk.  Every room was full of old boxes.       
Made me get really serious about having a plan. 

I think I will redrill the airplane for an FP40.  The holes are almost 2.5mm long.  It's kind of heavy.     
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 02:20:41 PM »
Isn't Bill Calkins' AMA # 1976? Perhaps this was his plane back in the day before he got a CD license and a lower number. Just a shot in the dark...

Offline Bill Calkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 12:49:57 PM »
I looked, it's not a Melton or One of mine. I'll dig out an old database and see if I can find something in there.

Offline Bill Calkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 08:29:42 AM »
I looked and couldn't 19768 as an AMA number in any of my databases.
Judging from the discoloration of  the front of the tank and fuel lines, I would guess a 5.8.
Send me more bolt spacings and I'll compare them to a 5.8 I have.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 09:24:12 AM »
If you want to practice before the Nats this year considering coming to the Lafayette Esquadrille CL fun fly. The permanent concrete carrier deck can be set up to fly with with some or all of the 10 ropes in place. I will have the ropes available at the field if someone wants to fly off the deck do some practice landings

June 5-6, 2021 - Lafayette Esquadrille CL Fun Fly - Carrier deck can be set up!

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 06:01:40 PM »
As for the left-handed engines, they are very hard to get, but ALL the winners use them.  Torquing-out, along with practice is what wins and sets records.
Any Enya that has a bolt on crankcase can easily be made to spin clockwise.
Simply rotate the front casting 90 degrees - can't recall which way though but it won't be hard to find out.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here