Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Carrier

Which engine? Profile Dauntless.

(1/4) > >>

dave siegler:
I have one of the late Art Johnson's Profile Dauntless.  It is airplane and tank only.

I want to sport fly it, but the length of the engine does not match up with any engine I have.  The What did he run?  Should I plug the holes and use something else?   

Paul Smith:

--- Quote from: dave siegler on March 23, 2021, 12:45:32 PM ---I have one of the late Art Johnson's Profile Dauntless.  It is airplane and tank only.

I want to sport fly it, but the length of the engine does not match up with any engine I have.  The What did he run?  Should I plug the holes and use something else?   

--- End quote ---

For just sport flying any OS RC engine from 25 to 46 would be just fine.
For contest winning you need a left-handed Nelson 36 or K&B 5.8.  It's probably set up for one of those.

david smith:
"For contest winning you need a left-handed Nelson 36 or K&B 5.8"   Incorrect. To win a contest you need to practice. Period.

I remember Art having a 15 Dauntless but hat was probably 10 or more years ago. If it is a full sized profile then if you can get a Thunder tiger 36 that hasnt been modified for stunt that would be a really good starting point. An OS 32SX or 32 F would be  good if you can find them.  Or even a good fox combat special. There is an ad on flyinglines.org for vintage combat engines that would be worth looking into as well. It depends on what you are wanting to do with it, sport fly or profile carrier.

Now that I think about it Art probably had a K&B 5.8 on it.

David

david smith:
Never mind what I said, I just reread your post and saw that you said you wanted to sport fly it. I would just make an aluminum plate to mount whatever engine you want to use that way you don't have to worry about trying to match up holes or add material. I would still shoot for that 30 to 40 sized engine, a 25 might be a little underpowered. 40FP would probably be good to give plenty of power and be able to have a little fun with it.

David

Paul Smith:
With a stock FP40 you could enter it in NWS 40.

As for the left-handed engines, they are very hard to get, but ALL the winners use them.  Torquing-out, along with practice is what wins and sets records.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version