News:

• May 23, 2024, 09:00:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Return of the Vireo  (Read 871 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The Return of the Vireo
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
In this link, http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20789.0 , I introduced the Vickers 125 Vireo. The Vireo was an attempt in 1928 for a ‘lightweight’ carrier plane. Although unsuccessful, it did go through carrier trials and is a legal for bonus points. A couple of years ago I started looking at ‘lightweight concepts myself. What better choice to pursue some of my ideas than the Vireo. Well there probably are a lot, but….

I have finally worked the Vireo into my build schedule. I am notoriously slow so this may take some time.

I have a draft plan drawn and start cutting tonight. The plane will be small, about what a15 size plane might be. See attached

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Return of the Vireo
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
Well, I am finally getting back to the Vireo. Stuff kept getting in the way and today I finally got back to the model bench. Even though my drawing shows a conventional wing, I am going to use a foam wing with a KFm3 airfoil. A complete description is in the attachment. I’ve built two carrier planes with a KFm2 and it works very well.

Construction is simple, the parts are cut from pink 3/8 foam sheathing. There are a number of different foams, I use this one because I have it left over from a project. I use carbon fiber arrow shafts for spars. I pick them up at my local archery range. There are always some broken ones in the trash.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »
I made a bit of progress on the Vireo today. I have been slowed by lack of some plywood. Unfortunately there are few places within a reasonable distance to get any, and the closest shop didn’t have what I needed, so to the mail order method.

I did get 60% of the gear done. For scale carrier the gear must exit at the scale location. That means the wing for the Vireo. I am using a torsion bar type gear. Ply panels are glued to each side of the foam and bushed with brass tube. I should finish tomorrow and I’ll get so photos. .

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
Here are some pictures of the gear. I have used this method for foam before and it works quite well.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »
I have made a bit of progress on the Vireo’s wing. It is difficult to see what is gong on, but the wing looks like a stair step. All this looks pretty rough, but when sanded a little and painted it becomes much better looking as my Seafire shows.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »
I almost feel bad about disturbing the quite of the carrier board, but I have made some progress on the Vireo. The fuselage is mostly blocked out, and the wing 90% finished. My goal of a total weight of 16-20oz is looking good, even though I forgot some lightening holes in the doublers. The weight with only a couple of parts missing it is 11.5oz.

Advertise Here
Tags: Build Thread 

Advertise Here