News:

• May 20, 2024, 11:08:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thriottle range and direction?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Thriottle range and direction?
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:33:08 AM »
Hooked up the controls on my FJ this morning and came up with a couple questions..

First, does it really matter what direction the throttle moves? I had to put a transfer link in my throttle which reversed it from what a straight link from the bellcrank to the engine would be..

2nd, My bellcrank has more range than the engine. In Paul Smith's Skyrader thread he says..

"The Brodak bellcrank has about 1.15" inches of throttle output, but the OS carb only wants 0.70". To reconcile this, I had to make a new, longer throttle arm for the engine. Otherwise the line pull will be transferred into the throttle.".

I don't think I get it, is this because you will try to move the 3rd line further than it can go?

TIA:

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Thriottle range and direction?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:43:26 AM »
OK,

I measured the output of the Brodak bellcrank and found it to be about 1.15".  
The OS carb with the stock throttle arm only needed .700" to do a full 90 degrees of travel.  So if nothing is done to correct it, the control force will be "bottomed out" against the throttle arm and hence the carburator.

To correct this, I made a new longer throttle arm for the carb.  This one has about 1.15" inches of throw, so when the bellcranks goes through full travel, the throttle also goes full travel and does not bottom out.

To get the direction right, I move the throttle arm to the TOP side of the carb.  

On bigger profiles, I have solved this with an idler bellcrank, but on this model, there was no room.

-------------------

Direction of travel -

The accepted standard is UP line in back and GAS line slightly slack at high speed.   Thus, you PULL the trigger to go FAST.  With this setup, when you hover at low speed, the UP and GAS lines are carrying the load and the (front) down line is slack.  This helps the model hang out even more.  Conversely, at HIGH speed, the front line is carrying half the load and making the airplane square up better.

All my models, except my Sig SPAD, are set up this way.  I built the SPAD back in a past millenium, when I didn't know the truth.  The SPAD dosen't know the truth either, so it still flys OK.

Paul Smith

david smith

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:43:48 PM »
Basically if you have less movement of the arm on the carb than on the bellcrank the controls will "bottom out".  The trigger would be all the way back on the handle for high and when you throttled down instead of hitting idle at full extension of the trigger you would get it at the half way point of trigger movement. 

The direction of movement of the pushrod from the bellcrank to the carb doesnt matter if it pushes or pulls it just matters which way you want your handle to work and the style of bellcrank(inverted or right side up).

David

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:07:04 PM »
David,  I hate to say this but, like Paul I have had three line bell cranks that gave more movement than the throttle on the carb would allow.  Hence the longer throttle arm.  Also in a system set up correctly there should be tension on all three lines at high speed.  That is the way I have set them up since my first J-Roberts system.  Also some guys like to pull for low speed.  It confuses the pit boss sometimes because he thinks he is pulling hidh speed with the trigger all the way back.  I have tried both and it takes practice no matter which one you use.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »
In a perfect world,

Stunters and combat planes keep equal tension on both lines at all times.

Carrier and Scale jobs keep equal tension on all 3 lines at all times.

But a lot of people recognize that we are not living a perfect world and set up their models accordingly.

Anyhow, I operate under the theory that transmitting LINE PULL to the control horn or the throttle arm is a REALLY BAD TING, and set up my controls accordingly.   In defense of DuBro, In think a lot of abuse aimed at their clevi was unwarrented, but rather the result of grossly overstressing the product.
Paul Smith

david smith

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 05:04:27 PM »
I agree with both of you that it is a bad thing when one moves farther than the other because it can cause all kind of problems. With what Paul was saying about an idler bellcrank, that works great when the bellcrank is on the opposite side of the engine and the bellcrank pulls when you need it to push because the smaller one reverses the throw and as long as the holes for the pushrods are the same distance away from the pivot then the throw distance will be the same.  You can make up for the shorter throw of the arm on the carb by moving the hole for the pushrod on the engine side closer to the pivot of the idler bellcrank.  The same theory applies if you run a transfer shaft for a set up that you dont want to reverse the throw of the throttle pushrod.  It is the same concept with control horns and putting the pushrod in a different hole will change the throw.

As for line tension yes a perfect world would be great we could have line tension on all three lines get a good high and a good low throw in a landing and maybe even getting an engine to run right at the Nats. But we dont and we have to deal with engine problems and line tension on two or so lines instead.  So just try to set everything as close as you can and fly it, nothing makes up for practice.

David

PS the first pic is a idler bellcrank and the second you can kind of see my transfer shaft behind the landing gear.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 09:12:59 AM »
Thanks guys,

This morning I made a new control arm for the inside of my transfer link 1 inch long and drilled another hole in the engine side arm 1/2 inch from the pivot to give me a 2 to 1 reduction. This made the bellcrank throw match the engine throw.

Still haven't decided about reversing the engine control arm. Easy enough to move it to the top of the carb but then the linkage would (in my eyes) be gaudy, sticking out so far and running under the exhaust. Will probably start out leaving it reversed and change it if I run into any issues. This will be the first 3 line airplane I've ever flown so don't have any habits to unlearn.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 10:00:59 AM »
I did a lot of slot car racing and R/C car stuff way back when.  My trigger finger got programmed for pull for high speed.  When I started flying carrier I just put the airplane together not thinking about pull or push.  The problem came when I was flying, with push for fast I was doing the wrong thing when it wasn't the right time.  So now my stuff is set up for pull for high speed.  It depends on what the individual is used to or not used to.  There was a big discussion about this subject within the last year on the forum.

The Roberts system was designed to have equal pull on all three lines at all times.  Thus the difference in line size requirements in the Carrier rules.  Setting the system up so that none of the lines ever go slack is a design given.

If you fly high speed with a slack line, you're playing with fire as far as what the lines are supposed to handle IMO.

don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 03:00:06 PM »
Never thought about slot cars did allot of that in the 60's, bet the muscle memory is still ingrained.. kinda like you never forget how to fly or ride a bike. Pull to go fast will probably work out well for me...

Thanks

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »
When you fly a real airplane you push to go, when you drive a car you push to go when you drive a lawnmower you push to go when you drive a boat you push to go but most carrier flyers pull to go fast ?    Mike
mike potter

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »
When you fly a real airplane you push to go, when you drive a car you push to go when you drive a lawnmower you push to go when you drive a boat you push to go but most carrier flyers pull to go fast ?    Mike

Pretty much...

You do pull the trigger to fire a gun.

There is one point about the J. Roberts system that hasn't been mentioned. While it is designed to share the load over all 3 lines, the pull mode does allow the main bellcrank to slide to the hard stop on the mechanism, just in case. That means the up / down lines carry the full flight load.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
Makes sense for at least two lines taking the high speed load.

And when you ride a motorcycle you twist (pull) toward you to go.  A feature that gets a lot of first time riders in trouble.  It is opposite of the normal reaction, e.g. to pull on the horse's reins or a dog's leash to stop.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 04:08:41 AM »
Pretty much...

You do pull the trigger to fire a gun.

There is one point about the J. Roberts system that hasn't been mentioned. While it is designed to share the load over all 3 lines, the pull mode does allow the main bellcrank to slide to the hard stop on the mechanism, just in case. That means the up / down lines carry the full flight load.

I prefer to set up my handle with the trigger pulled back for high speed. It does prove to be easier to hold the handle in that mode. Moving forward to slow down doesnt give me any issues. Relative to the load, it needs to be on the up and down lines for sure as any load on the throtle line will cause hunting issues.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 11:06:50 PM »

fwiw:   None of my planes fly without equal tension on all three lines at all times in flight. That's a given. But, not in flight, for the pulltest, which is 96 lbs for my ClassII, (the plane isn't heavy, but the motor dang sure is) the tension has to be equal on all three lines or they would pop like popcorn! ):

Greb, Pete, Eric, Bill, somebody, a little help here?

dg

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 09:11:36 AM »
Old DOC here,  All I know is when I pull for high(the trigger) speed the lines all look to be pulling equal tension.  Now if I go to full low sppeed on the ground the lines may not be equal.  Also when I am flying I have never went to full low speed on the handle.  So I say which ever way the trigger is for high speed the lines should be equal tension on all three lines.   This is when the pit boss needs to know which is high speed and not worry about any thing else than line diameters.  We lost a good NATS flyer as a pit boss did not concentrate on his job.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »
     Pete is the guy that seems to have the best take on how the lines should work. Now I'll tell you how I set mine up. I push to go fast so my pull test is done with the lines in neutral (the throttle trigger is all the way forward). The lines should appear all the same length before the pull test starts and should stay that way during the test. Having said that, when I pull the throttle trigger back for low speed while the lines are locked in the HS position in the slider the throttle line line will go slack at half throttle and below.
     After the slider has released the lines, and the plane rotates outward then the throttle is closed when the throttle trigger is all the way back and wide open is now somewhere in or near the middle of the trigger travel. The reason for this is that the geometry changes when the lines go from the HS location at the wing tip to the LS location on the slider.
     The way I set my lines up is to run them out and stake the handle in a neutral position (big stakes or nails (8")). Then I go back to the plane and pick it up and pull hard (20 pounds) and the elevator should be close to natural and the throttle should be all the way open and the lines should all be neutral in length. If the lines lengths are different then adjust at the handle with line clips. Note that I dedicate a set of lines to each of my carrier planes so they are mounted permanently on the bellcrank and only adjusted at the handle.
     I see allot of different approaches to how lines are set up, some of which makes it really hard to stand there and be a timer and so far have never seen a line break in flight. Seen a few break during pull test and its always a blessing when it happens.  Eric

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 09:32:31 AM »
Let me give my preferences on this, too. I pull the trigger for high speed, and my up line is aft. I am pretty pleased with this setup. I also have a cable attached to the leading edge of the wing and ending in a loop that goes around the up line between the line slider and the fuse. The idea of this "corrector line" is to restore neutral elevator to nearly the correct handle position after the slider goes aft, and to minimize the changes to the throttle position. This has been published before, but let me go through the whole deal here.
The idea is to be able to get full throttle in high speed but you don't need to reach minimum throttle during high speed. For low speed you want the full throttle range, or very nearly so. So set your line/leadout lengths so throttle is right in low speed. Neutral elevator is required in high speed, but it is not so important in low: Holding a bit of up in low speed is not a problem, but holding a lot of elevator in low, especially if it is down elevator, makes flying difficult. So my setup procedure would be as follows. First, make all your flying lines the same length, exactly. You might make spares at the same time, so if you break or kink a line and need a replacement, you don't have to go through any setup, just put in a new one you have already made. Then set up your elevation line leadouts so they are the same length when in neutral and slider forward position. This gives you level elevator for high speed. Now, release the slider to the aft position and set the corrector so that you are almost, but not quite, in level elevator position. (Trying to correct this perfectly may be difficult with extreme sliders, and is not needed.) Set the handle trigger in forward (low speed) position and make up the throttle leadout so that the throttle system is at the full low speed end of the bellcrank travel. (All this setup can be done with the throttle linkage disconnected. The idea is to get the travel right from stop-to-stop on the bellcrank. You can hook up the throttle linkage later, without having anyone out on the handle but just using the full travel on the bellcrank.)
Now, when you check things out at the field, you will find that you have the elevator in neutral for high speed, and the throttle uses the full travel in low speed. But the throttle line may be drooping in high speed (slider forward) if you pull the trigger all the way back. This is not a problem for either flight or pull test. For pull test, just leave the trigger alone and the forces on the lines will equalize as the bellcrank automatically moves to a position equalizing the forces. In flight, the forces on the three lines will be equal unless you pull the trigger with a death-grip. Just relax to the tension a bit and the forces are fully distributed. If you really try to pull the trigger hard, you will be fighting the full forces of the flight pull with one finger, which is not a fair match. It doesn't help the flight, and just makes your finger hurt on the trigger, so just relax. When I go to low speed, I might not get full travel using the trigger, but it will slow the airplane down a lot. I set up my slider to release requiring both low throttle and down elevator. This may require me to reach around the handle to pull the throttle line sideways a little while I give a pulse of down elevator. This is pretty easy to do.
I hope I have made this clear enough to be understood by all. It may sound complicated, but it really works well for me.
Pete

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here