News:

• April 24, 2024, 04:42:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: +/- 5% Scale Rule for Class I & II  (Read 606 times)

Offline bdt-m

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
+/- 5% Scale Rule for Class I & II
« on: May 08, 2023, 07:25:21 PM »
8.1.2. Class I and Class II
Class I and Class II models shall receive 100 bonus points
if the linear dimensions of the major components of the
model are to the same scale, within a plus or minus five (5)
percent tolerance. Models which appear to comply with this
tolerance upon rudimentary inspection need not be further
checked except in case of dispute. “Major components’’ of
Class I and Class II models are considered to be the
fuselage (excluding surface markings) engine nacelles, air
brakes, the side-view profiles of the vertical stabilizer and
rudder, and the top-view profiles of the wing and horizontal
tail surfaces, and all movable surfaces which are attached to
or form a part of these surfaces (flaps, ailerons, elevators,
etc.). Although complex motions of moveable surfaces
need not be duplicated (such as Fowler flaps), the general
direction of movement must be the same as on the fullscale aircraft being modeled. Unless proven otherwise,
ailerons shall be assumed to move simultaneously in
opposite directions. Although landing gears need not to be
scale, it must emerge from the model in the same location
as the prototype.

Questions:
Is the +/- 5% taken from the actual aircraft dimensions? For example, if a true aircraft had 53' wingspan x +/- 5% = 55.65' to 50.35' or 667.8" to 604.20".

If the model is built to 18/1 scale, the wingspan could range from 37.1" to 33.57"...same method for Fuselage length, stabilizer, rudder, ect. What about fuselage width, does it also have to be +/-5%?

Seems a lot of aircraft don't have fuselage width detailed in scale drawings. Making sure I understand the +/-5% Scale rule.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: +/- 5% Scale Rule for Class I & II
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 08:17:39 AM »
In actual practice the tolerance is applied to the nominal scaled dimension. In your example the nominal scaled wingspan is 35.33 in. The tolerance is + / - 1.77 in. So, the math actually works out the same either way, except for maybe some rounding.

The nominal fuselage width needs to be treated the same way. However, in practice, many Navy Carrier designs, from over the years, have simplified fuselage cross sections to facilitate ease of construction.

As you point out, designers work to do the best they can with the available information.

"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 12:49:40 PM »
In practice the judge just eyeballs the drawing and the model and lets it fly if it looks close to scale.

I suppose that a losing contestant could file a challenge and have a model measured, but I have never seen this happen

One interesting point is the subject of top and side views.  A fuselage could be built as a square-sided box and still comply with this. 

This is one reason why Profile is most popular.  Few people want to mess with full body models any more.
Paul Smith

Offline bdt-m

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 01:29:03 PM »
In practice the judge just eyeballs the drawing and the model and lets it fly if it looks close to scale.

I suppose that a losing contestant could file a challenge and have a model measured, but I have never seen this happen

One interesting point is the subject of top and side views.  A fuselage could be built as a square-sided box and still comply with this. 

This is one reason why Profile is most popular.  Few people want to mess with full body models any more.

Thank you Paul.

In actual practice the tolerance is applied to the nominal scaled dimension. In your example the nominal scaled wingspan is 35.33 in. The tolerance is + / - 1.77 in. So, the math actually works out the same either way, except for maybe some rounding.

The nominal fuselage width needs to be treated the same way. However, in practice, many Navy Carrier designs, from over the years, have simplified fuselage cross sections to facilitate ease of construction.

As you point out, designers work to do the best they can with the available information.

Thanks Bob, makes sense.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here