Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Carrier

Suggested "update" Nostalia rules

<< < (2/6) > >>

Tom Vieira:
I'm all for allowing 2.4 in nostalgia.  i mean, guys run nelsons in nostalgia... hardly a nostalgic engine....

Bob Heywood:
The Nostalgia rules use the 1974 - 1975 AMA rules as the basis for the event. These rules already have provisions for 1, 2, & 3 line control systems. If someone chooses they could use a "down the wire" electronic throttle and have the benefit of throttle control even with slack lines. 2.4 just makes the task easier, maybe. The classic models are really cramped for space so packaging the radio system, while not necessarily difficult, isn't a given either.

To T. J.'s point, everyone at this year's NATS ran Schnuerle ported engines in Nostalgia and gave up the 20 point engine bonus. The Nelson and other highly tuned modern engines just drive home the point harder. A classic single bypass engine is simply outclassed, even with a 20 point handicap.

Once the line is crossed everything is fair game.

Nostalgia really comes down to the plane and the scoring calculation.

I see no harm with 2.4.

Mike Anderson:

--- Quote from: Paul Smith on August 17, 2020, 07:19:51 AM ---Somebody in NCS is trying to promoting a rules change to allow 2.4 radio in the three nostalgia events.

--- End quote ---

I believe that "Somebody" is Dick Perry.  Dick is the originator and the current "administrator" of Nostalgia Carrier, in the same way that Sig was the 'administrator' of Skyray and the Denver club was the 'administrator' of .15.  Pretty sure he is just trying to breathe some life into and expand the flyer base of the event.  It's not like there are National Records that would have to be retired.

Mike Anderson:

--- Quote from: eric david conley on August 17, 2020, 01:39:22 PM ---     I don't think there are any oldy's left with the exception maybe Paul Smith?

--- End quote ---

HEY, I resemble that remark!

Mike Anderson:

--- Quote from: Bob Heywood on August 21, 2020, 08:41:30 AM ---...
To T. J.'s point, everyone at this year's NATS ran Schnuerle ported engines in Nostalgia and gave up the 20 point engine bonus. The Nelson and other highly tuned modern engines just drive home the point harder. A classic single bypass engine is simply outclassed, even with a 20 point handicap.

Once the line is crossed everything is fair game.

Nostalgia really comes down to the plane and the scoring calculation.

I see no harm with 2.4.

--- End quote ---

Not to mention, those engines are practically non-existent. so if the goal is to entice newbies, makes it much more difficult.  The 20  point handicap/bonus amounts to 5 mph on high speed, using the Nostalgia scoring system so it really doesn't level the playing field much.  As for 'left handed props', that takes an even more difficult to find left-handed crankshaft and severely limits ones choice of props.  I don't think that is a needed limitation either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version