News:

• May 12, 2024, 09:44:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sturdi-built Mauler design question  (Read 554 times)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sturdi-built Mauler design question
« on: December 28, 2010, 09:47:08 AM »
A friend has kit plans for the Mauler, and a model built from the kit.  The model is many years old, warped, not presently flyable...

Any knowledge/opinion of how the Mauler flew?  Is it worth building for fun or Nostalgia Carrier?

Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:15:51 AM by Jim Oliver »
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline David Shad

• Commander
Re: Sturdi-built Mauler design question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:50:02 AM »
The Adamisin clan liked it over most else available in their day...I'm sure they will tell all if we
asked. I just happen to have a pristine kit of it too Jim...If you would like parts...plans or
whatever just let me know.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:59:08 AM »
David,
What engine do the plans call for?
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »
I had the Mauler years ago with the Bill Johnson McCoy Redhead .60.  Was a great flying plane.  Was built box stock.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »
The Mauler wants to climb during high speed due to about 3 degrees of positive wing incidence.This is so bad that you have to fly it with nearly full down. This needs to be 0 degrees.
The engine should be mounted uprite not inverted. It is hard to start upsidedown and the glow plug and cylinder head take a beating on landing if built per plans and left inverted.
The landing gear needs to be longer and bent forward to avoid flipping over on landing.
The model was designed for a .35 but most ended up with .60s and were quite nose heavy.
                                                                                                                                            Mike Potter
mike potter

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:58:05 PM »
My first one had a McCoy 60 mounted upright. Next one had a Rossi 65/Johnson metering valve.  The Rossi was mounted inverted to make the throttle linkage easier. Yes, beef up the landing gear (use 5/32") and a bit longer especially if you fly over grass. Didn't notice the incidence situation nor being nose heavy. Best high was 110 and low around 20. Very nice flying plane. If you build from the kit be sure to set the wing tip jig the correct way. Do it backwards and the tips end up washed in.  Build one and enjoy!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here