News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:40:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling Guardian  (Read 1397 times)

Tom Vieira

• Trade Count: (0)
Sterling Guardian
« on: October 10, 2019, 06:40:38 AM »
That's it....  after watching/timing at the NATS, and Ben letting me fly one his birds at our contest, it's go time!

Starting out by making new ply parts, as the die cutting is less than stellar.

Thanks for the kit, Bob!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Sterling Guardian
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:36:54 AM »
I've never assembled a Sterling Guardian, but back in the days of "nostalgia" with low speed flying (not hanging) that was popular model.

I assume you're building yours as a nostalgia I or II, so you would be using 3-line with no slider and maybe an historic engine.

An early step in the process is to obtain and bench test the engine.  There's nothing worse than digging-in deep not having a functional engine.  It's easier to fiddle with it early than late.

Step two is to align the 3-line bellcrank linkage with the engine.  There's also nothing worse than building yourself into a corner vis-a-vis the throttle linkage.   This is one issue that makes Class I & II harder than profile.

I buried that bellcrank in 2008 and haven't seen it since.
Paul Smith

Tom Vieira

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 11:24:02 AM »
engine already acquired!  brand new ST60!

kinda wanted a mccoy 60, but wasn't going to spend that kind of money!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:48:37 AM »
The Sterling Gaurdian kit was a good kit for those of us who don't design planes.  Mined was built box stock with a Bill Johnson McCoy 60 Redhead for power.  Won many contests in my area.  This was before line sliders were made legal and the 60 degree hang limit.  Then I went with the Rossi 60 with Bill Johnson set up.  It was never as consistent as the McCoy.  The last Gaurdian was a Bill Melton modified version.  I never could get it to hang at the 60 degree angle.   I could see why Bill flew low to the ground and never acceding 30 degree.D>K

Keep us posted on the build.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here