News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:44:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: biplane in nats news  (Read 2664 times)

Offline david smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
biplane in nats news
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »
Any body know what the biplane in I think it was the July 4 Nats news?  Silver fuse and yellow wings.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: biplane in nats news
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:47:34 PM »
I think it is a Curtis Hawk, built by Marvin Martinez in the '70s. I also think Ted Kraver may be the current owner.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »
Yes the scale class model  is Ted's It is a F6C-3, or did you mean the profile on the deck, that is a Berliner Joyce OJ-2 which is my design

John Vlna

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:16:30 PM »
Yep I ment the scale class one I think it is a neat looking plane and it doesn't have a giant parachute in the front from having a radial.  I think it would be an interesting plane to try.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
I have one built from Walt Musciano plans, it is a bit bigger than Marvin Martinez's model. Very tricky to fly. I am not sure why biplanes are normally pretty stable.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 06:31:09 PM »
Here is a 3 view

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 07:28:12 PM »
One question would I have to do the support wires on the wing and tail?

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »
I don't think so

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 10:06:13 PM »
     David, I'm getting the impression that you are thinking of building a biplane for carrier? Mike Potter up in Washington State tried to get a carrier class called I think "Golden Age Carrier" started. It was for "profile" and was to be a regional event. The idea was that most if not all of them would be biplanes  (one of which he happened to own at the time). So with about 7 months of lead time I scratch built a F4B4 for the contest. I had to build 2 wings like in 1 2 and each one was different, completely different. One of those wings was mounted in the fuselage (I can do that) and the other one was mounted in the air above the fuselage. All those little struts that were all different from each other and beings I felt the plane had to be able to stand a cartwheel now and then all of this stuff had to be strong and we all know what strong is (weight). Well I ended up with a nice looking biplane that didn't fly all that well and as it turned out Mike (the guy that already had a biplane) and I were the only ones that entered planes in the event.
     The gist of this story is biplanes are twice as hard to build and get aligned to fly right as a mono wing plane and they don't usually fly carrier worth a darn. They do kind of look neat.   Eric
Eric

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »
If you want to go the plans built route a profile carrier Curtis XF7C Seahawk was published in the December 1992 edition of Model Aviation. Plans #727. Worth a look. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:45 AM »
While it is true that Bipes will probably not set records in carrier, (due to  slower high speeds) they are plenty strong enough for the event. I have built several, all except my scale F6C, are stable fliers and are excellent at low speed, fully competitive in that area with with any plane. I have two scale planes under construction right now, a Vought VE-7 and a Douglas DT-1, and a Profile T2D.

If you want a good plan I can send you my OJ-2, It is a very good flier and very strong. Might be easier to start with a profile anyway.

By the way there is a triplane that is legal and yes I have one, doesn't hang well though

P.S. Here is the Tripe

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »
Here is an easy one to start with, you really don't want to get me started on this topic

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
Eric,  of coarse it would be for carrier what else is there? >:D. I have been playing with some carbon fiber stuff so I should be ok on the strength issue.  It will be set up for "modern" carrier so it will have a slider.  It is just an idea for now because there are 2 corsairs that are on the list first for next year.  I was pleased with how my class 2 corsair performed at the Nats and I want to pursue that for the scale classes next year. 
The hawk will be one to try it and see.  I guess kind of a test bed for some different ideas I have wanted to try with a biplane.  It is hard to try some of them on a profile because usually the wing gets stretched to make the 300 sq in. Plus I probably have 6 or so profiles  and don't really need any more.

Too bad the triplane isn't an American plane.  I have only built American and British planes and don't plan on doing any enemy planes.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »
That Mitsubishi bipe looks like it could be easily kit-bashed from a Sig/Blackhawk models "Spad". :!
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 05:25:49 PM »
David,
How about French? They had a few, including a high wing monoplane
john

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
Here is a simple one that I am currently building,

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 06:36:21 PM »
I guess I could do a French plane ;D

That doesn't look to bad and it does look fairly simple.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 08:30:21 PM »
Here is some more info

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 12:30:33 AM »
It is just an idea for now because there are 2 corsairs that are on the list first for next year.  I was pleased with how my class 2 corsair performed at the Nats and I want to pursue that for the scale classes next year. 

David, did you receive the J. R. Corsair bits? Hope everything arrived in good condition.

I'd like to see more biplanes from that era - very colorful.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 01:12:04 AM »
Yes I did thanks.  I havent decided between the jroberts or the sterling corsair because I am wanting one a little smaller than my class 2 to use in class 1.  I am thinking that a biplane for carrier will probably be a class 2 that way I should have plenty of powr to pull around the extra wing.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here