News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:32:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Something strange comes my way  (Read 550 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Something strange comes my way
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:37:26 PM »
I have been incredibly busy lately and haven’t had much time for models, but I did get out for a little flying and had a rather interesting thing happen. I was flying one of my old glow converted to electric 15 carrier plane. The plane itself is a profile version of the original MO-1 published in AAM that started the MO craze. It has a very small wing, about 140 sq in I think.

I flew it with a TF 9x6 wood glow prop and was getting very good slow times for such a small plane. When it was glow it always flew with a standard rotation motor so it is trimmed pretty well for that mode. And, it has always been a surprisingly good slow flyer for such a small wing.  The TF 9x6 is a stand rotation prop. I then switched to an APC 9x6 E pusher. The TF couldn’t quite hit 70MPH, but the APC did. However the reverse pitch prop would not let me hang the plane. Nothing was changed except prop rotation. I realize the trim should be a bit different but not so dramatic. I didn’t have a normal rotation APC so I couldn’t compare, maybe next time.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Something strange comes my way
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »
When you say it wouldn't let you hang, could you elaborate? Would it not stall so you could enter a hang, or would it fall out of a hang, or what exactly?

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:16:19 PM »
Bill,

It didn't want to stall and was generally unstable. I had a strong and consistant motor run/control and the balance was the same.
John

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
I have a couple of thoughts, based on an assortment of personal experiences. You might be facing two different phenomena at once, and neither one may have to do with reverse rotation. One may be the different gyroscopic affects of using a heavier plastic prop vs. a lighter wooden prop. This could give you some stability issues. It might also be that the E prop is so much more efficient (you did say it was faster) that the airplane just won't stop flying. I believe on electrics that the throttle doesn't go all the way down to zero, so maybe minimum rpm is still too much with this prop. Depending on your level of curiosity, you could try wood Zinger 9x6 props in both rotations, heavy APC 9x6 nitro props in both directions, and of course the normal rotation 9x6E prop. Then, by noting how the different props responded, possibly reach a more definitive conclusion. Or, if that's too much work, you could try a Master Airscrew 9x6 electric prop. It should be faster than the TF wood nitro prop since it's designed for electric, but the blade is fairly narrow like the TF so the low speed handling may be similar.

Or I could be wrong... H^^

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »
Bill
The electric prop probably is more efficient, I didn’t have a normal rotation prop with me to compare. Weight shouldn’t be that much difference, but I’ll check it.

Your belief on electric throttle range is wrong. Properly set up you have full and reasonably linear control from zero to max rpm. I use an all electric system, no mechanical driving of the throttle control on board the plane as some people do. In fact I don’t even need line tension to maintain throttle.

Very definitely some additional prop testing is called for. This is a small plane and now I am wondering if prop weight could be the cause. To the scales!!
John

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here