Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Carrier

Sig Skyray 35 Carrier Airplane Info

(1/5) > >>

John Paris:
Everyone,
I would like to set up a Skyray 35 for the carrier event they run at the Sig contest and would appreciate some pics of the modifications that you guys are doing to set the airplanes up.  Thanks in advance for anything that you may be able to provide.
John

eric conley:
1. Stock Skyray 35 kits only. The only modifications allowed are as follows.
     a. Two wheel landing gear.
     b. Standard three line control system (elevator and throtle).
     c. Repositioning the leadouts on the wing tip other than shown
         on the plans (no line-sliders allowed).
     d. Addition of arresting hook (same as profile rules).
     e. With exception of the elevator, no moveable in flight control
         surfaces allowed.
     f. Slight modifications such as balsa cheek cowls and triangle stock
         under the stab for strengthening are allowed.
2. Engine:0.409 maximimum cubic inch displacement (mufflers opotional).
3.Fuel tank: suction only ( no preasurized systems allowed).
4.Sig 10% fuel only (supplied at contest).
5. The scoring of the event shall be as per the AMA rule book for profile
    carrier with the following exceptions.
     a. No scale bonus points; however, the model is to look like a Sig
         Skyray 35.
     b. the maximum high speed score will be limited to 75 mph.

Mike Gretz:
Hi John,

Eric has provided the rules that we use at the contest.  I'd recommend that you contact Art Johnson or Bill Calkins for tips.
Art  RCBLIMPPILOT@aol.com
Bill  clflyer@mchsi.com

See you in June.
Mike

John Paris:
Mike,
I was hoping that they would chime in here so we can share the knowledge, but I may need to contact one of them directly.  I think Melvin is on the board as well so I will give it a little longer.  Will have the full crew with me this time around so there will be plenty to do.  Looking forward to it.

Eric,
Thanks for the rules.  I still have one of the flyers from a previous event, so was up to speed on the dos and don'ts.  What I am looking for is tips on internal vs. external controls and if I should try a slider or not (for later use in other possible events).  Also things like tanks and required fuel loads would be helpful.  This will be my first attempt at a carrier style ship and by-passing the joys of discovery will help with the limited preparation time.

John

eric conley:
I know what you mean John about helpful hints that will help you field a plane thats going to fly well. I have never flown Skyray but have been to several meets where it was flown and I was not real impressed with the flying that I saw. It was probably the fliers and the airplane that made it look like a struggle. I have a kit for the Skyray 35 and am planning on building one just to see what I can do with it as far as carrier flying is concerned. Most of the ones that I have seen fly had the bellcranks on top or on the bottom of the wing and depending top or bottom they flew outboard wing high or low. They also tended to be nose heavy which made them almost imposible to fly in low speed. The plane has a long nose and a short after body(were they thinking Fox 35?) so I think a person that wants to fly it in carrier would have to add some weight back by the tail. Its to bad you cant mount the fuel tank in the wing behind the engine instead of having to add more weight in the tail area. The guys that mount the bellcrank on top or bottom of the wing usually put an adjustable line guide out at the tip of the wing(or sometime in 2 bays from the wing tip) so they can adjust the line rake. I,m going to put my bellcrank in the wing as the slot for the lines is pretty large and can be made a little larger out by the wing tip to allow the lines to be raked back quite a bit. Also I plane on putting a wedge under the engine to get 8 to 11 degrees of out thrust. Will build my own fuel tank to hold 5 ounces and try to build it so I can move the engine back maybe 1/2''. I plan on using a Thunder Tiger Pro 36 with a APC 9/6 and between the out thrust and the line rake within the wing I think it will be easy to get a easy hang for slow speed and still get 75 mph or very close to it. I think we need to stick as close as we can to the stock Skyray so people will have a easy plane to try carrier with. Every Skyray that I have seen used it own set of changes to get it to perform a little better and only one or two were balanced worth a darn so they all seemed to struggle. If we are lucky maybe someone will jump in here and give us a few magic bullets.eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version