News:

• May 14, 2024, 05:00:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3-Line Handle Crazies  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Darrel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
3-Line Handle Crazies
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
I set up lines this morning for Walters Kingfisher.(3 hours)  I already had a brodak 3-line handle I purchased approx 10 years ago.  Decided to purchase a separate handle from Brodaks just for the Kingfisher.  Before putting the lines away, decided to check the lines and linkage all hooked up.  Way off!!!!!   I certainly make mistakes, but this was a biggie.  It took two extra line clips to get the throttle to work at all.  Took everything back inside and hooked leadouts directly to the handle. (thought I did that when I installed leadouts).  Measurements showed that the throttle leadout was short by 1 5/16 - 1 3/8 inch. Anyway, I fussed and fussed and was just getting ready to replace the center leadout when I thought I would check the old Brodak handle against the new Brodak handle I got about a week ago and I am sure you guessed it.  The difference was very close the shortage I had on the new handle.  Maybe most carrier guys knew this, but I had no idea that two brodak handles are not interchangeable.  Any one else experience this same issue  or is this old news?  I was working on an assumption that they would be the same.

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: 3-Line Handle Crazies
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:13:41 PM »
Darrel, I have run into that a couple of times. I dont know why that happens. I mentioned it to John some time back and he said send the handle back to get checked and repaired. I usually use a handle for each new airplane, although I have accumulated a number of handles because airplanes available overlap.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
Yep! What you are experiencing is pretty normal. Sure doesn't incourage new folks to fly three line does it? I would recomend setting up everything for one handle. You could have a handle for every airplane but that gets expensive and lord help you if you get the handles mixed up.  Mike
mike potter

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
Poor QC.  :(
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »
You could also put a new throttle lead on the new handle to match the old handle. That would be an easy enough solution. I have 4 handles of various vintages that are all interchangeable, but even my newest one is probably 10 years old. Perhaps this is a recent problem.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
You could also put a new throttle lead on the new handle to match the old handle. That would be an easy enough solution. I have 4 handles of various vintages that are all interchangeable, but even my newest one is probably 10 years old. Perhaps this is a recent problem.
I was going to ask how easy that was with Brodak handles.

It's a pity that it's not taken care of at the factory, but if you can adjust it yourself, at least that's something.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:22:40 PM »
It's just cable and crimp sleeves.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »
I'd just cut a set of lines per airplane and stick to one handle. No big deal. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »
Another problem that some might have is that you can not use mix the Robers 3-line system with the Brodak 3-line system.  In other words, the Brodak handle does not work with the Roberts bellcranks.  Neither does the Roberts handle work with the Brodak belcranks.  Yes they work, but the two separate systems are not matched as to their movements and less than satisfactory ruesult will be experienced.

Keith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »
That is the reason of having control arms on the plane.  they can be adjusted to make up for the difference of the bellcrank/handle set ups.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
Whether it's a J.Roberts or a Brodak handle, step #1 is to replace the gas pedal leadout with a new EQUAL LENGTH (at high speed) leadout.  Then airplane, lines, and handle are ALL to zero-zero-zero specs.  Everything is interchangeable.

Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »
Whether it's a J.Roberts or a Brodak handle, step #1 is to replace the gas pedal leadout with a new EQUAL LENGTH (at high speed) leadout.  Then airplane, lines, and handle are ALL to zero-zero-zero specs.  Everything is interchangeable.

This sure makes allot of sense to me... Only reason I can think not to have everything even is if the airplane has leadouts all 3 line clips would end up in the same location and the chance of a hangup would be greatly increased.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 04:25:37 AM »
This isn't Stunt. You can separate the leadouts enough to clear each other.  I think the standard thinking is to put the UP line aft, so you get some extra yaw when you hang on the UP & throttle lines and let the down line so slack.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:16:23 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »
As long as the TOTAL length of each line+leadout(s) combination is the same there should be no problem.

Hook the handle to the airplane without the lines and make sure the leadout and handle wire lengths are the same.  Just don't mix the two types of handles, I've gotten bit by that.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »
Just set up the planes for one handle and one handle only.  Of course if you are well off,  you can have a set of lines and handle for each plane. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here