News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:05:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale bonus points in profile.  (Read 1470 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
Scale bonus points in profile.
« on: August 04, 2017, 11:18:09 AM »
I'm starting to plan a profile carrier build. How close must the model match the 3 view to get bonus points. Are models like Eric's Seafire and Corsair eligible?

Thank you,
Jim

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
Re: Scale bonus points in profile.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
     Heck yes my planes are eligible (prayer included). First you have to read the rules, 8.1.3 and 8.1.4 for profile single engine planes. Then it is best to go to several contests, the more the better and get an idea of what the planes entered look like. While your doing these things keep in mind that in Profile scale you get 10 points for scale "appearance" points verses 100 points in Scale class. Now the way I look at 8.1.3 I make sure that from a top view the wings are shaped the way the real planes wings are shaped, and the stabilizer/elevator are shaped the same way. "Area" wise I'm building those two items to compete in the profile carrier event where you need HS, LS, and the ability to take off and land on the deck. Now for the side view of the fuselage I do much the same, tail and rudder look like the real plane, cabin located at the rite place along the length of the fuselage, and the nose is configured to resemble the real plane. The profile silhouette of the fuselage is skinnied (top to bottom) down somewhat while keeping the overall shape similar to the real plane. 8.1.4 is very important and I try very hard to make the colors and decals very similar to the real plane (very important). Or you can build a MO-1 with a 40+inch wing span.
Eric

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 02:03:29 PM »
Most, if not all, of the Profile Carrier models are not scale in the strict sense. The wings have more area and the fuselages are thinned down. Although not a Carrier plane, the Goldberg Shoestring is a good example for reference. None of the dimensions are true to scale but the plane looks like Shoestring. All of the Profiles entered at this year's NATS earned the 10 point Scale Bonus. The link will take you to the NATS News that covered Profile Day. Several of the planes are shown.

When the planes were judged at Processing we looked at the model and a 3-view for comparison. It's a subjective evaluation but if we could "see" the essential form of the full sized plane in the model, the 10 points were awarded.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/nats/files/2017/07/071917.pdf
"Clockwise Forever..."

Jim Roselle

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
Don't forget the dehidral.  Must match the 3 view.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 11:38:13 AM »
Don't forget the dehidral.  Must match the 3 view.

From the Profile rule relative to "Dihedral".  "Neither scale dihedral nor scale landing gear location is required".

Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »
Thanks Wayne for the info as I just went and looked it up.   Last sentence of rule 8.1.3.1  Profile Class.   My bad.   Still learning something every day and still breaking my record. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here