News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:57:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pics of my Fun Carrier Entry  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Pics of my Fun Carrier Entry
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »
Check it out. Took last year's Sportsman Speed Entry and converted it to Fun Carrier. R/C controlled throttle and tail hook. All comments welcomed......PhillySkip

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
Re: Pics of my Fun Carrier Entry
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 12:06:10 PM »
It is sure pretty but I bet you will rip the landing gear out. They take quite a beating and need to be pretty robust.

Mike Potter
mike potter

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »
     It looks like the tail hook may get caught on the tail wheel when you try to lower it. Centrifugal force from going around the circle will push it towards the tail wheel and gear?
Eric

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
The tail hook works fine on the bench.Although in the photo the rubber band is in the wrong position.It goes under the lower dowl and pulls the hook down. Regarding the gear,I might go to  an old fashioned wire gear like on a Ringmaster but bungie mounted to absorb shock!

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:30:53 AM »
That might be a better Idea for the landing gear.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
In answer to the question about fuel, there are no fuel restrictions.

Rule Book Carrier allows any fuel as long as you don't use a tuned pipe.  With a tuned pipe, it's 10% nitro. 

Since the event rules only allow stock factory mufflers, modified stock mufflers, or no mufflers, tuned pipes won't be an issue.
Paul Smith

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:33:36 PM »
Paul I got some great flying in today with my Fun Carrier plane. Practiced low speed flying,simulated carrier landings and I have to tell you that Magnum 25 without the muffler was ripping around that circle at speeds that really surprised me. I didn't get a stop watch on the high or low speed flight,but will......Skip

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »
Sounds like you are having fun. Just noticed your differential flaps are operational?  Some time down the line after you are satisfied with your airplane you might try  not using your differential flap. Might be even easier to fly the carrier event.

Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 07:22:56 PM »
The flaps are "stunt flaps" they go both ways. This plane was scratch built using what was left of one of my R/C Pylon Races after a midair collision. I got the general shape of the fuse and tail from some Brodak Shoestring plans I had around. It was entirely built from scrap wood and materials I had sitting around. I used it for sport flying with a Fox 35. When I heard about the Sportsman Speed thing at Brodaks last year I used it for that. Today I was trying to learn how to "hang it" for the low speed portion. I've got a long way to go on that!

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 04:46:27 AM »
Might be tough to hang with the "stunt flaps" working. The "hang" is a stall. Tough to do with those flaps.  Back when we used flaps to increase lift at slow speed like real airplanes there was no hang. When rules were changed for emphasis on slow speed flaps had to go. Just saying.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 01:26:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice Wayne,Having never built or flown a carrier ship this is all new to me. I did notice that the flaps seemed to be keeping me from "stalling" the plane.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 05:07:16 AM »
No problem, we need every new Carrier flyer we can get.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 07:53:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice Wayne,Having never built or flown a carrier ship this is all new to me. I did notice that the flaps seemed to be keeping me from "stalling" the plane.

I built a Super Clown with stunt flaps for Carrier.  I ended up disconnecting them. 
As Wayne says, they help slow flight but work against hanging. 
That being said, you might be able to go 15 MPH low speed in actual flight without resorting to hanging.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here