News:

• May 28, 2024, 12:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: quick Brodak rundown  (Read 2814 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
quick Brodak rundown
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »
Here is a quick run down of the Brodak carrier event. The weather was good, although the wind was gusty on the first day, calming the next. We had 36 entries; a few scratched dropping the total flying to 27. I’ve attached the score sheets so you can see who won. One caution, my 15 score was not taken. I have never felt that I should include my scores when running a event, so I didn’t include the 15 score as official. Also when comparing to other 15 or sportsman events you should be aware that we give a 10 pt bonus if a Brodak kit is used. All the winners in 15 received this bonus, as did the 1st and 3rd in sportsman. 2nd place sportsman was a Joe Just Wildcat. Sorry Joe no bonus for your kit.

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: quick Brodak rundown
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:09 PM »
The biplane  Sarah was flying do you know what it was she told me but i forgot?
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:42:35 PM »
Sarah didn't fly a biplane in carrier, I did see it but I don't know what it was.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 05:07:34 AM »
Here is a quick run down of the Brodak carrier event. The weather was good, although the wind was gusty on the first day, calming the next. We had 36 entries; a few scratched dropping the total flying to 27. I’ve attached the score sheets so you can see who won. One caution, my 15 score was not taken. I have never felt that I should include my scores when running a event, so I didn’t include the 15 score as official. Also when comparing to other 15 or sportsman events you should be aware that we give a 10 pt bonus if a Brodak kit is used. All the winners in 15 received this bonus, as did the 1st and 3rd in sportsman. 2nd place sportsman was a Joe Just Wildcat. Sorry Joe no bonus for your kit.
John, thanks for the follow up and for running the event. I had a good time.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:11:35 AM »
John, thanks for the follow up and for running the event. I had a good time.
Wayne

David Smith told me but I forgot also. It was some sort of Navy air ambulance. Its powered by a Nelson of all things. He says its been flown once and was a handful. Work in progress I guess. I took a few pictures and will post them when I can.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »
Had a great time even though I wussed out and didn't fly, got my fingers in a prop on Sunday before the contest and it really messed with my head.

Let Joe Gilbert fly my FJ-4-15 as my engine runs better than the one on his and was real proud when he pulled off a first place. From the inquiries and comments after his flights I think we have proven the airplane can be competitive. Would really liked to have flown the new FJ-4-36 but I wasn't mentally together and Joe had already commeted to fly the big original FJ-4. I'm pretty sure if he had flown the new 36 and got a landing he could have easily won Sportsman.

Thanks John and crew for all your hard work..

PS: John Brodak told me he is going to have the FJ-4-15 kit out by Christmas.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:44 AM »
Bob,
Glad to hear the kit is coming out, that plane is one I would like to build, it flies great!
John

Joe Just

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »
John, Thanks for the results.  While I couldn't come this year I was there every day wishing it were so.  I am so pleased that Chris did so well with a "Wildcat"
Joe

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »
The biplane  Sarah was flying do you know what it was she told me but i forgot?
The plane is a Curtiss F7C Seahawk and it just painted like an air ambulance. I don't believe that the Seahawk was actually used as an air ambulance. I'm at work and the only pics I have are from when I painted it but I will take some when I get home.

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »
Thanks david i forbot what you told me can i get the plans form ama if so do you know reference # THANKS AGAIN BRAD
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »
I believe you can but I think I have an extra set that I can send you. Just send me a pm with your address and I will send them to you.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »
See Curtiss F7C-1, page 403 in U S Navy Aircraft since 1911 by Swanborough and Bowers. It had a hook.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »
Curtis Seahawk for profile carrier, AMA Plan 727, December 1992. On my "Gonna build someday" list.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »
Designed by two of out local carrier guys, John Hall and Bill Darkow. Bill is currently flying his original airplane in NW Sport 40 carrier. By the way we had 11 entries in NWS 40 last month at the Northwest Regionals!  Mike Potter
mike potter

Offline Chris Keller

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
John,
Thanks to and yours for the warm welcome into carrier this past week. I had a ball!

Joe, not too bad for a plane that was in two pieces a month ago! LL~ Goes to show what a forgiving design the wildcat is. I think with a bit of experimenting with props I can coax a few more mph out of it

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
Some Pictures of Chris's entry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 06:40:26 AM »
Just nit picking here, but did he get the 10 bonus points for scale??  I see no dehidral in the wing. LL~ LL~ LL~  Thanks for being the event director for the Brodak contest and I will try my best to make it one year.  Miss seeing you guys as I don't attend the NATS anymore.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 08:30:06 AM »
Don't know if this is a serious query or not - but no dihedral is required in Profile class.   y1
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Joe Just

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
Just nit picking here, but did he get the 10 bonus points for scale??  I see no dehidral in the wing.

Maybe Doc really means that there does not appear to be any taper to the wing.  Doc, there is a definate taper to the trailing edge, but the taper on the leading edge is very small. As mike reminds us, there is not diehedral requirement in profile Carrier.
Joe

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »
right, profile events do not require dihedral . Plane outlines do not need to follow the tighter constraints of the scale classes. The rule is;
3.3. Profile Class — All aircraft shall be of the profile fuselage type. Engine(s) must not be cowled in. Minimum wing area shall be 300 square inches. Models shall have a fixed landing gear consisting of at least a two-wheel main gear with at least four (4) inches separating the wheels. If a clear canopy is not used, the cockpit or canopy area must be defined with a contrasting color or color outline. It is encouraged that the plane outlines follow some type of Navy aircraft.
 and

8.1.3.1. Profile Class models shall receive 10 bonus points if the outlines of the major components of the model closely resemble (by official’s visual judgment) the actual aircraft as shown in the three-view drawing. (Judges Guide: The model should be identifiable with the full-scale aircraft shown in the three-view.) The “major components” of Profile Class models are considered to be the side-view profiles of the fuselage, engine nacelles, and vertical tail surfaces, and the top-view profile of the wing and horizontal tail surfaces. Movable surfaces need not have scale hinge lines or dimensions as long as the outlines of the major components are preserved. Neither scale dihedral nor scale landing gear location is required.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Thanks John, it's been a while. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here