News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:37:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some help and advice  (Read 1218 times)

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Some help and advice
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:10:12 PM »
A recent bad fall has left me with the unhappy choice of not sending 3 Carrier planes to Brodak's.  As I had planned to do, I wished to pre-send the planes via FedX and take the hit financially.  I am now thinking of building two or more planes for the 2017 Brodak contest and build them as "take-apart" construction. This should make it a bit cheaper.  My help is as follows.  Does anyone have drawings for take apart models. Or any advice?
Thanks for any constructive help.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Some help and advice
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
Joe
Your best bet is to look at RC plans. I have CL planes built with removable wings like RC. Mount the BC in the fuse.
John

Offline bfrog

• Commander
Re: Some help and advice
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:03:45 PM »
Joe,
All of my carrier planes have been built with removable wing tips to make them easier to ship. I typically go about it as follows.

I make the wings as normal except I put in double ribs at the break point with a 1/16" gap between the ribs. Then I add a 1/4" brass tube on the underside of the top spar that extends one or two ribs inboard and outboard of the double ribs. After the wing is complete I carefully saw the leading and trailing edges, the spars and the brass tubes apart between the double ribs. Clean up the edges on the wood parts and also the brass tube. Insert a carbon fiber rod into the brass tube and reassemble the wing. Glue the outboard portion the CF rod into the brass tube. When assembled, drill a hole through the spar and the brass tube/CF rod for a 4-40 screw. Attach a blind nut on the bottom of the brass tube, inside the wing, for the screw.  I usually use a socket head screw and make a counterbore in the top spar so the head is sunk into the spar when tight.

I also add a tab and slot feature at the rear of the wing to keep everything aligned properly. After assembly I use clear tape to cover the gaps on the leading and trailing edges of the wing. Easily removable for disassembly.

The placement of the break in the main wing is about the width of the elevator. The benefit of all this is that you can now fit the airplane into a box size that does not limit out because it is oversized for most shipping methods. Assembly is quick and easy.
Bob Frogner

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here