News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:02:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New twist on the MO-1  (Read 1554 times)

Offline david smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
New twist on the MO-1
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »
Maybe we can call it the Jet-1

Offline david smith

• Commander
Re: New twist on the MO-1
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 02:13:51 PM »
So before anyone gets too upset I am just using the mo-1 as a test bed for the ducted fan. It just happened to be the closest plane that there wasn't anything wrong with to my work bench.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 02:30:46 PM »
People have stretched the "scale" of Profile Carrier farther and still taken the 10 bonus points.  This is not a new high water mark.
Paul Smith

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »
     Please tell us how it went, please.

Eric

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 08:39:40 PM »

Please tell us how it went, please.

I will. I still have a bit of work to do before I test it but I am hoping maybe next week some time. It just depends on how much my work schedule changes between now and then. I.am hoping that the fan is at least close to the rated thrust. If so there might be a little bit of hope for it. My ultimate goal is a built up F-14 with th swing wings or maybe an A-6 Intruder. Those would have two 70mm fans and around 9 lbs of thrust. The biggest hurdle I see is getting off of the deck. I think they would fly fine but I am not sure how much thrust it will take to get off the deck. We shall see.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
You need to go to the Barton site and read up on the ducted fan Mig that has/is being developed over there.  He has also had a ducted fan for their carrier event. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 07:36:04 AM »
Remember, without prop blast over the tail surfaces, you won't have much control at low speed. n1

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »
Remember, without prop blast over the tail surfaces, you won't have much control at low speed. n1

I have thought quite a bit about that and I think for more rearward exhaust outlets you would have to have some form of thrust vectoring. For something like the A-6 or maybe a Vampire where the exhaust comes out in front of the horizontal stab I'm hoping that will be enough flow.

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 08:53:56 PM »
So I'm going to put this in the list of tried it but realized just not going to be worth the effort and money to do. It would fly but not well. I think a twin would be better but it still wouldn't be enough. Realistically I think with some work you could maybe get to skyray speed but low would be more like a cross between nostalgia and current. There are some fans that I found that might be more competitive but they start around $1500. A bit high for me...... So I guess it is back to the prop planes. The mo 1 can now test my new electric motor that I got for the new project on the board.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here