News:

• May 21, 2024, 01:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New projects  (Read 4290 times)

Offline david smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
New projects
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »
I thought I would share some of my projects for this year.  First is a Brodak Tigercat that is pretty much stock except for a couple of carbon rods in the wing and a slider.  It has a couple of Novarossi's for power so hopfully it will be pretty quick.  

Offline david smith

• Commander
Re: New projects
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »
Second is a Seafire made out of a Great Planes Spitfire.  This one I have actually had for a while but I have updated some things.  I got a new engine an OS 61 RF with a pump.  And after I saw Bill's new slider I figured I would try something like it.

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
The slider

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »
 Cool, I like the Tigercat. Thanks for the pics! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
Looking good Dave!!  Hopefully i will be there when you fire them up!!   #^
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:31:44 AM »
Dave,

I have both the GP Spitfire and P-51. The p-51 was converted to carrier, and the spitfire to fun scale. The thing to watch out for is that they get nose heavy with a big glow engine up front.  I use a ST.46 in the carrier p-51 and had to put in a ton of tail weight. For the Spit I used a ST 34 which is a lot lighter and easier to trim.

Very nice Tigercat, makes me want to build one.

john

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
Hi David,

Did I meet you at Huntersville?

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »
John

I found out the balance issue  real quick.  This plane was actually put together about 3 years ago with a Rossi 40 and with that it was super nose heavy. I cut a hole in the back and started throwing the lead to it, I can't remember how much I had in it but it was quite a bit.  I decided to make it a class 2 after I crashed my guardian at Sig in 09 and put my OS 61 fx on it.  The first flight it blew the stab and elevator off of it so I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and I built the stab and rudder out of 1/8 ply and then it only needed .75 oz of tail weight. I still never could get a very good low out of it but I have learned some more about bellcrank placement and slider location so I decided to update it and see what it does.

Bill

You may have met me in huntersville.  I run carrier in the fall.  This last Oct I had a white guardian profile and a yellow mo 1. I also flew a black white green and blue Sig ultimate in stunt.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:09:35 AM by david smith »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »
 I've thought MANY times about building a Brodak Tigercat for a small sport/stunt model. In your photos here it looks like it's actually got a pretty thick wing. Built stock out of the box, is the bellcrank mounted inside or outside the wing?

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 08:07:01 AM »
Dave, you have been a busy young man.  I see you were smart in putting the Tigercat controls on the exterior.  I followed the Brodak plans with Fox .15's for power.  Also had the mufflers on them.  Had reasonable high speed.  But, had to remove the mufflers to get low speed.  Last flight JJ flew it and proceeded to destroy the lines doing touch and goes.  May build another one and try to make it lighter.  How has yours come out weight wise?  Hopefully I can get more carrier flying done this year.  Also hope to see you too.  Tell your Mother the old DOC says hi. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »
The wing is thicker than I thought it would be.  When I build another one I will make the wing thinner and probably a thinner fuse.  I haven't weighed everything together yet but I weighed all the parts before I glued it all together and I think it was just under 3 lbs a little heavier than usual for me but it will still be lighter than my profile guardian. Which before the last contest it weighed in at 3 1/2 lbs. The biggest issue I can see now is going to be balence. As it sits it balances right on the very front of the leading edge. And there aren't any tanks on it yet. I think I will go ahead and make the tail out of 1/8 ply to help it out.

The plans show the bellcrank in the wing.  I put it outside for better access and to be able to put a slider closer to the fuse to get more yaw out.

This I think is the end of the white guardian. The inboard wing has been broke off 3 times and the outboard has been broke off once and the tail section has bee broke twice so I think its time to retire it.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »
Hi David,

I thought so.  I met you at one of the meets after all the Carrier flying was over and you were there "cleaning up".

Hope to see you in the Spring, and quite possibly I WILL have a Carrier plane! (I now have all the equipment, Robert's 3 line, old stuff!  and a Dumas Crusader)

Who was flying the 3 line autogyro in October,  do you know?

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »
The autogyro was me.  Dan Banjock was going to try to do loops around me with his bi slob but it was just too windy. I'm not planning on being there in the spring but Everett Shoemaker will be running carrier and right now I think there will be a couple others flying as well.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »
The autogyro was me.  Dan Banjock was going to try to do loops around me with his bi slob but it was just too windy. I'm not planning on being there in the spring but Everett Shoemaker will be running carrier and right now I think there will be a couple others flying as well.

OK, David.  I was up there with Dan, too.  I had the big knee brace on.  I have been going to Huntersville since the site opened basically.  I'm just far enough away (100 hard miles of driving) to not make frequent visits. ;D

I have know Dan for many years now, and it is true:  If anyone is going to have fun, it's Danny!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:30:02 PM »

This I think is the end of the white guardian. The inboard wing has been broke off 3 times and the outboard has been broke off once and the tail section has bee broke twice so I think its time to retire it.

Give it to Garf, he can build another Fronkensteen! :##

Wayne Willey

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »
I need some help.  I need a drawing or just an explanation will work of where to run the tubing for a chicken hopper tank.  I am kind of stuck on the tigercat until I get tanks made.  Thanks for the help.

David

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »
Dave,
Here is Bill Calkin's design
John V
P.S. It works very well

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 12:11:58 AM »
Thanks John that helps a bunch.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 07:48:52 AM »
We used to make chicken hoppers that fit on the same side of the fuselage.  Cut a chunk out of the big Perfect wedge tank and cut the back (side that would go against the fuselage) off a small Perfect wedge tank.  Removed the fuel feed from the big one and used the feed from the small one that is "piggy backed" onto the large one.   Bill's tank probably gives more fuel capacity. ???

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
The reason for putting the main tank on the inboard side is because there isn't room for it between the engine and the leading edge on many designs.  Looks like on the T-Cat, there is almost no room at all unless the tank were mounted very low, beneath the wing.  A side benefit is that if you use flexible tubing to join the tanks, you can shim the hopper tank in and out to fine tune the high speed mixture.  This works better if the hopper tank is kept small.

The drawing of Bill Calkins' tank design shows the vent to the main tank going to the upper/inboard corner.  It is important that that tank vent not be too low or the engine can actually starve before you get off the deck. 
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »
 Any progress on the Tigercat?

This post finally put me over the edge by getting a good look at the design. I had considered the Tigercat kit countless times. My kit arrived from Sam's Stuff by FedEx yesterday. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »
I haven't had much time to work on any airplane stuff lately.  But I have the tanks started and really all that is left is the hook and slider release then I can start the paint process.  I'm hoping that work will slow down next week so I can get back to building.

David

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 08:51:58 PM »
 I just posted this here in the Open Forum...

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20864.0

Wayne Willey

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
Finally I have an update.  It is painted.  Hopefully I can get it together and test it on Sunday.  I will post another pic of it assembled tomorrow morning.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
 Aaaaah! Fire Bomber scheme!!!??? That's what I was thinking of doing with mine.  ;D HB~> ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 10:56:09 PM »
Not a fire bomber, I'm going off of a suggestion Mike Anderson gave me for a Guardian there were some Hellcats that were painted orange. Mine is probably a little brighter but its orange so it will work.

The other pictures are of a Sea Wolf  that I decided to put back together and update for my brother to fly this year.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »
 Okay, I'll let it slide this time David. :## ;D

I think the orange Hellcats were some kind of drones.

Wayne Willey

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
Finally it is done enough to test. Actually I need to run the engines first.  All it needs is decals.  Final weight is high at 3 lb 13.5 oz. 

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
 WHOAH, that's heavy. I know it's a twin but where did all the other weight come from?

Wayne Willey

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 11:23:19 PM »
It weighed 19oz before paint and I gained 8.5 oz with the finish and there are parts that are suppose to be balsa and I made them out of ply to help with the balance.  These engines are almost twice as heavy as normal 15s plus bigger tanks.  I was worried after paint just by holding it that it was going to be too heavy but it is under 4 lbs so I'm happy.  One other possibility is that I'm not the best builder so there are probably things in the build that could be done to help.

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 11:26:48 PM »
I just did some figuring and there is 34 oz in hardware on it.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 11:34:58 PM »
 Holy cow.

Whenever I get going on mine I'll be doing it as a sport/stunt model with a pair of LA.15's and tongue mufflers. No throttles or other extra gizmos. It will be interesting to see how the weight comes out.

Wayne Willey

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »
I see you borrowed the red nose wheel from Bob's Fury. Man, that thing gets around!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:17 PM »
Pete, if you like I could send you some red wheels of your very own...

Bill

Offline Alex Givan

• Ensign
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
  DUDE!!!!!  That is a great looking Tiger Cat, the Orange looks really good. That's a mean looking setup from nose to tail.

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 12:19:49 AM »
Well lines are made and engines have been run. I think I'm ready to test. I need to get at least a couple of flights before Polk City.  I think it will be able to get off the deck these engines sound sweet and seem to pull it pretty good. I did have to cut about a one inch square hole in the top of the outboard wing to fix some throttle linkage problems but everything seems to be working good now.  I will try to get some pics in flight and maybe even a video of it. Thursday is looking like some good test weather.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 10:48:08 AM »
Speaking of Polk City - if anyone may be interested there is a flyer in the "Events" section:
(Polk City is just outside of Des Moines, for the out-of-towners who may be wondering)

Announcement:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20990.0

Flyer:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20990.0;attach=79650

Note that the dates (May 7-8) at the top of the flyer are correct - the daily event schedule still
shows the May 1st and May 2nd dates from last year's flyer (just consider it a "typo").

We will have CL1-2 combined (% of record)
                     .15 profile
                     NCS Sport (% of record combined)
                             This is basically Sportsman, Skyray and Nostalgia combined - % of
                             "record" (last year's best top-20 score for the event)
     You may enter both a Class 1 and a Class 2 in 1-2 combined
     You may enter any combination of 'other' in NCS Sport that you have time to get a flight with -

We have Carrier scheduled for Saturday the 7th, but in the past we have put the events off until Sunday (by unanimous vote of the entrants) due crappy weather on Saturday and an improved outlook for Sunday.   In other words, we would welcome your attendance and will do whatever the flyers wish to do to ensure that we get in a lot of flights.  

Oh, yeah, we will also judge and mail in flights for Joe's Postal contest if anyone has a desire to start getting flights in for that.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here