News:

• May 24, 2024, 12:47:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nelson 36  (Read 837 times)

david smith

• Trade Count: (0)
Nelson 36
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:57:28 AM »
I am looking for a nelson 36 or the right 40 case to convert.  It is for my tigercat project for next year.  I have been checking ebay but havent had any luck yet. Or if any body knows if the Jett engines 35 would be comparable. 

Thanks
David

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Nelson 36
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »
I have a Nelson 36 and might be willing to part with it.

I have a question for you and others regarding Nostalgia Carrier vis-a-vis current engine limitations.

In the olden days, when power was unlimited, there were Tigercats with two 35's (.70 cubic inches), two 60's (1.2) and two .65's (1.3 cubic inches). 

So if you build a Nostalia Carrier plane today with over .65 cubic inches of engines, would the "Nostalia" label override current safety limitations?  I don't have dog in this fight.  If you build a double Nelson Tigercat and/or the other person who posted here builds one with two Rossi 60's, I won't blow the whistle on you.  In fact, I'll hide behind something solid and watch.

Paul Smith

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »
A reading of the Nostalgia rules seems appropriate here:

2.       Applicability:  The CL Navy Carrier rules as published in the 1974-1975 AMA Official Model
               Aircraft Regulations shall govern this event except as modified below.

3.       Model Requirements:  Model design is unrestricted except as specified below and in the
               AMA Official Model Aircraft Regulations.  To encourage models which accurately reproduce
               actual nostalgia era Navy Carrier models, bonus points are awarded.

3.1.  Engine Specifications:  Engine and fuel system specifications shall be as listed in
                      the current AMA regulations for each event.

I don't see anything here that would allow any model with over .65 cu. in. total displacement in Nostalgia carrier - the 1974-75 rules had the same displacement limits and spec's as today's rules.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

david smith

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »
Could you send me some pics of it and what you would want for it? Thank you.

As for your other questions I think Mike's answer will handle that and I will be running a Super Tigre 29 on the other side of the Nelson.

One other thing that I was wondering was when was it "unlimited" for Class II?  Because I have talked to a few people that have been flying since the early 60's I think they said and they dont remember Carrier ever being unlimited.

Thanks
David

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »
One other thing that I was wondering was when was it "unlimited" for Class II?  Because I have talked to a few people that have been flying since the early 60's I think they said and they dont remember Carrier ever being unlimited.

Thanks
David

David,

Refer to rule 20.3 in the attached .jpg copies of the 1957-1958 rulebook. I don't know the exact history but believe the .65 limit was imposed when Navy Carrier was split into Class I & Class II.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

david smith

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »
Wow that is cool to see.  That answers my question though.  Between the unlimited engines and only the 15g pull test it must have been pretty exciting back then. Thanks for the info.

David

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:00:58 AM »
Back when it was just "US Navy Carrier", with only a 4-pound weight limit, the available engines were the Fox 59, McCoy 60, and Dooling 61.  The only planes that really took advantage of the unlimited power were the twins with 35's or better. 

Class I started in Detroit under the name of "40 Carrier", with ST G21/40 as the targeted engine.  When the CLCB put into The Rule Book they came up with the Class I & II names and slipped in the .65 lid.

The Nostalgia rules are clear enough.  The sticking point is that local events are still obligated to comply with current safety standards.  At the moment, there are no high performance events that allow more than .65 cubic inches.  Of course, a 29 + a 36 would be legal.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »
I have the plans and article for one of the original carrier planes for the very first carrier contest at a Navy Nationals.  The limit was .65 for the engine.  Since day one when I started playing with carrier it was .65 max.  I have never seen pictures of any plane with two McCoy .60 or even Dooling or O&R or even custom built .60+ engines.  I have seen plans of the Tiger Cat and it showed .35 inboard, .29 out board.  The first year it won the inboard had a throttle.  The outboard engine was shut down.  Then the rules was emposed that both engines had to be throttled.  The plane won again with the second throttle working.

I can vaguely remember when Class I was instigated as well as profile.  At the time you could fly profile or  Class I & II.  In other words if you flew scale carrier you could not fly profile and vice versa.  I stayed with scale with the other locals going to profile as the old McCoy Red Head was so reliable.  When they opened it up where you could fly all the classes is when carrier took a hit.  I am getting back to having fun some how.  Ran the Webra last night and it was right on.  Just need to get the lines made.  Same with the Stuka the OS LA .25 was a dream.  Need lines for it also.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here