News:

• May 17, 2024, 01:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tongue Muffler?  (Read 826 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Tongue Muffler?
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »
How do throttled engines behave with tongue mufflers?  Curious minds want to know ...

TIA!

Dennis
 ???
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Tongue Muffler?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:39:20 PM »
I have flown more than one CL scale model that have Tongue mufflers on the engine (with throttle) with no problems. My one and only CL carrier model has flown with a std OS muffler and the Tonque muffler, and without a muffler for carrier competition. They work just fine, the OS std mufflers do a better job with the noise.

Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
I have used a tongue muffler on a carrier ship several times and the work fine. What is your concern?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:00:23 PM »
Not very effective at reducing noise and the ones I've used tended to make the engine run a bit hot.    Mike
mike potter

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »
Thanks guys!  You've answered my question.

Dennis
 :)
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
A neat trick is to slice the muffler "tongue" off an engine's R/C muffler and use that as an exhaust tube to direct some of the oil away from your model. Does nothing to silence but makes a neat install.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »
How do throttled engines behave with tongue mufflers?  Curious minds want to know ...

TIA!

Dennis
 ???

The increased back pressure may well aid idling but will rob some off the top end.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:15:48 AM »
Very true.  In fact, some engines need the back pressure to idle at all.  Considering the scoring emphasis on low speed, sacrificing a bit of high end in favor of reliable idling is a fair price to pay.

Of course the optimum would be to make an oldest exhaust value.  Full high speed and good low speed.
Paul Smith

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »

Of course the optimum would be to make an oldest exhaust value.  Full high speed and good low speed.

Is that meant to be "valve?"

I was thinking the same thing actually, throttling is just not confined to the intake with an adjustable exhaust valve.

Its just that I really hate tongue 'mufflers' ........... I mean diffusers.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here