News:

• May 12, 2024, 07:47:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Musings about Carrier's Future  (Read 3523 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Musings about Carrier's Future
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 05:19:19 PM »
I am having trouble with the view that there needs to be a different beginners event. Sportsman is a beginners event, go back look at the NCS top twenty for the last 20 years. There are no high scores in sportsman. Yes it allows sliders, but you don't have to use one, and my experience says that most people don't use them in sportsman.

At my first carrier contest Joe Just tried to convince me to fly sportsman instead of AMA profile. This was 1990 at the NATS. I declined, because I did not consider myself a beginner in anything to do with CL models. No I wasn't competitive for a top spot, but I was 12th in a field of about 27 entries. Had I flown sportsman I may have been first. If you feel you are a beginner in carrier, fly Sportsman

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »
If we are looking for new competitors the fact that Sportsman allows sliders is reason enough for many to opt out of the event. Oh, I suppose they could just find another excuse but maybe they won't.  I usually enter Sportsman with slider disconnected so I know they are not necessary. It is also easier to teach someone to fly slow and make a good carrier landing (not a deck dive) with a large, moderately powered profile than to teach them to hang flight and hover land. (Not disrespecting that style of flight, just making a point).

Let's make it reeeeeeealy simple and get them "hooked" (pun intentional). This is what I seee NW Carrier doing. Hopefully after getting some experience they will want to take it to the next step which is a stronger engine, sliders, and lotsa practice. Kind of like those who start with the Beginner pattern usually get a more capable model, learn the full pattern and continue to participate. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
I still don't get what scares people off about sliders. A couple of years ago at Brodaks, the winner was someone with a SIG Skyray, no slider, He didn't go extremely fast or slow, but landed ever time. Other people have done the same. A slider does not guarantee success for the beginner. Better to practice landings, that seems to be where most people have trouble. In fact we have had steady growth in Sportsman, 15 profile and AMA profile at Brodaks, how many contests can  say that?
Yes I understand that beginners stunt has a simpler pattern, but not necessarily a simpler plane. In fact it looks to me like many of them will  take their plane to the next level. Allowing sliders in Sportsman opens the door for the same option.

Joe Just

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »

At my first carrier contest Joe Just tried to convince me to fly sportsman instead of AMA profile. This was 1990 at the NATS. I declined, because I did not consider myself a beginner in anything to do with CL models. No I wasn't competitive for a top spot, but I was 12th in a field of about 27 entries. Had I flown sportsman I may have been first. If you feel you are a beginner in carrier, fly Sportsman
[/quote]

For the rest of the story......John impressed the team so much with his efforts that he was rewarded the first ever NCS "Rookie of the Year" award. I believe he would have won it had he entered Sportsman instead of AMA Profile.
Joe

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »
Any of lthe profile planes are great for beginners.    Just make the slider adjustable like stunt and go with a throttle control engine.  The old Roberts kits were great for beginners.    The ones you  have been producing are great looking planes.   I started with scale carrier, becaue that is all they had at the time.   One class of plane and fly.    I think guys were wanting to get the 40 and under planes in a separate class so the 60 size planes were not taking a back seat sometimes.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here