News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mufflers for Carrier engines  (Read 547 times)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mufflers for Carrier engines
« on: October 01, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
What's the normal set up for mufflers for carrier engines?  I know some of the RC engines idle much better with some backpressure from the mufflers.

How about the higher performance engines like Rossi, Webra etc.----is a muffler or exhaust baffle needed?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Mufflers for Carrier engines
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
I run my Profile carrier with an OS-35FP, not a high performance engine but have flown with and without a muffler. It idles just fine without a muffler and if I remember correctly you can't use back pressure in profile carrier anyways.

Edit - I meant you can't use muffler pressure in profile carrier, good catch...

Fred C.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:06:05 AM by Fred Cronenwett »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
Back pressure is different than muffler pressure. Muffler pressure goes into the tank and is not allowed in profile. Back pressure is a restriction to the exiting exhaust gasses. It could be created by a muffler, or by a variable rotary or butterfly exhaust restrictor. Back in the dark ages when mufflers weren't used and carburetors were primitive, exhaust throttles were used alone or in conjunction with carburetors. Both devices limited the airflow through the engine; carburetors on the inlet side of things, exhaust throttles on the outlet side.

All that being said, if you are running a good quality modern carburetor (translation: OS) on suction, typically you can make your engine work with open exhaust. I ran a Webra rear intake 61 for many years on straight suction using an OS 4E carb. This carb has a 10 mm bore, and perked up the engine quite a bit compared to the stock Webra carb, which also ran very nicely. I believe I had to drill the needle seat out very slightly to get it to run rich, but I was also running 50%. On low nitro it may not be necessary to drill it out.

As an aside, I really love the sound of an engine with an exhaust throttle. Someday I may have to build something for nostalgia just so I can use an old Supertigre with the "bow tie" on the exhaust. :D

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »
I've tried both normal standard mufflers and tuned pipes. You must use 10% fuel so unless you used some kind of a tuned setup you will take a hit in high speed. But a tuned setup can actually improve the high speed. I currently have a profile setup with a tuned pipe. The engine is a thunder tiger with a MACs pipe. High speed is a couple of seconds better with the pipe over open exhaust, (both using 10%). Getting into low speed can be a bit tricky by it makes a cool whistling noise when everything works right.

Some of the RC carbs out there will not work without some pressure, ususally muffler pressure is all that is needed. The Thunder Tiger carb is one that needs pressure. I replaced it with an OS 4D.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here