News:

• May 20, 2024, 09:58:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MO-1 Retread  (Read 490 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
MO-1 Retread
« on: July 23, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
Getting ready for the NATS this year I wanted an Electric profile to fly on unofficial day. But a week before leaving I still hadn’t started a model.  I looked around the shop and decided I could convert an old MO-1 Profile (built about 1989) to electric. It turned out a bit crude, but I knew the plane was a good flyer. My first test flight was at Muncie after official flying was over on profile day. It performed better than I had hoped and was good enough for 2nd place in a field of 3. Since the other two guys, Pete Mazur and Art Johnson are literally years ahead with electric experience, I am pretty happy.

Motor:   Turnigy 3648
Prop:     APC 10X8P
ESC:      Turnigy 60A
Battery: Turnigy 2200 4s 30c
Controller: Arnold U/Tronics

So dust off an old profile and come join the fun next year. Electric are wide open and no one is a true expert yet.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: MO-1 Retread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:10:28 PM »
Judging by the lack of replies, I'm guessing a lot of people consider a MO-1 with electric power an act of Heresy. 
Two of the most bitched about subjects combined into a competitive model. S?P

To each his own...best of luck.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »
Yeah, there is a lot of dislike for MO-1's, but in the past carrier was dominated by Guardians. For any event at the time there is probably a design that works best.

I don't think there is much interest in electric powered carrier, but I love electrics and the MO-1 is an example of how easy it is to convert an old glow plane to give it a try.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
Way to go John!

I like the idea of taking an older model and updating it to electric. I am an advocate of electric power for carrier since I think it works well and is a new challenge for all.

Now if I would get off my butt and finish the electric profile that I started last year I could give you some competition!!!

If you notice there seems to be a resurgence of Guardians in carrier and a lot fewer MO-1s, at least at the Nats. Whatever works!!!

Keep up the good work.
Bob Frogner

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here