News:

• May 20, 2024, 04:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: U-2 for Carrier  (Read 496 times)

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
U-2 for Carrier
« on: December 02, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »
Altho the U-2 was more than a little tricky to land on a big strip, some U-2s actually operated from aircraft carriers.  There was a standard carrier kit  including cable guards and a tail hook that could be installed for a carrier operation.  Some even had folding wings.  Spoilers had to be added to enable lift dumping and the required spot landings.  The U-2 flew on and off a number of carriers, including the Kitty Hawk, Ranger, and America, and flew operational sorties at least once, monitoring French nuclear tests in the South Pacific.

http://www.rbogash.com/U-2/U-2.html
Tom  S?P   H^^

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: U-2 for Carrier
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »
I always wanted to build one, and I even have plans drawn for a U-2 using a foam wing, someday maybe I'll build it

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
Here is some data I had that may be of interest

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 02:06:04 AM »
Altho the U-2 was more than a little tricky to land on a big strip, some U-2s actually operated from aircraft carriers.  There was a standard carrier kit  including cable guards and a tail hook that could be installed for a carrier operation.  Some even had folding wings.  Spoilers had to be added to enable lift dumping and the required spot landings.  The U-2 flew on and off a number of carriers, including the Kitty Hawk, Ranger, and America, and flew operational sorties at least once, monitoring French nuclear tests in the South Pacific.

http://www.rbogash.com/U-2/U-2.html
Tom  S?P   H^^

Neat video. Thanks for the link. I've had a couple of experiences where the same Guy was helping me out!
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here