News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:43:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Line sliders  (Read 1242 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
Line sliders
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:21:33 AM »
I've started working my first ama profile carrier and need to start thinking about the line slider. I think I have the mechanics of it worked out but I do have a question. I've noticed many sliders move the lines inboard for low speed. What is the purpose of this and how do I know how far inboard to put the slide?

Thanks,
 Jim

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Line sliders
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 06:50:10 AM »
The Rules require that the lines cannot go farther aft than the root chord of the wing.  Therefore some designs allow more slide angle than others.  For example, planes like the Devastator with a straight LE and severely swept forward TE give you a lot to work with.  With that fillet, you could get the leadout back to 45 degrees, no problem.

With any design, you can achieve a greater sweep angle by placing the leadout guide (at the slow position) more inboard.  But enough is enough.  You need some distance between the body and leadout guide.

I recently crashed a plane that flew OK, then I moved the guide too far inboard to try for more and found the limit.
Paul Smith

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »
      Jim, these are the 2 sliders (top of wing/bottom of wing) that I have settled on at least for now. Very simple, easy to use, and easily interchangeable. These are just a sliders not line releases.
Eric

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
     The other one.
Eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here