News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:15:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lets talk about skill classes  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Lets talk about skill classes
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:49:19 AM »
Most of the discussions on skill classes are buried in threads that seem to get off on electrics verses glow. So what do you guys think of simply adding Sportsman to the existing classes? The main Carrier classes flown now are 1,2 15 and Profile. I know there are others being flown in parts of the country but am pretty sure these 4 are the base. We have already accepted Sportsman Profile and it seems to be doing well. If we add Sportsman to 15, 1 & 2 not much would change except it would give the beginner a class to fly whatever airplane he might bring to the party.

No rules would need to be changed and the guy that built an airplane from his past just for fun could fly it. Example, most of you probably remember Lee's Airabonita powered by a TT 36, Lee is what most refer to as a sports flyer and built it simply because he wanted to. If we had Class 1 Sportsman bet he could be talked into entering it in a contest. Without a Sportsman class he would have to fly against fire breathing 40's and experienced carrier pilots. Not to speak for Lee, but kinda hard to get excited about entering a contest of any kind knowing you are beat before you even start.

The only down side I see is the additional expense of trophies or awards for 8 carrier classes. Combining 1 & 2 seems to be an accepted practice which cuts it down to 6 classes.. I'm really liking this and unless someone comes up with something I am missing I would really like to try it at our Carrier contest this summer.

Joejust

Re: Lets talk about skill classes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:46 AM »
Bob, the Navy Carrier Society has already has 13 classes in it's Top 20 Final Rankings.  Only 3 are AMA events, Profile,Class 1 and
Class2.  The rest are unoficial events. they are .15....15 Sportsman..sportsman Profile..Nostalgia Profile...Nostalgia Class 1....Nostalgia Class 2.....Skyray.....Electric profile...Electric Clss 1...Electric Class2.

The above listing is for NCS acknowledgement only and does not include any local or regional Carrier event like the new Sport .40 Profile event that may be large what with the interest being shown here in the NW and other areas.

While I am an proponent of skill classes, I seriously doubt the NCS would be willing to set up skill classes in all 13 events. It may be that the NCS   must look at why we have 13 events instead of the original 3 plus .15 Carrier we had just 17 years ago. Many I have talked to feel 13 events is way too many.

Right now nationally it appears that AMA Profile, Class 1, .15 Profile and Sportsman are the most popular.  I think Class 1 and 2 are too advanced for novice pilots.  I think skill classes could be set up in Profile, .15 and Sportsman.  Nostalgia dosn't need classes , Skyray is strictly a regional event and Electric is still in the cradle and who knows how that part of Carrier will turn out.

I do ramble don't I?

I think the time is now for the current or future officers of the NCS to  really consider some changes by dropping some events, combining others and set up skill classes for Profile, .15 and Sportsman catagories.
Joe

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »
HOw about paring it down similar to stunt,,
Classic( or nostalgia) with no skill classes
Carrier ( basically anything goes with bonus for scale built up ala class one or two but an engine limit of say .46. this would be where skill classes would come in, say beginner, interm and expert. )
Profile class like stunt with two classes, expert and everyone else.

I KNOW its not how it was done, its not traditional,, but then traditional carrier went away during the floods,, oh I mean the epic much talked about rule change
Not absolutly sure how you would decide skill classes,, most likely on an honor system using peer pressure.
It works fairly well in stunt, there are a few here and there that linger in a class but usually they are "urged" to move up and do .

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:36:25 AM »
Bob,
I think skill classes are a good idea. The NCS does not have to approve, although I think they would.
We already have sportsman 15 and sportsman 35 profile. The rules in both are the same as for AMA (although in the case of 15 there is no AMA event. Adding it to Scale would be just a matter of the CD saying this is sportsman scale, same rules as AMA scale. People that fly with out hanging and doing 90-100 mph would likely fly in sportsman.

I am not sure it makes sense in Nostalgia, few people fly it, and seldom is it offered except at Muncie I think.
John

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:48:08 AM »
     Bob, I think you should try it in a local or regional contest near you. Prefably one that you will be one of the organizers, pitch man, gatherer of funds and all the things that go with putting on an event, especially an event to encourage more fliers. I'm pretty sure you have already been involved in the contest higher arch'ly so there wont be to many surprises, and report back on your findings and feelings of how it went.
     There are 6 carrier contest here on the west coast that I go to every year and I think we have tried a lot of different things to bring out carrier fliers to the contest with very mild results. One of the things that can create problems is carrier is just one (usually the smallest one) of many events being put on by the host. It is no secret that we would like to draw more contestants and believe it or not some in the other events don't appreciate our presence all that much (my feelings).
     We always tried to give 1st through 3rd trophy's in at least 3 or 4 events. Almost always there were trophy's left over and the host club was not very happy about that. they would have been much happier if all the trophy's had been handed out but that is not the way it goes in most carrier contest these days. So in the last couple of years events have been combined and percent of record used to determine who won and lost. The hosting clubs think we are doing the right thing by them (for them) when we do this but I don't think it turns out to be an encourager for new contestants.
     One thing we do in all of these contests is time all flights and send all of the results into the Hi-Low so they will show up in the top 20 lists so anyone one that shows up can fly what they bring and if it is covered in the top 20 list they will see their results (even if they don't belong to the NCS).
     So different regions end up doing things a certain way and others will do it some other way and only if you try something will you know if it will works. I'm looking forword to what happens this May at the NWR with the NW Sport 40 event.  Eric
Eric

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
Hi Eric,

Yep that is precisely what I intend to do.. I'm the CD for what will be Tulsa's first Carrier contest in ages (1st weekend in August) and would like it to be a success. We are blessed with a few advantages over some clubs, one being we make the awards on site as needed eliminating the trophy issue.

Wonder how many of the 13 classes/events Joe mentioned were created with the idea of getting new blood.. I think going back to the basics but with skill classes would accomplish what I would guess some of the unofficial events intended to do. This is what works in stunt, everyone except beginner flys the same pattern so moving up doesn't really require building a new airplane or learning new rules.

Joejust

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
Bob, break your contest down to Expert/Sportsman in Profile, Scale, and .15. Forget the rest of the mystic "13"  Go on an "honor System" basis and if somebody comes in and flys a very high score suggest they really belong in Expert,not Sportsman. For example, anything scoring over 250 in Profile should be put in Expert.  Anyone scoring over 271 In Scale should move to expert and anyone scoring over 200 in .15 needs to fly as an expert. I took a look at the top 20 scores for 2011 to make my scoring suggestion.
With your expertise in making instant awards you are really at an advantage that other groups should try.  This would do away with having tin throphies made in advanced with the en graving etc.

Joe Just

PS Does anyone really fly to get another tin pot award? Also after my computer problems earlier this week I see that I am back to being "Bigcountry joe", and my rotating throphy has dissapeard.  Never fear, I am and will always be your pal, Joe Just

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »
For me personally, carrier because of the rules (I am not complaining about current rules) limits me on subjects I would love model for carrier.  Look at all the swept wing carrier planes we could model such as Bob Reeves FJ-4.  Really cool airplane, but in AMA profile carrier, swept wing planes are at a competitive disadvantage.  Wouldn't it be cool to come to a carrier event with a Top Gun F-14.  I am not saying this is the answer, but a sweep wing class for carrier would get me excited.

Darrel

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
Carrier planes with electric ducted fans ...oh..my> Tomcats/ F-18's/ etc. New EDF engines turn some awesome rpm's.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »
I'm having a bit of difficulty with the seemingly conflicting notions of building a carrier airplane purely for the fun of it, and then not wanting to enter a contest unless you think you can win something.  ??? But that's not the point. As the CD, you can structure the events however you see fit. I would say sportsman and expert in profile and 15 for sure. In the scale classes, I'm not sure you will be overrun with fire breathing 40's and 60's to the point that you need a sportsman class, but how about this? Combine class I and II, and have a sportsman class and an expert class. Let people enter both I and II if they choose, but they can only take one award. Then remind everybody that their profiles are also legal in class I, so people can get more flights in. Also, let people fly other classes (nostalgia, Skyray, etc) for scores but not awards. Sportsman competitors could also enter nostalgia, as long as they don't have line sliders. With much less emphasis on low speed, the playing field is more level in nostalgia for the sportsman.

Give people plenty of chances to fly, and don't get hung up on a bunch of awards. Like I mentioned before, give a raffle ticket for every landing, then have a drawing. I'll donate something!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »
Years ago while a member of the Sky Devils of KCMo. we were flying F2C.   At the time we had to fly so many contests to qualify for the Team Trials.   The teams at the time were from Springfield Mo., KCK, Lincoln NE. and KCMo.   So that meant there were only so many teams at a contest.    Oh we did have a couple of teams from back east come and compete.   Trophies were not even thought of.   Bill Wright designed certificates for the contests to given out showing the place, date and winning/placing times.   So we would go to Omaha NE., Springfield Mo. or KCMo. to compete.   They were monthly get togethers in a way.   I think we went to Wichta one year.  Also St Louis .   But, I can see anward for first with certificates for the other places.

Now for the NATs I can see only Scale Carrier both classes and Profile.   The other events on the last day as it has been happening for how many years now.   If someone wants all these other classes of carrier, do it locally.   My 1/2 cent comment time is used up. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here