News:

• April 26, 2024, 06:47:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kudos to PAMPA  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Kudos to PAMPA
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:59:19 AM »
Read Kudos to PAMPA. Rich Peabody's inditement of Navy Carrier. Pretty much hit it on the head. Hard to repute.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
Re: Kudos to PAMPA
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
     How do I read the article?? I know about PAMPA but am not a member so is there a way to read this article without joining PAMPA?
Eric

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 10:43:58 AM »
     How do I read the article?? I know about PAMPA but am not a member so is there a way to read this article without joining PAMPA?

Go look at the Open Forum above.  Peabody finally said something that most would agree with.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/kudos-to-pampa/

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
Ah yes, Pampa is golden. And I always listen to people who don't fly the event trashing what going on. Right. If you don't fly carrier or scale why complain.
John Vlna

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »
     Well silly old me Wayne, I thought you meant he wrote the comment in the PAMPA news letter. Sorry, I don't think he is "all" right in his comments. He is right in saying "PAMPA deserves a gold star" that's for sure. "Inditement"? I'm sorry some of us fly every event in carrier that we can because we really like to fly the event. I think NCS got the message when they added Sportsman events in Profile and .15 so the new to this event entrant wouldn't feel so overwhelmed. Is that not enough? Maybe there is a difference in wanting to fly carrier and wanting to compete in carrier? Nothing keeps a person from doing one or the other or both. "Hard to repute", yeah I guess your right at least for me because I always find it a little depressing to see these kinds of statements and then have to  repute them. Oh well.
Eric

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
Hard to repute, perhaps easier to refute...

Jim Roselle

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »
So I scratch built my first carrier plane, a .15, about two years ago. I've struggled with airframe and engine trim, swapped engines, built a second "experimental" plane around a third engine. The experiment  was a flop, that thing wouldn't hang to save my life. I've studied and come to understand tank venting, I think. I work full time and have a family so I struggle to find time to practice. Even if I did have time for practice I fly against Burt and Eric at every contest and probably won't out score them. I've flown in three contest in the last two years and had some great beginners luck at the first one. I managed to not finish on the bottom of the top twenty, close but not the bottom. I have a great time tinkering with the equipment. It's been very frustrating at times but mostly it's been a great deal of fun. There was a photo of my plane in the carrier section of Model Aviation, that was really cool. My main goal is to beat my own best score and have some fun along the way. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if someone refuses to fly carrier because they can't go home with a trophy every time that may well be an attitude problem all the skill classes in the world can't fix.

Jim

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 04:04:35 PM »
The essay is off base IMHO. At the NW Regioinals Experts voluntarily did not enter NW Sport 40 Carrier so as not to make it a beginner event for Experts. On the west coast Experts seldom enter the previous Sportsman Carrier. At most contests prop hanging is not necesssary in this class. They do enter Profile Carrier and Class I and II but that is as it should be. .15 Carrier is harder to fly than either NW sport or Sportsman and in reality is not a beginner event. Be prepared to put some effort into that one as can be seen by the previous post. I guess the point is that the premise of Peabody's essay is incorrect. The Experts are trying to leave some space for new-bies or casual fliers. There are other reasons why carrier is not growing. I'm not going to go into them however the  fix is not as easy as just keeping Experts out of entry level events.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »
Just thought you guys might want to know what some people think about Navy Carrier. Quite unfair but that is what some people think. Doesn't help attracting new fliers. You might question Rich Peabody's motives because they sure aren't mine.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 08:56:39 AM »
In any case, his example is faulty -- .15 Profile was not conceived as a Beginners event.  We currently divide it into Sportsman and Expert already.

Saturday in Polk City, we flew it Sportsman-Expert combined (% of 2016 Top 20 score).

I flew Expert and got beat by 2 Sportsmen - 1st place was 120%, 2nd was 105%, 3rd was 85%.  So, this worked EXACTLY as I hoped it would.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here