News:

• May 10, 2024, 09:22:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Northwest Carrier  (Read 4600 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Northwest Carrier
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
I see that some of the guys that fly the normal AMA carrier events are now flying also the Northwest Carrier 40 event that was to get people started in carrier.  How are we going to get people interested if the experts are entering the event also?   I could see it if that was the only event they had to enter.  I remember when profile carrier was supposed to do the same thing, get people interested.   Then they the powers that were in at that time opened up so people could fly all three events.  Profile dropped immediately as far as attendance.   Class II carrier was my event at the time and I did not even think of flying profile as I was hoping people would fly it and maybe want to move to more advanced plane.  But, time moves on.   Yes, I did fly Sportsman at the NATS instead of profile with my Bearcat.   Also have loaned a plane to a competitor to fly in the unofficial events.  Now that I think of it I wondered why an individual would fly the AMA scale events and then fly the Sportsman profile on unofficial day when it was separate.   I think it should 40 carrier for those that don't fly the AMA events.  But then again I am getting old and senile. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Northwest Carrier
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »
Except for NW Regionals and the Sping Tune-up in Portland, we only fly NW Sport .40 here in the NW.  So anyone flying an AMA carrier class would not be able to fly NW Sport .40 the rest of the year?  If I have you correct, that would kill Carrier in the NW.  Maybe I don't understand.  I can see if you had a Sportsman Class at the NATS not having the big boys fly in Sportsman. But in local events I don't see it.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »
Personally, I like having the expert flyers in the event because I learn so much from them.  Equipment, flying techniques, and tons of helpful advice. Doc does have some very good points but Sport 40 is more sport than competition for me.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
I agree. This year was my first time at NW Regionals. We flew with locals and "experts" (Eric and Burt), I wouldn't have changed that.  My sons and I soaked up every bit of knowlege we could, and had a GREAT time. I can't remember if the "experts" flew NW Sport .40 or not, but it wouldn't have matter to anyone there.  I think all of us flying NW Sport .40 in Washington and Oregon take it as a competition, it's the only contests we have going. I can see the restrictions at the NATS, if they even fly a Sprotsmans Class there.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »
I see Doc's point. I would like to see two Sport 40 Classes; Sportsman and Competitor. This is consistent to what the NW stunt guys do with profile stunt and it works. With 14 entries at the 2013 Northwest Regionals there are enough entries to justify and support an additional class. There could be a point cutoff for advancement into the next class as well as the usual peer pressure.  I think it would encourage both beginners, casual carrier fliers like myself, and experts, to participate. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Joe Just

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
In all sincerity I really would like one, or more, of the "Expert" profile competitors to give their reasoning as to why they want to fly what in all aspects is a beginner/sportsman, or just for the heck of it event.  I am not trying to eliminate their flying in NW .40 Profile if that is their desire, but I really can't fathom their want or need to beat guys like myself and other duffers.  I recently asked one of the top Profile competitors why he didn't give the new event a try.  His answer was ( and I paraphrase) "I get no kick out of beating guys like you Joe.  I compete so I have to really push myself against other top guys!"  With the NW record now standing at 199 why would anyone capable of flying well into the 300's and more fly NW .40?  Just to set the record straight, I have flown NW .40 once each year only for the last 3 years, and have finished dead last each time. However I have never had so much fun flying a NW contest, and that goes back to the late 70's.
Dividing NW .40 into two skill groupings maybe the best answer.  The cut-off needs to be either voluntary or by the numbers.  And the rules for the NW have to be debated and voted on as they have been since the inception of the event here.  What ever takes place elsewhere does not have to be followed.  Taking a look at the just published "Top 20"  from the NCS The top 16 all scored higher than 250.  Expert class should start above that score, what ever the under 250 class is called 250 should be the dividing line. Now is the time to lock in some basic reasoning to NW .40 before this great fun  event goes the way of Clown Race where local contests had entries of up to 18 entries to what we have now, just 2 or 3 guys flying.

Your comments PLEASE!
Joe
PS Don't want your comments show?  PM me instead. I will pass them on without a name.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »
Several times you say what a fun event it is. Why can't it be just as much fun for the experts? The fun isn't in the winning, it's in the DOING! Seeing what can be done within the parameters of the rules is the challenge, not seeing how badly you can beat everybody else. If it's really a problem, have skill classes.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
I say leave it alone. This is a simple event with simple rules. The idea was and is to get as many people flying NW Sport .40 as we can.  Now we want to limit it to scores under 250, sorry Joe I don't agree.  Joe you know how I feel about you, so please don't take it the wrong way.  We just had the record set at 199, by Bill Darkow. Bill is 81 years old and this is the only event he flies all year and he's looking to better his score next year. He's flying a new plane that 'could' break 250.  So, he breaks 250 if the plane and the pilot bring everything together in one day and then we tell him he can't fly with us anymore?  I won't back that.  We've (my sons and I) flown NW Sport .40  for the last two years and only Mike has competed in it more than we have in that time. And no one flying this event wants it changed.  I can't think we want to put something like this to a vote on Flyinglines with a bunch of people who don't and/or won't fly with us, and let them decide to change it for those who fly it.  It's just like the fuel vote last time, I remember someone telling me 40-50 people voted on that issue and we only have, at the most 12-15 at any given contest.  Most of us don't even care what fuel is used, but now we have to find a fuel which is hard to find in our area, where most of the events are flown. Again, Joe you know I count you as a close friend and we don't have to agree on everything. And are we really talking about one contest a year, NW Regionals, which we don't even know if we will have again? That's the only contest I saw an "expert" at, and again I don't even know if either one of them actually the event.

Joe Just

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »
I yield, with one last word.  Why not let Howard Rush or Paul Walker, or Tom Strom, or Tim Wescottt fly in the beginner class of PA? No umbridge taken Duke.  My basic concern, now ended with this thread, is the fact that I have seen parts of Carrier, racing and combat decline when a guy seeking just a bit of fun is outgunned to the point where his participation in his event gets to the point where he drops out rather than look totally inept.  I can not think of any event in control line competition that grows except PA. The reason IMHO is the skill classes that PA developed to give the event growth.

Now, I will continue , with my wife's failing health a big factor, to compete when I can.  Just that will allow somebody else to not be the one that always comes in last.
Joe

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »
If we are talking about Paul Walker and all the expert PA guys, I understand your point.  They could fly a 500 with a 1/2a.  But we're not.  So I looked up the 2013 Regionals results, this to me proves my point.  Burt and Eric did fly NW Sport .40, they did take 1st and 2nd place, followed by my 16 year old son who has only been flying carrier for a year and a half.  And the top three only had a ten point spread. Eric and Burt's scores were not even near 250, and were far below any other scores they put in that weekend..  This is a fun event and we all are having a blast flying it.  We are only really talking about one contest here, the Regionals. And we might not even have another one.  I was there this year and no one that I talked to had a problem with them flying.  I would not have changed a thing, Eric and Burt both jumped in and help every time anyone needed anything. Two of the best guys I've ever met in the hobby.  This event is the limiting factor, engines, no sliders, ect.  And the 'Experts' scores should prove that.  If we kick old Bill out because he flew that new plane well and physically he had a great day, something's wrong.  He might not have anyone to fly against unless he ever goes to the Regionals again.  This event has done nothing but grow, why change anything?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »
In reality guys, the NW 40 carrier should be kept as a local event.   I've seen what happened to Clown Racing,  Shoestring Racing and Class II Goodyear.   There are some that will do or spend what they have to just to win.  I can vaguely remember when Mouse Racing with the reed engines was usually won or had better times than the open competitors by the Juniors.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »
NW 40 is a local event. And no amount of money will help you in it.  That's the cool thing about it and in my opinion why it's growing so fast.  We had one lone carrier guy in the Skyraiders when we started. Now we have at least six that I can think of. And many others that come to the contests from all over Washington and Oregon.  And Burt and Eric's scores were not recorded in the NW records for Regionals, just the local guys.  Do any of the local guys have a problem with Burt and Eric flying at the Regionals. I know I don't and I learned a ton from them at the Regionals.  Eric has gone beyond the call of duty to help me and my boys in NW 40 carrier.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »
I see Doc's point. I would like to see two Sport 40 Classes; Sportsman and Competitor. This is consistent to what the NW stunt guys do with profile stunt and it works. With 14 entries at the 2013 Northwest Regionals there are enough entries to justify and support an additional class. There could be a point cutoff for advancement into the next class as well as the usual peer pressure.  I think it would encourage both beginners, casual carrier fliers like myself, and experts, to participate. 8)

I don't know if you flew at the Regionals or not, I don't know your name.  But, no one scored high enough in NW 40 to be in the Expert class. And if you were to count Burt and Eric, you would have had two in Expert and 12 in Sportsman. 

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 12:23:24 AM »
Hi Duke, my name's in the botttom of the post, C stands for Cunha. Yes, I entered NW Sport 40 Carrier (among other events) at the last NW Regionals. Got a practice flight in. 95 point landing then my wing came loose in the fuselage so I did not get an official. I consider Burt and Eric friends in modeling but would still like there to be two classes so your boy can win next year rather than just compete for third. Only two in Expert?, as the event grows that will change. Without skill classes it will become just another beginner event dominated by a few Experts. If that's what you all want...fine, but I think Joe and Doc have got it right...been there, seen that. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 07:41:13 AM »
Pete- I do remember you now. You must have been busy with other events, hope we have a chance to meet again.  To tell you the truth, My son would rather fly against Eric and Burt. I just don't think the two classes are really needed in this event. It doesn't really matter what I want anyways, I would only have one vote if this goes any farther.  I would like to run a couple scores to see what it would take to get to 250 in NW 40.

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »
Well Scott I don't think you need to waist to much time try to see if you can get a 250 point score in NWS40 unless you are planning on hanging the plane in the low speed portion of the event and I hope you arnt going to do that (like Burt and I have done in the last 2 NWRs). I don't believe Mike ever concidered the hang being used in S40 and firmly feel it shouldn't. As Mike says its a new event and we can change the rules as it evolves "if we have to". I'm enclined to agree with Pete, to have more than one S40 class at least at some contests (the ED would have the control over this) and I would be happy to sponsor the extra 3 trophies at the next NWR if they decide to do the event that way. Which brings up another thing that would need to be done and that is how are we going to set up the cut point? S40 is being flown at 2 contest in the LA area and also in several contest down in Arizona. It is a scheduled event in the Carrier Plus contest in Phoenix this next weekend. I have a feeling that Bill's flight is probably the best non hanging score there is right now so?

This in my opinion is a great event and I would rather fly this event than the AMA stuff (well most of the time) because it is so simple and straight foreward (if it weren't for the hanger's). Eric
Eric

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »
Eric is right about the slow speeds.  I ran the numbers and if someone can break into the 25 sec. fast speed and they hang the plane for almost 2 minutes in the slows you can break 250.  I'm not sure if someone is going to break into the 25 sec fast speeds. And some are trying to hang a little, but nothing near the 2 minute mark.  I think we should just leave things alone, if it's not broke don't fix it.  If we get enough guys flying NWS40, then we can think about two classes. But right now we are not there and we are having a lot of fun the way it is.  Maybe two classes at the Regionals would be a good idea, but not at the local contests.   Heck Eric I don't even have a NWS40 plane right now. I'm still working on the Mustang that I had started at the Regionals. ;D  I just don't see this working right now.  So the first guy to hang his plane and break 250 has to fly expert by himself until the next guy hits 250?  I do think NWS40 can grow more and we might need two classes later, at a local level.

Eric-Good to hear from you.  I have been able to get into the hang a couple times, but I would have to practice like Burt to ever be able to do it for more than one lap. Heck, I'm lucky to get a practice flight in before the contest. ;D

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »
Reading this as an interested observer, I'd like to throw this out on the table - (Re: NW .40 Carrier)

Why not use a handicap system? Works for Golf and Bowling...

For the guys who fly the higher classes, they would enter as "Experts" with a -0- handicap applied to their final score.

The next 2 classes down would be "Sportsman", then "Beginner" with ascending handicaps accordingly.

It would make the Experts sweat it out and give the Beginners a sporting chance.

Hope I'm not throwing a wrench in the thread, just a thought.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 07:36:24 PM »
We do that in the 25 stunt class in Northern California. It works well for that event but I still prefer the two skill classes for this one.  8)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:22:00 PM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
That's a good idea, if we ever need something. You aren't isolating anyone from the local contests then.

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:24 AM »
Douglas,

What a great idea. I sailed under the PHRF rules many years ago along with thousands of other sailors and it worked quite well. As you say there are many handicap formulas around to support all types of sports and most if not all do a pretty good job leveling the field. I also remember that in the early years of PHRF the numbers would change when they found that things were becoming out of balance. We could actually do both depending on the CDs and EDs preference at each contest. All we would have to do is gather a pretty good mathematician and several brilliant minds that could all work together and, what the heck am I thinking?

Well anyway I think you have a great idea and I for one will start to play with some numbers and see if I can come up with something and then run the figures in several contest and see what the results are. Maybe, Eric.
Eric

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »
The great minds are gathered, now we just need Burt to bring him laptop to do the math. ;D  I really like the idea of one contest, if we have to do something.  Where you use this 'handicap' system, how do you set the handicap? from the year before? The contest before?  How about the new guy with no average? Do you reset your handicap each year like bowling?

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »
Well maybe we need one good mathematician with a great mind which kind of leaves us out standing in the rain. I just laid out a spread sheet for this years scores in the Northwest area. I then started another one for 2012 scores and there is a BIG difference which can be expected in a new event. It looks like there are enough (maybe) scores to rate 4 out of 16 contestants. Those 4 have 16 scores to pull from, then there is Burt and I (1) and the rest had 2 or less scores or incomplete scores (only scored in 2 or less of the 3 things scored in carrier). So I think it is to early to tell much other than we don't have much work with. So lets say that flyer 4 (f4) had an average score of 186, f3 190, f2 193, and f1 191. So now do we give f3 7 handicap points, f3 3 handicap points, and f1 2 handicap points so that all would all be equal to F2 (193)? This is only one way to look at it (my way) but I don't know if it is the right way. You would also have to do something with all of the other entrants so they would be part of the whole? So Scott this it just one way to look at the handicap, there must be plenty of others out there.  Eric
Eric

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »
I'm thinking along the line of glof or bowling.

In golf, you have (score-course rating) x slope rating = handicap.  Please foregive me if I have that wrong. I don't play golf that well.  So, you would have (Avg. score-actual score) x 0.5.  Just for example, say the average score is 190 and you score 187. (190-187)=3x0.5=1.5 handicap. your score would be 188.5.  In golf though, you need to have 4-5 to 20 scores on that course to do this.

In bowling, you start the year out with zero. The first day you bowl three games and get an average and your handicap is based off a set number/score of around 200.  Then your average changes day by day, total pins to date/ by total games to date.  Seem like this would be an easy way to do it, we could base it on the 200pt score. whichis where we are now.

With any handicap system you always have to worry about the "sandbaggers".  Good ideas by all.

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 03:32:04 PM »
As I said there are many different ways to handicap. I don't know anything about Golf or Bowling so don't know how or why of their formula. If you use the 200 thresh hold that will leave Burt and I above and everyone else below which I'm sure would be alright with Burt and I. Course if Burt stops hanging and then I do we could easily be below 200 also (probably where we should be).  Eric
Eric

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »
We do that in the 25 stunt class in Northern California. It works well for that event but I still prefer the two skill classes for this one.  8)

How's your handicap system set up? Points or a Formula?
AMA 656546

Joe Just

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
How  about this idea given to me today by an unnamed Eastern Carrier pilot? (honest!)

Have a no hanging rule in NW .40 Profile.  Evens the playing field, still allows anyone interested in giving NW .40P a try, great stepping stone to AMA Profile. Allows ANY  person to fly (even national ranking persons)  His suggestion includes the Great Britain method of having a 30 degree marker on the fuse or rudder so the Ed (or judge) can determine the plane is flying at or under the 30 degree limit.

Pretty sensible seems to me.
Joe

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
I'm thinking along the line of glof or bowling.

In golf, you have (score-course rating) x slope rating = handicap.  Please foregive me if I have that wrong. I don't play golf that well.  So, you would have (Avg. score-actual score) x 0.5.  Just for example, say the average score is 190 and you score 187. (190-187)=3x0.5=1.5 handicap. your score would be 188.5.  In golf though, you need to have 4-5 to 20 scores on that course to do this.

In bowling, you start the year out with zero. The first day you bowl three games and get an average and your handicap is based off a set number/score of around 200.  Then your average changes day by day, total pins to date/ by total games to date.  Seem like this would be an easy way to do it, we could base it on the 200pt score. whichis where we are now.

With any handicap system you always have to worry about the "sandbaggers".  Good ideas by all.

If you could make it tough to set your handicap. Say, a qualifying flight to get a baseline for the contest that sets your handicap, then if you exceed the baseline flight for an official by a percentage, your disqualified for sandbagging.

Have a scaled handicap/ time chart with a combined score that never exceeds the "Record" for NW Carrier and you'll be forced to fly a good qualifying flight to make a showing. The chart would be updated every year at the start of the season.

Keep the Exceedance (percentage above qualifying baseline score) at a minimal percent with a generous handicap for beginners at the low end that tapers in a curve down to the higher scores (Sportsman).
AMA 656546

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
I don't know. The more I read through this the more it seems like a pain in the butt.  This is such a simple event and we don't have a problem (at least right now).  I can see using a handicap idea, but the poor guy/guys running the scores will have a bunch of extra work. And I don't know if everyone wants a no hang rule.  Most of the guys are trying to hang now. NWS40 is a great place the see if you want to move up the the Bigs. Same with NW .15.

Joe Just

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »
Duke, the only difference in NW .15 and the otherwise National .15 Carrier is the following.  In the original Denver rules, the rules that basically are used outside the NW, the rule state the plane must be a Profile.  Attempts to bring the NW rules into conformation to everyone else have failed. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it.
Joe

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »
Scott,

I think your right, leave well enough alone. It has been Mike's attitude all along on the event that he introduced. The only fiddling so far was the 10% rule that was not called for and has done little other than to limit the lubrication to a level less than the 40FP requires or longevity. "Keep it simple stupid" rings a bell. Eric
Eric

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »
I just think for now, the K.I.S.S. system is the best.  But, the last time I used the K.I.S.S. phase (talking about this event BTW) another guy took it as me calling him stupid. So I try not to use it that often anymore. And I'd love to fly against you, Burt , and anyone else, anytime.  I'm not afraid, stupid maybe, but not afraid. ;D  To me it's just about flying these little toy planes. And talking in the pits, maybe more about talking in the pits. LL~ And for the ones that know me, you know I'm better at the talking. Joe is about my speed, I love pulling up a chair next to Joe in the pits. Good Times!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
Now I am going to show how young I am.  I can remember back when there was only one AMA Carrier event.   At that time max displacement  was a .65.   I remember that as Mr Meriwether had a ignition .65 converted to glow with two speed control.  My first engine was the first Fox .40 RC with the verticle slider on the exhaust and rotary carb/venture.   Would just barely fly the Gaurdian at full throttle.   There were Johnson's and K&B's with some kind of throttle.   We all flew and had fun.  Then came the McCoy .60.  The fun left and became serious for me.   Won a lot of contests with the old Red Head.   Then the Rossi came to be.  I guess that is why I left carrier for a while as it was not fun any more.  But then I built the Roberts Bearcat and it became fun again with the Super Tigre I got from George Hubschmitt.   It now has a Webra and is fun when I don't mess thing up.   May put one of my OS .40's on the SkyRay I have for carrier as they are so dependable.  Now if I get serious again and am not having fun, some one better put a boot to my backside I sit on. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 05:12:24 PM »
A handicap system works in the NorCal 25 stunt event because since AMA stunt has skill classes everyone knows what class they fly in and how many points they are entitled to. To try and determine a handicap from scratch would, to put it one way, not be simple. As for the two classes rather than one idea, it's not about fear, it's about giving new and less experienced fliers a chance to win. Isn't that one of the purposes of a "beginner" event?

Sport flying is one thing, contests are another. Competitors like to believe they have a chance of winning, especially individuals who are just starting out in the sport. Skill classes allow that. They are a primary reason that participation in stunt has increased rather than declined as has every other C/L event. For the record, if there were two classes I would fly the in Competitor/Expert class, 45 plus years of flying the event and more than a few Carrier trophies and plaques on the wall prove I ain't no beginner...no matter what the score. That's a wrap. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Joe Just

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
Scott,

I think your right, leave well enough alone. It has been Mike's attitude all along on the event that he introduced. The only fiddling so far was the 10% rule that was not called for and has done little other than to limit the lubrication to a level less than the 40FP requires or longevity. "Keep it simple stupid" rings a bell. Eric

Eric, the 10% rule was put in to keep within the AMA 10% ruling for muffled Profile planes.  The allowance of the FP.35 gave the easy ability to fly two events with one plane. All racing events in the NW and elsewhere also state contest provided fuel.  The reason for contest provided fuel was to once again keep the playing field level for all competitors. Somehow the oil percentage has led to some people having a problem with it.  Perhaps allowing 10% nitro with your own oil content would solve your problem. Honor system of course is a given. With that said I have to say that I am envious of your building and flying ability

I have witnessed competitors not using contest provided fuel.  It might be a case of sticky wicket to challenge  that person particularly if a record is broken. Luckily the competitors were not in that sorry position.  Rules are inserted for a reason, not a whim, and should be followed.  I somehow flew a plane at the Portland contest last April and then realized I had not had that plane pull tested.  I offered to have my flights with that plane DQ'd, but nobody was willing to do that. That was wrong. Minor perhaps, and it certainly didn't change the fact that my scores for that day were abysmal, but what about the possibility (meager to be sure) that I had a placing score with an illegal plane?

Joe Just
The question of sticking with the rules as written are serious, and should not be overlooked because one doesn't like the rule.
Joe

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »
The question of sticking with the rules as written are serious, and should not be overlooked because one doesn't like the rule.
Joe

This is a good point and well taken.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here