News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:23:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How about this?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How about this?
« on: May 14, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
Leave Sportsman as is.  Add NW 40 to the Sportsman  top 20 listing with an asterex showing that the entry is NW 40.?  The current record in NW 40 is slightly over 210, or there abouts.  With that, guys/gals competing in scheduled Sportsman events (Like at Brodak's) will have the opportunity to have their scores shown as will Guys/gals flying NW 40 elsewhere.  This way nothing much really changes.  What do you think?
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: How about this?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »
That can work.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Jim Roselle

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
Why not just have a NW 40 top twenty?

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
     That can work? Wouldn't you have to make NWS40 a beginner event if you joined it with Spotsman. Or is the " You cant fly AMA profile carrier and sportsman in the same contest" cover  that? I think John V said we could just add a now column to the top 20 section for NWS40?
Eric

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
Eric
Yes that is what I said, just add nws40 to the list of events on the top 20.
John

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »
Do we really want yet another unofficial event?  Where or when does adding a new event stop?  One of my very good friends (Yea I do have a few) that flys only PA laughs about Carrier having 15 events and only 10 guys entering the Nat's. (Now, and I may loose that friend by asking...How many unofficial events does PA have?) Any way, keeping NW Sport 40 Carrier limited to us bottom feeders may help the NCS grow, and who knows what that might mean to competition in the next few years..
Joe

BTW one more than one of my beginner stunt planes is the decal that lists the "Bottom Feeders Manifesto"

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »
Joe
I am having trouble following the logic. You guys have a successful event right? Why the desire to mix it with other events? Why not just fly and have fun. It is a hobby right?

By the way if the PA guys get on you to much, look at all the different ones they have a Brodak's. And most of the carrier fliers at Brodak's also fly stunt, heck I even have flown stunt there.

John

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:29:07 PM »
     Joe, we got all of those (13) because that was what everyone was saying they wanted and if we had those events then they would come back to carrier and fly those events. At the time we had the AMA events (3) plus .15, and Skyray. People kept telling the NCS that the old way was so much better than the new way and that was why so few were flying carrier. So Dick Perry and several others got together and came up with a list of I think 138 nostalgia planes so these people would come back to carrier. Did they, NO. The few people that were flying the AMA events built new nostalgia planes or brought back old ones from years ago and started flying them because they so loved carrier. Then there was also the few that kept saying that the NCS had missed some of the better nostalgia planes so they weren't going to fly so then the NCS said bring your plane with documentation and we will let you fly, did they show up, NO. So we just keep adding events hoping people wouldl come back or new ones show up. There does seem to be interest in the NWS40 event so I think we need to give it a try to see how many people enter the event.
Eric

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 07:19:14 AM »
My response "That can work." was made so with an open mind.

I researched NW40 on Flying Lines by reading the rules, commentary, and reviewing contest results. Then I did the same for Sportsman both by looking at NCS archive documents, and also by visiting the Brodak Fly-In web site for the same thing; rules and all 13 years of results that were posted.

Two things became obvious. First, the stated governing philosophies in each reference are for all intent and purposes identical, namely to provide an alternative to the all out competitive nature of AMA Profile Carrier for those who, for whatever reason, do not wish to compete at that level. As I understand Joe's proposal, he wants to protect that philosophy.

Second, with only a single exception a NW40 model is a Profile Carrier model. That exception is a spec .40 R/C engine that in reality does not put out any more power than an average .35, and probably less. Also, NW40 models can not have sliders.

In terms of scoring potential, a well flown NW40 will do 190 - 195 on average. That would place it in the middle of Sportsman so they would not upset the competitive balance. The attached picture is a GS(Brodak) Skyraider built by Mike Potter for NW40. He scored a 191.70, which was good for 2nd, at the recent Jim Walker meet. What's not to like.

There would have to be a way to make sure that the NW40 pilots fit into the Sportsman division, as called for by the rules. Unfortunately, apparently no one wants to fly AMA Profile Carrier in the region and it is not supported by the Northwest organization. Some other way would have to be worked out other than by using entry in AMA Profile as the deciding factor.

Finally, I saw this as an opportunity for the Navy Carrier Society to become more involved in the Northwest. It's our role as the C/L Navy Carrier SIG to promote what we like to fly. It honestly seemed pretty straightforward.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:42:09 AM by Bob Heywood »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
The principle difference between NW40 and AMA Profile is that NW40 is flown with engines that people can buy today. 
AMA Profile is dominated by a few special engines built decades ago that nobody else can get today.
So let AMA Profile become and "old time" event for the few guys who want take it to the grave and let NW40, or better yet, stock 25, become the new standard.
Paul Smith

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 05:50:14 PM »
The principle difference between NW40 and AMA Profile is that NW40 is flown with engines that people can buy today. 
AMA Profile is dominated by a few special engines built decades ago that nobody else can get today.
So let AMA Profile become and "old time" event for the few guys who want take it to the grave and let NW40, or better yet, stock 25, become the new standard.

Couldn't be more wrong. Call Henry he will sell you a brand new engine or find a used 40 and send it to him, he will convert it to a 36.......EVEN THE SUPER EVIL REVERSE ROTATION..........GASP!!!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »
I vote for adding NW .40 Carrier into the top 20. Leave Sportsman Carrier alone. The oft stated rational for Sportsman Carrier is to prepare fliers for the higher competitive level of full-boat (unintentional pun) profile carrier. That rational has been given as a reason for allowing prop hanging/line sliders and hot  unmuffled .36 engines in this class.
NW .40 is different; mild engines w/ muffler, no hanging, (even though it can be done) and ground adjustable only leadouts. I have entered both and at this time, prefer NW Sportsman (fly fast...kinda,  fly slow...sorta, but that 100 pt. landing, that's payoff!). It is the perfect event for a beginner or someone (like myself) who concentrates most of his modeling and flying time on another even but still cannot get carrier out of his system. If recognized, it will grow.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »
Well said Pete!  After lookin g at the number of people that have looked at the last two threads I'm  inking there must be gobs of folks kin d of interested in an easier profile class, but most lookers seems not willing to give us their thoughts. Really please for somebody that has flown the NW 40 event to be so positive.
I think what we will wind up with is NW Spot 40 added to the top 20 listing, particularly if NW 40 remains as an event  intended for some that might not want to "push the envelope" of Profile competition.

Joe

BTW, I will now offer a good prize to the person placing at # 20 in the new  (if it ever gets started) listing for 2017

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »
Couldn't be more wrong. Call Henry he will sell you a brand new engine or find a used 40 and send it to him, he will convert it to a 36.......EVEN THE SUPER EVIL REVERSE ROTATION..........GASP!!!

That's one approach.  What maybe $1,000 per engine?  Or just amend the rules to something off-the-shelf for under $100.  One scheme keeps the few top dogs on top.  The other might actually bring in a few new guys.
Paul Smith

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »
     Paul, how about giving us a list of engines .40 down to .15 that we can buy "off the shelf" at the present time.
Eric

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 07:28:36 AM »
How many good .36 combat engines are stuffed into drawers and closets these days for lack of something to use them on?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here