News:

• May 14, 2024, 10:57:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Horsepower  (Read 813 times)

Offline Bob Heywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Horsepower
« on: September 25, 2012, 06:44:21 AM »
Would anyone venture to estimate the peak power delivered by a .36, .40, & .65 recips as used in Carrier?

Thanks.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
Re: Horsepower
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:04 PM »
     I could venture some estimates on all three but they wouldn't be accurate but then if you didn't like them I could venture some more. Now you know how I feel about most of the advertised figures you see now and then put out by some not so clever PR guy or the sales department. If you are looking for which engine will allow you to place as high as possible in a carrier contest then use what the top drivers are using and don't waste your time on anything else. Time is your most precious commodity.  Eric
Eric

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:14:52 PM »
As stated, if you want to try and beat the experts and have the money,  get the best there is available and practice.   Or you can do like Billy B. and work with what you have and practice.   He makes it look so easy. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »
Thanks, Doc. As for the horsepower issue, I hate to answer a question with a question, but here goes. What is your purpose in asking? Is it purely academic, or are you looking to compare various engines? If you check my previous post about carrier engine testing, you can see some RPM and airspeed data, all timed on the same model. As a bit of supplemental data, my first-string 36's will top 18,000 on the ground (APC 9x6), and if the stars are aligned I can go under 19 flat in high speed. This is on open exhaust, so I don't get the big rpm gain in the air like Eric and Burt might get with their tuned mufflers. It is also not on the same airplane. On my scale class airplanes, I don't have any RPM numbers in the ol' memory bank.

Of course in carrier we don't measure RPM or horsepower, only flight performance. Lots of factors can affect high speed, and the most power doesn't guarantee the fastest airplane. It takes the right prop to convert horsepower into speed, it takes good fuel system geometry to get off the deck strong and maintain a good setting in the air, it takes a properly aligned airplane to track straight and fly smoothly... I'm not telling you anything new.

If you really want actual horsepower numbers on engines that you have in your possession, contact Frank Williams. About 20 years ago, Frank made a series of test props by cutting down various Master Airscrews,running them on a variable speed electric motor on a torque stand, and was able to derive RPM vs horsepower charts for each test prop. If you ran a series of different test props and checked their peak RPM's, you could draw your own horsepower curves. It's an interesting exercise for its own sake, but I'm not sure how much it would help your carrier plane go faster.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 05:49:05 AM »
First off, I wasn't trying to pull any tricks, or any such thing.

I'm an engineer by profession, which may be dangerous in its own right, and am beginning to look at ePower. I realize that there has been a good bit of effort put forth on ePower for Carrier but from what I have read there is little in the way of hard data published supporting the performance of these models. I would like to develop some design data for one of these things before going out and buying something and figured it all relates to horsepower. 1HP = 746 watts.

The only reasonable numbers I have are from 11cc model boats, and that data is extrapolated a bit. These engines can make about 6 hp running flat out. From that I can make some educated guesses on a CL II model, but the rest would be pure speculation.

I asked the question because one never knows what's out there unless you ask, that's all.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:17:33 AM »
Many years ago Glen Dye would test motors using calibrated test props from Kavan. I recall his standard for a .65 for carrier was about 4 hp. These were open exhaust, fairly lightweight cases. This might be appropriate for the Webra Speed .61 RR that I have been running since 1975. The Rossi .65s that Bill Melton ran would produce more (at the expense of greater weight and perhaps less reliability and controllability,) and the boat motors with pipes much more. So I estimate that a 4 hp Class 2 could be competitive, but have less power than some other available engines. I have found that reliability and controllability would often make up for a little less power. If I can get close to 4hp output from an electric setup (not yet accomplished in a reasonable package) with reliability and controllability then I should be able to match my gas airplane performance. If I could get, as a guess, 5 hp, then I could match Bill Melton's Rossis.
I don't have similar thoughts about the smaller engines but might scale them by displacement. The modern engines (Nelsons with mufflers) are off the curve of the older engines I am talking about as the high speeds from Eric and Burt are showing.
Buy the way, the reliability and controllability of the electrics has not yet reached that of my old Webra, but might after a little more work.
Pete

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
Pete,

Thanks for your input. I agree with your estimates on the CL II engines.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
I would think that that the E-props are more efficient due to a thinner profile and design. This could make a difference in thrust for the same spec. prop.?

AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »
I would think that that the E-props are more efficient due to a thinner profile and design. This could make a difference in thrust for the same spec. prop.?

Don't forget that at least one "e-prop" manufacturer specifically states not for IC engine use.  That's due to the thin, light. hubs being susceptible to vibration failure.  Looking for a little thrust might get you undesired results.  Single blade props vibrate a lot!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here