News:

• May 22, 2024, 10:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hanging has been around for decades  (Read 3107 times)

Offline BillCalkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Hanging has been around for decades
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »
Captain Eric Brown did it with the Sea Mosquito.
http://carrier-deck.com/?page_id=3645

Bill

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hanging has been around for decades
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:39:26 AM »
Before the politicians stepped in and shut down the old Naval Base in Olathe KANSAS there used to be annual air shows.  I remember a navy pilot flying the solo demo with his jet.  He went full length of the crowd with gear, flaps and hook down.   He was in excess of 30 degrees but now where near the 60 degrees.   There was a lot of thrust coming out the tail end of the jet and was loud.   No it was not a Harrier.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Hanging has been around for decades
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »
Check this video of the first Mossie landing, Eric is approaching behind the power curve on purpose, but the "hanging" is in small degrees for straight wing airplanes. A few degrees more than a typical approach, just about the same for a three point touchdown. This is a lot for a heavy airplane, very well flown. A lot I say because of the consequences of anything going wrong, like an engine failure or just the airplane starting to go the wrong direction and the need for gross correction, would be fatal. The Hornet was lighter, had a narrow fuselage with a bubble canopy right up front, and counter-rotating engines and props for the easing of the problems of operating the Mossie shipboard.
Check it at 26:09

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here