News:

• May 08, 2024, 12:41:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Props  (Read 580 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electric Props
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:42:36 AM »
There has been dicussion about how to make electric and IC power plants on an even keel.  In other words, what electric motor is equal to a internal combustion .60 or .40.   How about if the electric is required to run same props as the ic engines.  Just a thought from an old man. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
Re: Electric Props
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »
It's an interesting idea to restrict props, but I don't think it would have much effect. I have found that the lighter electric props reduce vibration problems but don't necessarily improve performance. I use the standard "glow props" on my eSkyray, eClass 2, and sometimes eProfile.
It's still a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist. All my glow engines have more power that all my electric motors in the corresponding classes. And I end up against the weight limit in all classes, so a bigger motor can't be added. If I could learn to build lighter airframes, I would add more batteries to extend the low speed times rather than going for a heavier motor.

Pete

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »
I use a Glow APC 10X8 on my e-profile. I have used an electric on my e.15, will normally go with the glow props. I don't think restriction props makes sense. With electric it has to do with how much power you are using. The current weight limits try to make the two types equal. But as pete said the weight limit comes up fast unless you build light. I haven't thought of anything better yet.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:03:38 PM »
I have been flying my Great Planes Combat RC ARF Spitfire lately with some electric power to compare several electric motors. The Spitfire has a 38" span and comes in at 3.5 lbs

I built the model with a OS-35FP originally and it has lots of power, maybe not enough for carrier but way more than I need for CL scale

Then I installed an E-Flite E10, with a 3S battery and an 11" APC electric prop...the performance let's say was lackluster at best, even from a CL scale point of view it was underpowered...but still wanted to know what the E10 could do. The max number of cells on the E10 per specification is an 3S.

Then I installed the E25 with the same electric APC prop and 3S battery, slight improvement but not much improvement. Remember the E25 is rated for a 3S or a 4S. This combination was still underpowered from a CL scale point of view, and way underpowered from a CL carrier point of view. This combination flew at cruise at about 2/3 power. So that combination was ruled out.

Then I installed a 4S battery on the E25, with the same prop and it had alot more power, way more than I would need for CL scale project I am building so that is what will be installed on that project. This combination flew at cruise at 1/3 to 1/2 power, at full power it had some speed, not enough for CL carrier but enough for CL scale.

What I have learned is that the power that you get out any given electric motor varies depending upon what battery and some degree what diameter of prop you use. My watt meter has been very handy to help determine what prop diameter is best suited for power or to lower the amp draw.

I think the battery we choose to use has a bigger affect on the power output than the prop that is selected.

Trying to nail down a electric motor that is equal to a .40 or .60 is diffiicult to do, there to too many variables that can change the power output such as battery voltage and prop diameter.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
I have been flying my Great Planes Combat RC ARF Spitfire lately with some electric power to compare several electric motors. The Spitfire has a 38" span and comes in at 3.5 lbs

I built the model with a OS-35FP originally and it has lots of power, maybe not enough for carrier but way more than I need for CL scale

Then I installed an E-Flite E10, with a 3S battery and an 11" APC electric prop...the performance let's say was lackluster at best, even from a CL scale point of view it was underpowered...but still wanted to know what the E10 could do. The max number of cells on the E10 per specification is an 3S.

Then I installed the E25 with the same electric APC prop and 3S battery, slight improvement but not much improvement. Remember the E25 is rated for a 3S or a 4S. This combination was still underpowered from a CL scale point of view, and way underpowered from a CL carrier point of view. This combination flew at cruise at about 2/3 power. So that combination was ruled out.

Then I installed a 4S battery on the E25, with the same prop and it had alot more power, way more than I would need for CL scale project I am building so that is what will be installed on that project. This combination flew at cruise at 1/3 to 1/2 power, at full power it had some speed, not enough for CL carrier but enough for CL scale.

What I have learned is that the power that you get out any given electric motor varies depending upon what battery and some degree what diameter of prop you use. My watt meter has been very handy to help determine what prop diameter is best suited for power or to lower the amp draw.

I think the battery we choose to use has a bigger affect on the power output than the prop that is selected.

Trying to nail down a electric motor that is equal to a .40 or .60 is diffiicult to do, there to too many variables that can change the power output such as battery voltage and prop diameter.

Did you select a prop pitch that loaded the E10 motor to it's full power?  Did you try a smaller prop at that power level?  The smaller diameter, higher pitch prop should give less acceleration, but more speed.

If I'm getting my numbers right, going to four cells from three with the E25 motor, without changing the prop, should have loaded the motor up to 2.35 times the power level.  If that's the case, then it's not at all surprising that it went way faster.

I fly a 50oz RC plane with an eFlight 25 on a 3S pack, and I've had to purposely under-prop it -- when we were flying with the closest we could get to the recommended prop with the landing gear length available, we never got above 1/3 throttle unless we were really feeling our oats.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
Comparing Electric to Glow engines is like comparing horse power ratings on auto engines.

Back in 1968 I bought an International Travelall rated at 192 HP to pull my travel trailer with.  At every Camp Ground we stopped at the discussion on Horse power came up.  At one place in Ohio a fellow was trying to impress everyone with his 300 HP Buick tow car.  When we started to leave the next morning, he passed me on the flat section of the exit road.  We then made a hard turn and started a climb up to the office.  Yep, Beep Beep and I passed him.  At the office he asked how my 192 HP could out pull his 300 HP.  I said it was easy to explain, he has 300 Shetlands and I have 192 Clidesdales.  I did not mention the 420 Pounds Foot of torque I had available.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here