News:

• May 13, 2024, 01:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FYI - New Kingfisher kit coming.  (Read 5609 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: FYI - New Kingfisher kit coming.
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2012, 10:01:56 AM »
Looks like floats but great pic. Maybe end controversy by kitting Larry's TBM instead of the Kingfisher?  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »
Those are all float equipped with shore dollies (or whatever the Navy called them) used for ground handling.

...but that Carrier picture qualifies it, along with the exceptions in rule 8.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
I haven't been trying to disqualify the Kingfisher! I've been trying to be sure it did qualify with out any question.I think the Kodiak story does that. I've never built a Kingfisher but when the kit comes out I may build one for North west Sport 40.
Looks like Joe got the 10% contest supplied fuel passed for NW Sport40, so I won't need to buy fuel. Hope they don't have some old cans of Blueblazer laying around at the local hobby shop they want to get rid of cheap!

Mike
mike potter

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean for that post to seem as harsh as it may have read. Actually, I wondered about that myself. Now I'm wondering if my "Spearfish" with its Hershey-bar wing will be eligible for those 10 scale points. I guess it will depend on the CD.

As far as NW carrier is concerned, glad the 10% nitro rule passed but would not have a problem with each contested supplying there own fuel...honor system and all that. Hopefully the supplied fuel will be Powermaster/GMA 11/11 or something similar. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2012, 05:57:44 PM »
Bill, which OS carb?   Have an EVO .36 I got for a bid on the bay.   H^^

I used the OS 4BK carburetor, which came on the 40 and 45 FSR. The 4B is functionally identical, but used a different casting. The 3H carb from the 32F would also fit, but it has a little smaller intake bore and would cost some RPM. The OS 4D is basically the same as the 4BK, but with a fatter neck (.530" instead of .510"). It could be turned town to fit.

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2012, 11:36:30 PM »
Mike,

Perhaps someone has a complete enough library of the NCS newsletter and can find the reference.  Questions about the Kingfisher's eligibility for scale points came up years ago.  One of the Pacific NW folks (and I can't remember who) served on one of the carriers that used the Kingfisher with the wheel landing gear.  His report of personally observing the aircraft conducting operations, including landings, was the original basis for accepting the Kingfisher as eligible for scale points.

Dave

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2012, 12:11:40 AM »
Dick Perry makes reference to this story in the build article for his version of the Kingfisher. It is one of the deciding factors in his belief that the Kingfisher is legal for the event. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2012, 08:38:02 AM »
After all these years ofthe design eing flown in carrier, all classes, how could any one protest? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Joe Just

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »
Mike,

Perhaps someone has a complete enough library of the NCS newsletter and can find the reference.  Questions about the Kingfisher's eligibility for scale points came up years ago.  One of the Pacific NW folks (and I can't remember who) served on one of the carriers that used the Kingfisher with the wheel landing gear.  His report of personally observing the aircraft conducting operations, including landings, was the original basis for accepting the Kingfisher as eligible for scale points.

Dave
The gentleman was Bill Skelton who passed away in the late 80's.  I had the issue of HLL in which he noted the Kingfisher, but the entire collection of these and other Carrier items was lost when we moved here in the mid 90's. I mentioned this in an ealier thread.  At one time there was a 'Bill Skelton" memorial award given each year to a qualifying Carrier participant here in the NW, but somehow that too has fallen away and is no longer given out. Tempis Fugit I guess.
Joe

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »
I believe the AMA library has a complete set of Hi- Low News. At least they did a few years ago.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here