News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:24:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Carrier Ship  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
First Carrier Ship
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
This is the first Carrier ship I have built since before the Chicopee MA NATS. I will be loosening up my response time with this guy! The F-8 box has been in the dark for about 30 years in the closet. I do not remember when or where I got it. The tag said $9.50. I passed on this kit for the newer G&S Hellcat in order to use it at the NATS. Had a 5.8 K&B that I wish I still owned. This is the F-8 Crusader by Dumas which I have updated a little. Modified the anhedral to be more flat but still present. Realigned the bellcrank and stab to be in line with the thrust line and bellcrank located outside. Added a rudder offset.
 :!
Never even looked at this kit until I opened the box last week!!! n~ Very unusual way of building a wing... I will be able to bounce this guy off the deck!!!! I do not have any hot engine left so I got the EVO 36 R/C. Opening in carb is huge, so it will be interesting to play with. I do not like to add more linkages to I tend to use the throttle rod direct to the carb. Will be using the slider on wing bottom. Lines will be straight from the bellcrank out. I saw the kit has BC on top of TL and inside of wing with angled exit from wingtip. NO LIKE. I like to have zero load on control wires other than pull load. BC is ahead of location in plans. Just barely with wires inside wing leading root chord. We'll see if I can fly Carrier again... H^^ Some photos...

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: First Carrier Ship
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
another

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
More

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »
The bellcrank location...

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
6-32 horn. I've had horns stuck on arresting cables with half elevator torn off. Never put elevator horns on the bottom!!! HB~> HB~> I AM THAT BAD...

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 03:12:01 PM »
LOVE THE STUFF Brodak carries! I do not know if PolySpan is similar. But this goes on just like you would do with silk and it STRETCHES with a blow drier or a heat gun!!! #^ y1

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:43:44 PM »
Check out my previous post "Dumas Crusader for nostalgia profile". Looks like we've made some of the same mod's.
I could never get off the ground cleanly with the EVO 36 carb; it always sagged on takeoff. (Different airplane) I replaced it with an OS 4BK carb.

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
Check out my previous post "Dumas Crusader for nostalgia profile". Looks like we've made some of the same mod's.
I could never get off the ground cleanly with the EVO 36 carb; it always sagged on takeoff. (Different airplane) I replaced it with an OS 4BK carb.
OMG!!! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ I hope mine looks 1/8 as beautiful as yours! I guess I can be still current after 20+ years!!! #^ #^
You had problems with the Evo? Is the OS 4BK smaller in venturi size? Have not even run it yet. Still in the box. I am planning to use it in Profile Carrier. I will be using a line slider...I  can't believe that I am in sync with the group...Your Crusader will be flying with mine if you attend Brodak's... Wouldn't it be wonderful if we fly in formation? Wow...
 D>K The only time for me with someone in a circle is when they are trying to chew my tail... LL~ LL~
I read all of your post. Thank you , Bill

H^^

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »
Dont hurry, I,ll be down to Jims next week. gota see it.   Darn snow.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »
Rafael ,

As Bill points out some of these new RC carbs have trouble when wide open. If you are coming to Brodaks we allow muffler pressure in Sportman.

john

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but check out my post "carrier engine testing." The OS 4BK fits the same size hole as the Evolution carb, but with the spray bar all the way across the venturi opening, it seems to have better fuel draw. You will pay a 100 rpm penalty, but more than make up for it with a "no-falter" takeoff.

If you don't have a 4BK in your stash, watch ebay for a cheap OS 40 FSR. I think there's one on there now with a buy it now price of $35.00. Keep the OS carb, put the Evolution carb on the OS, and re-sell it!

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:17 AM »
That looks great so far. I started building a profile Corsair II a few years ago and had it into paint when it was stolen along with my car and never seen again. Damn shame.

It was for Profile Scale rather than Carrier, so was more scale-accurate than usual and had solid balsa wings.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 04:24:05 AM »
Rafael, Bill is right. The O S 4 BK is the only way to travel. I use them on my K&B 40 Class 1 and my Irvine .36 in profile. Solves a lot of problems and don't need pressure. Good Luck
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »
BURIED IN HERE +/- 28 in.!!! Won't be flying until MAY!!!  @@^  HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>
I'll look for a 4BK.. Thank you guys!

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »
Alright TY!!! Let's have three in the air!! We got throttle so we can stay safely close!!!! #^ ~> y1 Oh yeah y1 Oh yeah! y1 LL~ I'm all for it...It's slower than flying combat...

Bill, how do you use those color coded bellcrank connectors. Do you have a special eyelet  on your lines? No leadouts? They look awesome. I would like to experiment with that!!
Trying to catch up here...

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »
Yay! %^@ More shameless self promotion! On page 3 of the carrier forum, check my post "attaching lines to bellcranks".

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 01:08:48 AM »
Yay! %^@ More shameless self promotion! On page 3 of the carrier forum, check my post "attaching lines to bellcranks".

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here