News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: F7F Tigercat colors  (Read 2422 times)

Joe Just

• Trade Count: (0)
F7F Tigercat colors
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »
Somewhere i have seen a "Tigercat" in all yellow paint, but I can't find it.  Also, while I'm at it in some old (circa 1990...?)  Hig Low newsletters I remember seeing a subject that mentioned any "All White, All Black, All Blue etc Carrier models fullfill the painting requirement.  If that is the case, an all White F7F with proper Navy insignia would be elligible for the scale points. How about blue body with all yellow wings? Comments? Pictures? anyone?
Joe

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: F7F Tigercat colors
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »
Joe,
This site has the yellow wing and all yellow, just profile view though
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f 
john

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
If anyone has a "F7F Tigercat In Action" book it has all of the paint schemes for a Tigercat. You dont have to have an actual Tigercat paint scheme to get bonus points, it just needs to be a military paint scheme. There was an all yellow one, it was basically a giant R/C plane. there was also ont that had a blue fuse with a yellow wing and tail, and orange stripes on the wings with an orange rudder too. That is where I got the scheme for my Skyray. If I can find a pic I will post it otherwise it will have to wait until I get home. The first 2 prototypes were all aluminum finish.  I will find the book when I get home also and post a pic of the schemes.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »
The Squadron F7F Tigercat in Action is a good color reference for the Tigercat.  Among the 10 profile color views, it shows the all yellow version that was developed as a drone.  It also show the drone control aircraft that had the yellow wings and vertical tail with red chord-wise stripes on the wing and rudder showing a version with an added Bearcat canopy behind the pilot's canopy for the controller of the drones.  Also shown is the prototype in all aluminum.  These publications show up on e-bay from time to time and also on Amazon.  Worth a look.

You might check with your local Barnes and Noble bookstore.  The current issue of the British publication for plastic enthusiasts, Scale Aircraft Modelling, January 2013, has a 13 page article on the Tigercat including 6 pages of color profile illustrations. including 31 color side profiles.  This also shows the all yellow version, several versions of the drone controllers with the yellow wings including several without the added Bearcat canopy.  Several civilian versions are shown including an all red one with white trim and the several that eventually went into service as fire water bombers with several paint schemes.  Also included are color top views for the different color schems.  If you have a file on the Tigercats, this is well worth adding to your library.

In fact, e-Bay has several listings for the Squadron publication.  This one is the cheapest "buy it now" listing and is a good price compared to what some of these things get bids for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grumman-F7F-Tigercat-in-ActionSquadron-Signal-Book-1079-Like-New-/321070084732?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item4ac144b27c

Keith
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:14:18 PM by Trostle »

Joe Just

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »
Thanks Keith, Bought the book. Not to sure what color I will paint my Tigercat, but I am leaning to all yellow. By the way, as a two time ED for Carrier at the  AMA Nat's I am very familiar with the "any military color or markings.  The only time I had to make a decision was an all White MO-1 with a bright Orange cowl and tail feathers, like many of the Marine aircraft of recent years.  It was passed because of the way the ruling is written, but it sure looked rather strange.
Joe

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:32:40 PM »
Thanks Keith, Bought the book. Not to sure what color I will paint my Tigercat, but I am leaning to all yellow. Joe

Glad to help.  If you are interested, when you get that Squadron book, the all yellow Tigercat shows only the national star and bar insignia.  The SAM magazine shows the letters on the vertical tail "NATC" for the Naval Air Test Center and also show "336" on the nose, neither shown on the Squadron profile.  One more comment about the SAM article, many of the photographs are in color, one with the drone controller with the Bearcat canopy but none with the yellow color scheme.

I know it would not be of much use for the Carrier competition, but I have several color photographs of two of the civilian Tigercats right after they were given their red, black and white paint schems and before they had the huge water tank installed on the bottom of the fuselage.  The all red scheme shown in the SAM article is quite striking.

Good luck.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here