News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Carrier Plane  (Read 852 times)

Offline Roy Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
First Carrier Plane
« on: March 14, 2023, 03:54:56 PM »
I'm in the process of building a Dumas Crusader because I was given the kit by an old friend and I have a good engine for it. I'm not looking at competing with it my goal is to use it as a carrier trainer. I have a L_R Products bellcrank assembly which matches the plans and a G_S 3 line handle. The question is in the normal course of flying which way on the top trigger is full throttle? Pull back or relax forward.

Thanks,

Roy

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: First Carrier Plane
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 05:19:09 PM »
There is no right or wrong. It's a matter of preference. I flew with forward on the lever being high throttle, similar to full-scale aircraft, but I was in the minority. When I built 2.4 ghz radio controlled throttle airplanes, they were set up for pulling the trigger for high throttle. The simplest test is to pick up the handle, and without thinking about it, tell yourself to go to full throttle and see what you do instinctively. There's your answer.

For the record, I have a detailed build thread on the Crusader in the carrier section. It was from 2011, so you'll have to go back a few pages. One thing I wish I had done was put strengthening strips between the top and bottom rib slices. The ribs have very little compressive strength, and over time I have cracked a couple of them.

Bill

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 06:51:18 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Your plane looks outstanding and I hope mine comes out as nice as that. I will take your advice on the ribs. One thing that stands out is that the kit is incredibly complex. The instructions suck. I’m sorta at the point where I’m going to give up on the instructions and just build it. My goal is to use it to learn to fly carrier not necessarily to compete. And if it works out let my little CL club members learn to fly carrier. I’ll definitely beef up the ribs and look at your build log . Thx

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 08:33:23 PM »
Where are you located?  Might be some carrier flyers near you. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 07:45:46 AM »
I have a friend who has flown CL for many years. When he first tried a CL model the up line was on the bottom of the handle and the down line was on the top side of the handle. He said to himself, ok I move my hand down to go up and opposite to go down. It's all what you get use to. to this day he still flies with up as moving the handle the opposite direction that almost every else does.

I switched to the electronic controls back in 1991 for throttle control (down the line controls) and then to 2.4 Ghz for throttle control in 2013

I also have a double size ringmaster that has an OS-90 four stroke for power with throttle control. We use a RC car transmitter with the trigger, I hold that in my left hand and operate the throttle with my left and fly the model with a traditional stunt handle and lines in my right hand.

For my scale models I have a belt clip for the RC transmitter so that I can operate the throttle stick and the toggle switches by feel with the transmitter securely clipped to by belt.

This is Pete Mazur's CL carrier handle. Not sure why he had the third line still there, you could do something similar and just fly with two lines, just a larger diameter than the 3-line requirement.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 07:54:37 AM »
If you are near the St Louis area we have a carrier deck at Buder. I can set it up with the ropes at our June 3rd CL Fun Fly. It is a concrete carrier deck

June 3, 2023 and Aug 12, 2023 - CL fun fly
Buder Park
Valley Park, MO
NE Intersection of Hwy 141 and I-44

Put this into google maps to see it's location:

38.541482, -90.490486

Speed circle is to the west, our paved flying circle to the east (Square pad)

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 11:13:47 AM »
I'm in the process of building a Dumas Crusader because I was given the kit by an old friend and I have a good engine for it. I'm not looking at competing with it my goal is to use it as a carrier trainer. I have a L_R Products bellcrank assembly which matches the plans and a G_S 3 line handle. The question is in the normal course of flying which way on the top trigger is full throttle? Pull back or relax forward.

Thanks,

Roy

The standard and prefered way is to PULL the trigger for high and push for low.  I've seen it done the opposite way, but PULL for high is prefered. 

Paul Smith

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 06:48:25 PM »
The standard and prefered way is to PULL the trigger for high and push for low.  I've seen it done the opposite way, but PULL for high is prefered.

Yes that’s what I came to while I’m messing with the handle.

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 06:53:46 PM »
Where are you located?  Might be some carrier flyers near you. D>K

Northern Va. Close to DC

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 08:30:39 AM »
Roy
 I sent a PM, we are south of Bowie MD at the  PGRC club. Several of us fly carrier.
John

Offline Jim Dross

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 08:13:14 PM »

I set all of my Old School Class 1 and 2 airplanes to Pull for Low Speed. A .65 Powered Class 2 on 60% Nitro Pulls like you are water skiing and takes both hands on the Handle. For Low speed it was easier for me to Pull the "Trigger" to slow it down and easier to "Blip the Throttle " when required. I set mine up like the Throttle on a full size airplane , Pull back for slow.  Set up what ever is the most comfortable for your style of flying.
  I forgot to mention that my "First Carrier Plane"  EXPLODED in Flight, On the Class 1 High Speed portion flying a Sterling Guardian ST G-40 on 60% the prop broke causing instant destruction of the airplane , balsa parts were every where.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 06:08:42 AM by Jim Dross »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here