News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New carrier plane- The P-51  (Read 940 times)

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
New carrier plane- The P-51
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:20:14 PM »
Well I tried to post this earlier and can't find it anywhere. So here it is again.  I'm feeling better know after my back surgery and have started a new NW Sport 40 carrier plane.  The last one sucked.  With any luck building and a the blessing from my doctor We will fly at the Regionals. If not I'll have to pit for my boys. :'( Here's what looks like so far.  Please be easy on me My building skills don't compare to most on this site.  This one should work better! >:D

Joe Just

Re: New carrier plane- The P-51
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »
Duke, so far it looks a heck of a lot better than my best ever! Tell us more!  Good luck at the Regionals. HAVE FUN!!
Joe

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
Looks great to me.  You should see some of mine before I get them covered up.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »
Joe/John
I'm sure you guy's are little humble. Thanks for your kind words.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
Duke

Looks very good, what kit, plan etc is it?

John

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »
Duke

Looks very good, what kit, plan etc is it?

John

Well, I had a set of Brodak P-51 ribs and drawings and Sterling P-51 plans that Pat Johnston converted for NW Sport 40 carrier.  The wing is the same except Pat's drawings had a solid L/E and T/E, which I didn't have.  And I had everything to build the wing per the Brodak plans, even laser cut ribs (bonus).  I'm going to top mount the bellcrank exposed per Bill Bishoff's advice. And of course for NW Sport 40, it gets a Tower Hobbies 40 or a OS 40 FP.

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
I'll say it looks nice. I tried fairing in the corners of my center sections at the leading edge and trailing edge of my planes but wasn't ever very good at it. It sure looks nice on your wing. I really like the NW Sport 40 event and will bring a plane this year to the NWR. I'm looking forward to meeting you and your sons.  Eric
Eric

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »
Eric
Thanks for the kind words.  That was the first time I tried to sheet the center section of a plane.  I'm not sure if I did it correctly or not.  I just found something about the right radius and traced it.  I had to cut a couple of tem twice, traced the corners in the wrong place. HB~>  I like the look but had never tried it.  I hope to meet you at Regionals, also.  Even if the mean doctor and/or wife makes me stay out of the circle. n1 That is mean doctor not wife.   ;D   I'm really looking forward the Reagional,  we have only been in C/L for about two years now and haven't gone, yet.  There's a few guys I plan on meeting there.  It sounds like a blast! HH%%

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
Duke, I hope to see you there.  I hope to see your kids there, flying beginner pattern (for that matter -- whycome you weren't flying beginner in April?).

Tell 'em to practice their upside-down flying.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
Duke, I hope to see you there.  I hope to see your kids there, flying beginner pattern (for that matter -- whycome you weren't flying beginner in April?).

Tell 'em to practice their upside-down flying.

Tim
Very funny.  I'm back to work now.  I've been holding back a little .  I had back surgery last wednesday and on the mend now.  The doctor says I might be able to fly at the Regionals.  And yes we should be there. we have a motel already.  And besides the oldest boy is better than I am at the pattern. HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here