News:

• May 14, 2024, 03:01:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Copying Joe  (Read 584 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Copying Joe
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:01:52 PM »
Thought the title might get people to look. To paraphrase Joe;
Now that there are official AMA classes for E carrier next year, who is going to build electric powered carrier models.
And is anyone planning a contest to include electrics?
If you have been reading the board you already know that Eric and I are building new  E models.

Happy New Year!

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
Re: Copying Joe
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
I am hoping to have electric models in all three classes if I can find the time to get that much done before the flying season.
In recent years in contests that I have participated in we have flown the electric events combined with the traditional carrier events at the Treetown (IL), FCM (IN), Sig (IA) and Fargo (ND) contests and as separate or non-rule-book events at Polk City (IA) and Phoenix (AZ) as well as at the Nats so I expect the electric carrier events to be continued at those contests. At the Nats they will be official, separate events. It remains to be seen if the other contests will have the gas and electric events separate or combined. My guess is that there will not be enough contestants if the events are flown separately so they are likely to be combined for 2013 except for Phoenix, which will probably have the events separated.
Pete 

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »
     The contest that I attend besides the scheduled events that usually place to third also let you fly what you bring and they then turn all the scores into the NCS for the top 20 events. Some even post all of the scores in their articles that accompany the results. Over all it helps the carrier efforts I think.
     OK John, I stole the thread right after Pete just to add to what Pete said. Matter a fact John I have started another e-MO-1 for CL-1 but it is going very slow (after all it is a MO-1) so was thinking not to even saying anything. I'm thinking maybe if we asked who was building a new IC entry for this years competition we would get more returns. Its always fun when someone come on and tells about their new build and why they chose the particular plane and if they are going to experiment some with the building. Its what its all about for me.  Eric
Eric

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »
OK, I'll chime in here -- I haven't had an electric Carrier plane for the last couple of years.  The last one was a Skyray (one of several) and it was never too reliable or consistent a performer.  To be fair, I never really invested much time, money or effort in it because, well because it was a Skyray and I just don't like them.  I keep one flying (a glow) just to help keep it going and to give Pete someone to beat with his electric one.  I have been toying with the idea of building a Brodak (Calkins) Guardian for electric if I can scrounge up the desire and money.  With the advent of 2.4 gHz, and the ease that affords in setting up a throttle or ESC, it is much more probable that I will go ahead with that.

My own efforts last year were on getting the Class 1 and Class 2 that I finished up last spring tuned in.  I am perfectly happy with the two engines but the planes needed more trimming and tuning than I had time to devote, so besides the Hellcat in the 2.4 gHz thread, I will be redoing the controls on those two - probably to re-doing them for 2.4 gHz also.

As for our contest (Polk City, IA) we have allowed electrics to compete in the normal classes since NCS adopted the definitions a couple of years ago.  Or, we have allowed them to compete in our NCS Sport event (run what you brung, % of last years top 20) or both.  Or just fly them for top 20 scoring.  Whatever it takes to keep the deck hopping.

So, who else is doing what?
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
Since I started this thread, here are my projects.
1. Seafire Profile AMA Carrier
2. Vickers Viero - Scale Carrier.  Both were started last year. The Seafire is all foam and is simply a blown up copy of my 15 profile. The Viero is a hybrid, balsa/ply fuselage, foam wing and tail. Both of these were started last year, and are far enough along to be completed in time for the contest season. Both will use 2.4Ghz control
3. Of course there is my all foam F4U. it won’t be competitive as a scale carrier plane but would be legal.

At Brodak’s we have allowed electrics in 15 and Sportsman for the past two years. Currently no plans to add to the AMA classes but it will be discussed.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here