News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:07:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Change of Command  (Read 840 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Change of Command
« on: May 18, 2023, 12:58:05 PM »
Just fished reading my Model Aviation for June.  Dick Perry has taken the reins again in the magazine for us carrier pilots.  Good info on the control set up systems. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bdt-m

• Lieutenant
Re: Change of Command
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 11:08:26 AM »
Just fished reading my Model Aviation for June.  Dick Perry has taken the reins again in the magazine for us carrier pilots.  Good info on the control set up systems. D>K

Call me old-school; can't see carrier as either Electric or 2.4 ghz....NOT for me.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 08:17:10 AM »
As I have gotten older, going electric has extended my ability to fly. 2.4 control is easier to set up (in other words takes less time) and motors are safer because you don't have to be near the prop.

Offline bdt-m

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 04:49:44 PM »
As I have gotten older, going electric has extended my ability to fly. 2.4 control is easier to set up (in other words takes less time) and motors are safer because you don't have to be near the prop.
From that perspective, Electric makes a lot more sense. I see the reasoning for electric carrier.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 06:06:52 PM »
From that perspective, Electric makes a lot more sense. I see the reasoning for electric carrier.

By that logic, motorcycles beat horse racing and jet skis are better than swimming.

Sure, electric is great for those who fear the risk of getting a piston engine to go fast and throttle down without quitting.
Paul Smith

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 06:16:30 PM »
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss 2.4. It's lots easier to set up, and it's nice to ALWAYS have throttle control. My only complaint was the different feel of the handle after 25+ years of flying 3 line systems. If you use the batteries as part of your tip weight, there really isn't a weight penalty, plus it's actually less expensive that a three line system. As a guy who likes to mess with engines, I'm not really interested in electric, though. Here's a simple 2.4 installation.

Offline bdt-m

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 06:33:51 PM »
Understand the draw towards 'E' carrier; easier, less cost, "always" throttle response, better suited at an older age, ect....just doesn't have the feel, or appeal for me. I like the smell, feel, and power of IC engines, for me it's part of the overall CL & Carrier experience.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 07:25:50 AM »
By that logic, motorcycles beat horse racing and jet skis are better than swimming.

Sure, electric is great for those who fear the risk of getting a piston engine to go fast and throttle down without quitting.
Fear, really Paul. You might want to rethink that. Look at who has both glow and electric records.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 12:46:22 PM »
Records only matter in the six Rule Book events.  The separation of powers is correct as it is.

I AM concerned about the injection or electric into two non-rule book events that were created to give people an option to avoid the obsolete thinking of the 1976 AMA Rule Book.

Electrics clearly have an unfair advantage when the speed is capped at 70 MPH (15) and 75 MPH (Skyray) thereby nullifying to power of the piston.  To make matters even worse (if such a thing is conceivable) piston engines are subjected to crippling limitations while electric power is totally unlimited.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 01:01:23 PM »
Records only matter in the six Rule Book events.  The separation of powers is correct as it is.

I AM concerned about the injection or electric into two non-rule book events that were created to give people an option to avoid the obsolete thinking of the 1976 AMA Rule Book.

Electrics clearly have an unfair advantage when the speed is capped at 70 MPH (15) and 75 MPH (Skyray) thereby nullifying to power of the piston.  To make matters even worse (if such a thing is conceivable) piston engines are subjected to crippling limitations while electric power is totally unlimited.

Not quite so...

The weight limit for ePower has proven to put electrics right on the edge of range to complete the flight. Slow Flight, as it is done these days, draws a significant chunk of available battery capacity. With no similar limitation, fuel powered recips can just put on a larger tank.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 01:16:49 PM »
If they did not believe they could gain advantage, the electcricuters would not be invading the events.  The reason they picked on Skyray and 15 Class is the speed limit that handcuffs the piston while just meeting the natural limit of electric.  While I must guard against engine failure at low speed, they can stop the motor and restart it at will.

The weight limit is a farce. The weight limits are so high for both piston and electric they are not limits at all. 

Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 01:18:59 PM »
Not quite so...

The weight limit for ePower has proven to put electrics right on the edge of range to complete the flight. Slow Flight, as it is done these days, draws a significant chunk of available battery capacity. With no similar limitation, fuel powered recips can just put on a larger tank.

Of course, if the 30 degree rule passes, low speed fuel or battery capacity will cease to be an issue.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2023, 01:39:32 PM »
Not quite so...

The fallacy in this argument is the difference between the AMA "slide-and-hover" events and the lounge acts, 15 and Skyray.  The winners do 4-to-5 minutes of low speed in the Rule Book events, so battery charge and fuel capacity comes into play.  But in the fixed leadout classes two minutes is routine and three minutes is a dream, so fuel/charge capacity is not the limiting factor.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 06:15:48 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here