Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Carrier

Carrier Control question update and new question

(1/3) > >>

Roy Johnson:
In the process of getting my throttle rigged on the Crusader and another issue has come up. I just can't get enough throw on the throttle portion of the 3 line bell crank and no matter what I do the throttle bell crank is not traveling far enough and is operating poorly. The elevator control and the hook drop works fine. So what i want to do is just build a radio control for the throttle. A local club that has carrier guys have looked at controls and really can't help as the bell crank is buried and would require cutting the whole plane apart to get to it.
I have lots of radio stuff on 2.4Hz. I have 3 Traxxis car controllers. Some of the carrier guys I see are using car controllers for throttles.
I have 2 HiTec receivers free to use. The problem is I can't get the receivers to pair with transmitters.
Anybody out there have any experience with these?
Since I'm on a budget I kinda want to use what I have and not to have to rush out and buy a lotta new stuff.
I've done RC for over 40 years so I'm not a complete noob on the stuff, just can't figure out the pairing sequence.
On the controllers in addition to the regular steering and throttle trigger I have a "Set" button.
I have 2 Traxxix transmitters that are labeled TQ
and one that is a TQ Link.

Thanks,
Roy

bill bischoff:
Traxxas transmitters need Traxxas receivers. I would suggest contacting Traxxas. Their customer support is very good. They can tell you if you have receivers and transmitters that will actually communicate with each other, and how to link or bind them. In order to be legal, the transmitters must be 2.4 ghz, not the crystal controlled 27 mhz models with the long metal antenna.

On your original problem, you may have run afoul of some confusing product branding. There are two styles of 3 line handles and bellcranks, and they have different amounts of throttle control travel. The original brand has the shorter travel. It is labelled Sturdi Built and/or J-Roberts. The other brand with more travel was first sold under the G-S brand, then later the L&R brand. Ultimately it was picked up by Brodak, and labelled Brodak/ J-Roberts. Thus, there are two different and incompatible product lines both bearing the J-Roberts name.

All that being said, they only way this could be your problem is if you have an "old" handle and a "new" bellcrank. If you bought everything new from Brodak, this can't be your problem. If you bought equipment on ebay, it's a possibility. Have the local carrier guys look at your handle compared to theirs. If there's a difference, try theirs. You may need to play with line lengths, though. Try making some short temporary test lines out of some .020 or .025 music wire.

If you think you have a matched handle and bellcrank, then you either have a mis-rigged throttle linkage to the engine, mismatched line lengths, or some sort of mechanical obstruction limiting the bellcrank. Hook up your lines and handle to the airplane. Make note of the throttle movement. Disconnect the pushrod from the carb. Do you get more movement of the throttle linkage? If so, readjust the linkage. Push the throttle trigger forward, then pull the throttle line toward you. Does the throttle move more? If so, your throttle line is too long. Try a shorter line connector on the throttle line, or bigger connectors on the up and down lines. Now, pull the throttle trigger all the way back. Unhook the throttle line so it is slack. Do you get more movement? If so, then the throttle line is too short. Try a longer line connector.

I've made many sets of carrier lines, and getting all the line lengths right is quite a balancing act. I think I've only had two sets that worked properly with all the same length line connectors. Two things that I learned along the way are to always pre-stretch your lines because  they will change when a load is applied, and leave the throttle disconnected until last. If the bellcrank isn't working right, the throttle won't work right, and if the throttle isn't working right, it can keep the bellcrank from working right.

Of course, using a radio operated throttle instead means you won't have to worry about any of it.  :)

Roy Johnson:

--- Quote from: bill bischoff on August 26, 2023, 05:04:05 PM ---Traxxas transmitters need Traxxas receivers. I would suggest contacting Traxxas. Their customer support is very good. They can tell you if you have receivers and transmitters that will actually communicate with each other, and how to link or bind them. In order to be legal, the transmitters must be 2.4 ghz, not the crystal controlled 27 mhz models with the long metal antenna.

On your original problem, you may have run afoul of some confusing product branding. There are two styles of 3 line handles and bellcranks, and they have different amounts of throttle control travel. The original brand has the shorter travel. It is labelled Sturdi Built and/or J-Roberts. The other brand with more travel was first sold under the G-S brand, then later the L&R brand. Ultimately it was picked up by Brodak, and labelled Brodak/ J-Roberts. Thus, there are two different and incompatible product lines both bearing the J-Roberts name.

All that being said, they only way this could be your problem is if you have an "old" handle and a "new" bellcrank. If you bought everything new from Brodak, this can't be your problem. If you bought equipment on ebay, it's a possibility. Have the local carrier guys look at your handle compared to theirs. If there's a difference, try theirs. You may need to play with line lengths, though. Try making some short temporary test lines out of some .020 or .025 music wire.

If you think you have a matched handle and bellcrank, then you either have a mis-rigged throttle linkage to the engine, mismatched line lengths, or some sort of mechanical obstruction limiting the bellcrank. Hook up your lines and handle to the airplane. Make note of the throttle movement. Disconnect the pushrod from the carb. Do you get more movement of the throttle linkage? If so, readjust the linkage. Push the throttle trigger forward, then pull the throttle line toward you. Does the throttle move more? If so, your throttle line is too long. Try a shorter line connector on the throttle line, or bigger connectors on the up and down lines. Now, pull the throttle trigger all the way back. Unhook the throttle line so it is slack. Do you get more movement? If so, then the throttle line is too short. Try a longer line connector.

I've made many sets of carrier lines, and getting all the line lengths right is quite a balancing act. I think I've only had two sets that worked properly with all the same length line connectors. Two things that I learned along the way are to always pre-stretch your lines because  they will change when a load is applied, and leave the throttle disconnected until last. If the bellcrank isn't working right, the throttle won't work right, and if the throttle isn't working right, it can keep the bellcrank from working right.

Of course, using a radio operated throttle instead means you won't have to worry about any of it.  :)

--- End quote ---

Bill, thanks for taking the time to reply. A couple of things. The Crusader kit was a donation from a friend and I built it because I've never had nor have I flown a Carrier plane a carrier plane. A friend I grew up with flying models donated it to me. And he is in a small club that specializes in carrier/throttle planes. So I took the plane up there for a flying session just to get feedback. None of the guys could really come up with a fix. I watched them fly and I was pretty amazed at just how good they could control their planes, throttling and flying. They were half/half 3 line and 2.4Hz. When I examined their bellcranks I noticed that they had modified them by enlarging the slots and extending the range the slots would go. Compared to my bellcrank they were extremely loose. So part of my conclusion was that the stock configuration on mine were too tight and not enough travel. Since I can't modify it now I'll just add on a 2.4 radio throttle. I did go online and found 2 channel Traxxas receivers available so I'll be able to do this fairly easily. Agian, thanks for the tips. I'm looking forward to getting it flying and maybe another future carrier plane build with all the lessons I've learned.

PS: I don't know the bellcrank manufacturer as I had 3 in my stash that were new but unbagged. I picked the one that looked like was indicated on the plans. The control handle is labeled "GS Products". And no problem with making 3 lines accurately as I have jig fixtures for my backyard to cut lines and I make them all the time.

Roy

john vlna:
Roy as I mentioned last Sunday there is an easy fix. I wrote the attached a long time ago when I was the NCS Hi-Lo newsletter editor.  The graphics have gone missing but I  have one glow plane left. This should give you the information you need for a throttle  transfer. If you can meke the picnic next week I'll bring the plane

Of course you will have to do this all on one side because of how you BC is mounted.

john vlna:
Roy also check my post in the 15 Nationals thead below. It has links to the Hobbyking products that Tim, George and I use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version