News:

• May 13, 2024, 07:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Guardian build  (Read 587 times)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak Guardian build
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
Just started on the Guardian wing and decided to shorten the wing by one bay at each tip.  The wing looks thicker than needed and have considered sanding the ribs a bit to thin the wing.  Would that be"legal" for profile?

Also, the plans/instructions are a bit unclear to me as to the actual arrangement of the ply tip rib; should the ply tip rib be on the "outside" or the "inside" of the tip?

My engine options are TT 36 or Webra 32--------opinions on which would be better, please?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Guardian build
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »
Jim, after a number of changes this is what I wound up with. I removed one panel per side on the wing. I reduced all of the ribs by 1/4" per side. I moved the wing forward 1/2" and reduced the stab/elavator by 1/8" around the circumforance. I went from the standard rudder and sub rudders to the round tail version thinking there is to much stab and elavator area and because I think there was to much rudder area. My fuel tank is built into the wing with the bottom of the tank sitting on the centerline of the airfoil. The big leap was the slider because I dont exactly agree with the non prototypical attitude of the airplane on slow speed but I did it anyhow. I also put the B/C on the outside of the wing which makes things a lot easier to deal with when using sliders. Now it flies like this. It also tracks real nice on high speed. I have attached a slow flight picture.
As for your engine choice I would go with the TT .36 although I think I would change the carb to an OS that fits. My airplane has an Irvine .36 but the Irvine carb is not so great so I switched to an OS 4BK which happens to drop in and it runs great. I am having fun with this airplane and I think baring any catastrophies I should have a good year in 2012.
All of that said, the Brodak Profile Guardian does very well box stock anyhow as can be seen at Brodak Fly In.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:13:33 PM »
When you say you reduced all the ribs by 1/4 inch per side, does that mean the wing will wind up 1/2" thinner?

I know nuttin' bout sliders an such,  I'm more interested in the older style of Carrier, but I know nuttin' about it, too!  I'm thinking about building the inboard tip pretty much as on the plans, with the leadouts in what I hope will be an optimum position, but ground adjustable.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 04:36:11 AM »
Thats correct, I reduced them by 1/2". The Brodak Guardian has a thick wing and I had to much trouble with the airplane floating. This current airplane is my 6th using the Brodak kit as a base. You can build the kit stock and have just as much fun with carrier as you want. I just wanted to let you know about some of the things I tried. Ther is all kinds of information in this section.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:15:35 AM »
I agree that the Guardian, with a few modifications, can be an excellent performer. I wrote the modifications I made up in detail in the July-August, 2009, issue of Hi-Low Landings and I recommend you look at that. The main mods were to remove the outer bay on each wing, to reduce the height of the fuse by trimming up to 3/8" off top and bottom, and putting the controls external, below the wing. I did not change the airfoil. Bill Calkins, the designer, would agree that removing one bay from each tip greatly improves the performance of the model, so at least that trivial modification is highly recommended.
I have had fatigue failures of the aluminum rod used to make the support of the line slider, so I recommend that anyone using a line slider change the mounting method to something more durable, perhaps steel wire or perhaps plywood struts.
I strongly recommend putting the bellcrank eternal, below the wing and keyed into the fuse with the ply fuse doublers extending all the way back past the bellcrank platform. The controls will be accessible for changes you might wish to make to the leadout system later. For example, you might start with fixed leadouts at the "normal" position, then gradually move them rearward to see how you like it. You can have fixed leadouts near the trailing edge and hang the model. If you like it, you could add a slider later, since everything would be external.
Pete

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
When I first looked at the plans, I was struck by the wing thickness, but didn't know how much it had been/could be thinned without running into problems-----so, I wanted to be sure that I understood your post.

Thanks for all the tips.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »
No problem. Enjoy.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here