News:
2018----><---- T Shirt

• June 22, 2018, 08:46:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak fun carrier  (Read 526 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak fun carrier
« on: March 09, 2018, 07:48:39 PM »
I don't see the fun carrier listed on the Brodak web site and is LA 25 racing in or out?????
rad racer

Offline john vlna

• Admiral
Re: Brodak fun carrier
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »
Bob
Fun carrier is listed on the entry form, but no rules posted yet
John

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:05:42 PM »
found it, thanks
rad racer

Online Paul Smith

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 08:10:05 AM »
My events are:

Perky, Fox 35 Speed, Sportsman Stunt Speed and 25 Fun Carrier.

No racing events from me this year.  But the usual Foxberg and Clown, by others, are still in.

Details often slip by the Brodak flyer.  If something is missing I can post again.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 04:45:07 PM »
 :)  Hi y'all!  Well, I got bored and decided to build one of the Brodak profile Bearcats that I had sitting on the shelf  ;D.  The build was fairly smooth and I used all the items recommended in the instructions.  Now for the part that I don't understand (since I've never flown a carrier plane nor have I ever see one other than on You Tube).  Today, I hooked up an OS 25 r/c, in keeping with the rules for the Brodak "Fun Carrier" event.  The hookup went smoothly enough but it appears that as the plane would be flying and pulling outboard, away from me (centrifugal force), it would drive the throttle to the full closed position.  Thus, one would have to squeeze the trigger of the three line handle to open the throttle (by pulling the plane towards the center of the circle).  Is this the correct setup?  Should the throttle be setup so that the throttle would be fully closed (thus killing the engine) when there is no pressure on the trigger?  I look forward to learning how to avoid destroying this thing on it's first flight  %^@!   LL~ LL~

(p.s.:  If anyone is interested in providing it a "good home" please feel free to drop me a pm as it has not been flown and really should be under the control of someone who knows what they're doing  ;D)

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »
Some like the throttle set up to have the trigger forward for high and pulled rearward to slow. Some prefer to have the trigger full back for high and move forward for slow. Your choice.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran
35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66
North Coast Controliners

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 11:22:18 PM »
I'm one who likes forward for low, back for high, like a motorcycle throttle. I have heard that others set it up like an airplane throttle, forward for high, pull back for low. If it works for you, it's right. You said full "off" will kill the engine. If the carb has a low speed stop screw adjust it so that the engine is still running (barely) when the throttle is full off. If not, you will kill it in the air and/or be unable to go around in the case of a long landing.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online john e. holliday

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:34 PM »
Your choice on throttle set up.  I have flown my Bearcat both ways with two different engines.  Right now with the Webra .32 it is forward trigger for high.  Discovered this after changing engines and not getting a test flight before hand.   Seemed to work better and I left it that way.   As stated there should be a throttle stop so you can control how low the throttle can go or you can control it with another control arm between the main bell crank and throttle arm.  Do a search on Bill Bischoff's set up on here. D>K

Will learn to spell his name right one of these years. HB~>
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530

Offline BillCalkins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
I use high speed with the throttle pulled back. I like to think of it like an electric drill. You pull thigger to make it go and let it off to slow down.

Online Paul Smith

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »
I've done the throttle both ways.  For a while I believed it was a coin toss decision.

I have been MADE to believe that PULL for high is better because it tends to put full tension on the UP-DOWN lines at high speed when you  might need all the flight control force you can get.  With this setup in Carrier (and especially Scale) you can rig the throttle line so you CAN'T kill the engine with the trigger.  Then you CAN kill the engine by tweaking the throttle line with your other hand when you want to end the flight.

That being said, I have set up plane with PUSH for high (like real airplanes) but now I have seen the error of my sinful ways.

Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 07:25:38 PM »
Gentlemen, to each and everyone, let me say Thank You!  I will toy around with the setup as you have suggested. 

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 10:35:30 PM »
If you want it to go the other way, simply flip the throttle arm around so it points up instead of down. Re-bend the throttle pushrod as required, and you're good to go.

Offline Jim Carter

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
If you want it to go the other way, simply flip the throttle arm around so it points up instead of down. Re-bend the throttle pushrod as required, and you're good to go.
Kool!  ;D

Online Paul Smith

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »
Sometimes that's easier said than done due to exhaust, muffler and fuel tank interference.

I have some planes with reversing bellcranks to get the direction and throw correct.
Paul Smith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 02:49:06 PM »
Looking at the picture of his plane, I don't think that would be a problem in this case.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 09:35:41 PM »
Guys I've got my "Fun Carrier" plane all together. I did away with the arresting hook being operated by the movement of the elevator and installed a micro servo near the tail to operate the hook release. When the weather clears I'll start learning how to fly it. Hopefully I won't rekit it learning. Pics to follow.

Tags: