News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:17:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak fun carrier  (Read 4033 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak fun carrier
« on: March 09, 2018, 07:48:39 PM »
I don't see the fun carrier listed on the Brodak web site and is LA 25 racing in or out?????
rad racer

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak fun carrier
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »
Bob
Fun carrier is listed on the entry form, but no rules posted yet
John

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:05:42 PM »
found it, thanks
rad racer

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 08:10:05 AM »
My events are:

Perky, Fox 35 Speed, Sportsman Stunt Speed and 25 Fun Carrier.

No racing events from me this year.  But the usual Foxberg and Clown, by others, are still in.

Details often slip by the Brodak flyer.  If something is missing I can post again.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 04:45:07 PM »
 :)  Hi y'all!  Well, I got bored and decided to build one of the Brodak profile Bearcats that I had sitting on the shelf  ;D.  The build was fairly smooth and I used all the items recommended in the instructions.  Now for the part that I don't understand (since I've never flown a carrier plane nor have I ever see one other than on You Tube).  Today, I hooked up an OS 25 r/c, in keeping with the rules for the Brodak "Fun Carrier" event.  The hookup went smoothly enough but it appears that as the plane would be flying and pulling outboard, away from me (centrifugal force), it would drive the throttle to the full closed position.  Thus, one would have to squeeze the trigger of the three line handle to open the throttle (by pulling the plane towards the center of the circle).  Is this the correct setup?  Should the throttle be setup so that the throttle would be fully closed (thus killing the engine) when there is no pressure on the trigger?  I look forward to learning how to avoid destroying this thing on it's first flight  %^@!   LL~ LL~

(p.s.:  If anyone is interested in providing it a "good home" please feel free to drop me a pm as it has not been flown and really should be under the control of someone who knows what they're doing  ;D)

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »
Some like the throttle set up to have the trigger forward for high and pulled rearward to slow. Some prefer to have the trigger full back for high and move forward for slow. Your choice.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 11:22:18 PM »
I'm one who likes forward for low, back for high, like a motorcycle throttle. I have heard that others set it up like an airplane throttle, forward for high, pull back for low. If it works for you, it's right. You said full "off" will kill the engine. If the carb has a low speed stop screw adjust it so that the engine is still running (barely) when the throttle is full off. If not, you will kill it in the air and/or be unable to go around in the case of a long landing.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:34 PM »
Your choice on throttle set up.  I have flown my Bearcat both ways with two different engines.  Right now with the Webra .32 it is forward trigger for high.  Discovered this after changing engines and not getting a test flight before hand.   Seemed to work better and I left it that way.   As stated there should be a throttle stop so you can control how low the throttle can go or you can control it with another control arm between the main bell crank and throttle arm.  Do a search on Bill Bischoff's set up on here. D>K

Will learn to spell his name right one of these years. HB~>
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline BillCalkins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
I use high speed with the throttle pulled back. I like to think of it like an electric drill. You pull thigger to make it go and let it off to slow down.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »
I've done the throttle both ways.  For a while I believed it was a coin toss decision.

I have been MADE to believe that PULL for high is better because it tends to put full tension on the UP-DOWN lines at high speed when you  might need all the flight control force you can get.  With this setup in Carrier (and especially Scale) you can rig the throttle line so you CAN'T kill the engine with the trigger.  Then you CAN kill the engine by tweaking the throttle line with your other hand when you want to end the flight.

That being said, I have set up plane with PUSH for high (like real airplanes) but now I have seen the error of my sinful ways.

Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 07:25:38 PM »
Gentlemen, to each and everyone, let me say Thank You!  I will toy around with the setup as you have suggested. 

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 10:35:30 PM »
If you want it to go the other way, simply flip the throttle arm around so it points up instead of down. Re-bend the throttle pushrod as required, and you're good to go.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
If you want it to go the other way, simply flip the throttle arm around so it points up instead of down. Re-bend the throttle pushrod as required, and you're good to go.
Kool!  ;D

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »
Sometimes that's easier said than done due to exhaust, muffler and fuel tank interference.

I have some planes with reversing bellcranks to get the direction and throw correct.
Paul Smith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 02:49:06 PM »
Looking at the picture of his plane, I don't think that would be a problem in this case.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 09:35:41 PM »
Guys I've got my "Fun Carrier" plane all together. I did away with the arresting hook being operated by the movement of the elevator and installed a micro servo near the tail to operate the hook release. When the weather clears I'll start learning how to fly it. Hopefully I won't rekit it learning. Pics to follow.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 07:52:44 AM »
The event went very well for the first pass.  We got four entries, which isn't bad for a First Day rollout.

The prediction that everybody would get 250 didn't happen.  I did 235 with two different demo models, a 3-line and 2.4.  I intended to build up the entries by loaning them out, but both went sour before anybody else got a good score with them. 

Chip got his first carrier plane working well and won this event, as well as recording a score in Sportsman Profile.

This my old LA-25 Racer repurposed to Fun Carrier.  The absence of airframe rules allows anything to be used.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 10:31:09 AM »
I'm planning to run the event again in 2019.

I made a couple of small tweaks to the rules.  Nothing that will change any equipment.

See the attached Word document.

No need to find Waldo.  I changed the laps between high & low from two to four because the officials wanted more time to record the high time and reset watches.

Something of a biggie, a new way to compute LOW points.  It's simply the low time divided by 2.4.  This effectively concedes a 75 MPH high to everybody for low speed points.  The maximum low speed score is still 50 points, based on 15 MPH low.  Thus High & Low are two independent scores with low points not effected by high speed.

One example; A Brodak Super Clown with an OS 25,

Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
One current project is re-engining this Brodak 1/2A Pathfinder from a 15 to and RC-25 for Fun Carrier.

It went just OK as a 15 Carrier model, but not better than two others I own, so I decided to go yet another way with it. 

Paul Smith

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 04:39:06 PM »
Paul don't you think the little Pathfinder is small for a 25 sized engine?.....Cheers,Skip

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 09:56:49 AM »
Paul don't you think the little Pathfinder is small for a 25 sized engine?.....Cheers,Skip

Well, it's 236 square inches.  It went OK with a 15.  I put a Supertiger 23 on it, which is a light 25-class engine. 
I like the Pathfinder because it has a high aspect wing. 
That puts to tip weight father out which is more effective.
It puts the leadout guide farther inboard which is good for stability.
I think the longer wing tends to fight roll better than a short wing.  I sort of slowly shake my head a low-aspect carrier models.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 07:50:24 AM »
Results:

We had seven entries, of which six flew.
Naomi entered her 15-size Fury, which took second in 15 class.  I made a command decision to let her use 52' line & 8 laps, but she & Lenny were deeply involved in stunt & scale so she didn't fly.

I flew three models, the Super Clown (3-line OS), the Shark (2.4 OS) and the Pathfinder (2.3 with ST 23) and three had winning scores, 241 being the best.  I was not able to do the possible 250.

George Maranka, Tim LeNore and John Vlna shared two round models, OS-powered with 2.4 and claimed 2nd, 3rd and 4th with times in the 220 to 228 range.

Skip Chernoff flew his own design (sort of a small Twister) and came in 5th.  The plane was a bit the worse for wear after having been (in my opinion) overpowered with a bigger engine to flew Sportsman Profile.

Steve Hare came in 5th with a Top Flite Tudor II with field-installed hook, which actually worked and scored a landing.

Seven paid entries (6 flown) is a good showing for a unique local event.

In the interest of fun & participation we allow sharing of airplanes, use of several planes, and unlimited attempts. 
But each person and each airplane is limited to ONE award.  Thus there are some scores marked "pass".
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 08:21:26 AM »
I had to use a second post to get the pitcher in.

The event has possible maximum score of 250, which requires a clean takeoff, 75 MPH high (flying start) a 15 MPH low and a landing with the engine running.

The Low Speed score is calculated from an assumed High of 75 MPH, not the actual High.  Thus the Low points are not tied to the High.

Although it has been speculated that guys to do that all day long, it hasn't happened yet.  After many attempts, my best was 241.5. 

All three of my planes have been re-purposed from other events.  Maybe I'll have dedicated Fun Carrier plane next year.

My planes are a bit ratty-looking, but yours will be too after a few seasons of carrier testing, practice and competition.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 08:26:25 AM »

Wellll, I must admit, the planes with more wing area do better on Low speed and landing. And,,,, tiny wings don't help when you're flying with a speed limit.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here