Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Carrier

Basic carrier control line question

(1/3) > >>

Roy Johnson:
Got a noob question I wanted to put out there to the guys that may know. I am normally a sporty/combat/ and racing CL guy and I'm getting close to finishing my first carrier plane. Its an older Dumas Crusader. I'm going very old school and using 3 lines because I already have a 3 line control handle and didn't want to sacrifice an RC transmitter to do the current 2.4. The question is do you set the throttle for idle when the trigger is pulled back or the opposite? My gut feeling is I want the default position of the carb to be at full throttle in case the plane gets a bit loose on the lines. and I was going to install a light spring on the carb to load it to full throttle. So whats the correct install? Thx

Bob Heywood:
It is a matter of preference but the J. Roberts instructions show full throttle with the trigger pulled back. Pushing the trigger forward slows the engine. This is how I set-up my planes.

Normally, the J. Roberts control unit pushes the throttle control rod forward for low speed. But, many R/C carbs operate the opposite way so I have to use some sort of reversing lever to get things to work right.

With the J. Roberts system there is no spring return. When properly made all three lines share the flight load and the throttle will stay in whatever position it is in if you relax your pull on the trigger.

bdt-m:

--- Quote from: Roy Johnson on June 28, 2023, 02:00:46 PM ---Got a noob question I wanted to put out there to the guys that may know. I am normally a sporty/combat/ and racing CL guy and I'm getting close to finishing my first carrier plane. Its an older Dumas Crusader. I'm going very old school and using 3 lines because I already have a 3 line control handle and didn't want to sacrifice an RC transmitter to do the current 2.4. The question is do you set the throttle for idle when the trigger is pulled back or the opposite? My gut feeling is I want the default position of the carb to be at full throttle in case the plane gets a bit loose on the lines. and I was going to install a light spring on the carb to load it to full throttle. So whats the correct install? Thx

--- End quote ---

I would not recommend for the model's default setting to be "full throttle" when the plane gets a bit loose on the lines as you stated, this can result in a dangerous situation. When a carrier plane becomes loose on the lines, the model is not necessarily tangent to the circle, most of the time it is pointing inward, down, up or a combination of these characteristics, the model can 'snap' violently if full throttle is applied or the default.... IMO full throttle is the last option you want to employ.

Normally, as well as most of the time, pulling all the way back on the trigger is full throttle, pushing forward all the way is idle. All three lines are load bearing. Adding a rubber band or spring to the handles throttle lever to keep it forward in the idle position is also a way to insure idle is the set & default position at all times.

john e. holliday:
I have learned to spring load the throttle arm on the J-Roberts handle.  It is set to pull the arm to towards the plane that is flying.  Use another arm on the plane to make the throttle work the way you want.  By the way if you use Brodak throttle bell cranks you need the arm to adlust for full throttle control as the J-Roberts handle has a different amount of movement than the later handles.  I have had low speed with throttle trigger forward and also have had it with trigger back.  It takes practice on which way you want the low and high speed.  If you read the carrier section on here you will see post about a lot of this. D>K

john vlna:
I always used the trigger back for high speed. I built a jig for the handle and bellcrank. The difference between the up/down and throttle length was the easy to compensate for in the lead outs, then all flying lines are of equal length. Today I find 2,4Ghz much easier and use  for all throttle planes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version